U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,193,540 times

Advertisements

Mandala Tea Room - Scottsdale, AZ

Green - San Antonio, TX

Trattoria La Strada (not fully veg)- San Diego, CA

Veggie Garden - Dallas, TX

CHAINS:
Freebirds - both brown and black beans and rice are vegetarian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,514,841 times
Places that have all day breakfast usually gives you some okay options. Indian and some Asian places. I haven't been to Ethiopian, but I've read it's good.

Salad bar places like Souplantation, even Sizzler as it has a reasonably sized salad and stuff bar (potatoes, etc..).

Chili's appears to have bean burgers.

Check on happycow.net for suitable veg places.

I agree, Cracker Barrel isn't good.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Oh and also...

Flying Saucer is a bar/chain that has a veggie burger, veggie pizza, a "hippie wrap" and they also have quesadillas with chicken...

I get them without the chicken and have them add grilled veggies - their black beans are vegetarian too.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 PM

538 posts, read 1,126,997 times
Eating out is very very difficult if you're vegan. I'm ovo-lacto myself, so I can usually find something on the menu wherever I go. Also, I grew up in Ohio and my mom was too busy to cook, so I have tons of experience eating vegetarian in chain restaurants.

Most italian places are pretty veggie friendly. Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, etc.

I usually do pretty well at California Pizza Kitchen as well. And Chili's has the black bean burger, like some people have said. You can get the black bean patty on any burger on the menu. They also have veggie fajitas.

Most Chinese and Thai restaurants will make any dish on the menu with tofu if you ask. Authentic, mom and pop Chinese and Thai are usually better about this than chains like PF Changs where a lot of the sauces and mixes are pre-measured and packaged, and the cook doesn't actually mix the ingredients himself.

Panera Bread is great if you want fast food. Lots of the soups and salads are veg, in addition to a few of the sandiwches. Baja Fresh and Moe's Southwest Grill type burrito joints usually have several veggie menu options. Moe's has tofu as an ingredient in some of their burritos.

I really like the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday's. Not a bad place to go if you're in the mood for a salad and the special carnivore in your life wants a burger.

For true fast food, Burger King has a BK Veggie that is pretty decent (for fast food, that is). Also, at Taco Bell, you can get a lot of things made with beans instead of beef. Taco bell usually gets my fast food dollar.

A lot of Mexican restaurants have bean burritos, cheese enchiladas, or spinach enchiladas on their menus - even chains. Beware though that some Mexican restaurants put lard in the refried beans, so be sure to ask when you order. Usually, "rancho" beans do not have lard. And black beans usually don't either.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM

Be careful about PF Changs, some of those sauces are NOT vegetarian. The Lo Mein sauce is not vegetarian, but an alternative sauce can be used on request.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,039,235 times
I am lucky enough to come from a town in the UK which is home to Terre a terre - Terre a Terre, Vegetarian Restaurant, Brighton

The best in the UK, one of the very best of its kind in the world - not expensive, not fancy, not big - just fabulous world-class food. Just read a review or the menu and drool...........

Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,949,245 times
We love Taco Bell fresco bean burrito! It too is usually our fast food option. Jason's Deli is a good option too. What about Pei Wei (owned by PF Changs). Any Middleastern place is good and has various options (veggie cabbage rolls, veggie grapeleaves, baba/humus dips, falafel, etc.). We had Ethiopian food for the first time recently, it offers many different options.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,183,434 times
Bonefish Grill has absolutely no vegetarian selections.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM

8,192 posts, read 22,275,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Red Robin question-do they toss the veggie burgers on the same grill as the beef burgers?
Corporate policy is more than likely to have a separate space for possible legal reasons/gossip if a veg found out that the veggie burgers were cooked on the same grill as meat, however, it is highly possible that most cooks are not going to give a shiv either way.

As someone who has fifteen years experience working in a kitchen, has been vegan for eight years (although it ended four years ago), has had/have friends who are/were vegan/vegetarian and have had many of them and other friends work in restaurants; I must say this: unless you are eating at a place that is either (A) vegetarian/vegan or (B) has a special menu that at least partially caters to vegetarians/vegans (by special menu I am talking about actual food items that are specifically sold as veg, not just your typical garden salad, pasta w/marinara, or bread sticks) you will always run the risk of receiving food that has been 'contaminated'. Sometimes on purpose.

By the way; there is not much 'animal' left on the grill after a real hamburger has been cooked on it. Carbon is carbon regardless of its original source. I understand that it is out of principle, but I am just saying, the grill is pretty clean.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 PM

8,192 posts, read 22,275,703 times
And just a heads up:

Most traditional Mexican restaurants use lard and chicken broth in a lot of their dishes, even the ones that they claim are vegetarian.

Chinese cooking is the same; chicken and beef broth is highly used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food