Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times

Advertisements

One more thing....

I noticed yesterday that this thread started in the main food forum so no one should get the idea that some omnis came into this area to start a ruckus - in fact, the reverse is true.

If we want this forum to avoid becoming a mosh pit of tit-for-tat with our omni friends, I suggest we refrain from getting too "in your face" with them in the main forum, lest some of them be tempted to respond in kind.

Peace,

XP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
If your teeth were designed for cutting meat, you would be able to tear open ther animal's skin and rip meat out with your own teeth (like the long teeth of real carnivores/omnivores). I'll bet a dollar that you use a knife to cut yours into pieces small enough that you can eat them with our stubby herbivore teeth.

Also, real carnivores/ominvores eat their meat raw, straight from the body of their killed prey. Is this how you prefer it?
Incisors (from Latin incidere, "to cut") are the first kind of tooth in heterodont mammals. They are located in the premaxilla above and mandible below. Guess what? I've got 'em - so do you.

I do use a knife and fork, but that's more social custom and cleanliness than need. As far as cow and a lot of fish goes, the rarer the better. I never gotten in to raw poultry though. Fire does add to my enjoyment of that particular flesh.

Quote:
The GI tracts of carnivores are very short so the meat can be digested quickly. Herbivores have a digestive tract which is a few times the length of their own body. Do you remember how long your small and large intenstives are (hint: 4+ times as long as your body)? This is why human meat eaters are so prone to colon cancer and other GI issues because the meat sits there for days, weeks, and months trying to digest when its alreasdy gone rancid in your intentines.
So? I'm not a carnivore; I'm an omnivore. My intestines handle both meat and vegetables, and it's all out of my system in days. Eating steak makes me feel great. I only get tired if I over eat; and if I overeat tofu I'd feel the same way. I don't believe for a nanosecond that meat causes cancer. There may be a higher rate of cancers in omni's over vegetarians - I'd give you that; but that doesn't mean meat causes cancer. I do believe that some of the things we use to preserve meats, the ways we process and cook it, the things we eat with it, and even the amount that we eat cause problems.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Prevent Animal Cruelty by Adopting a Vegetarian Diet | ChooseVeg.com

The barbarism of meat production is truly horrifying. How can anyone with a conscience turn away from these horrors and continue to support such unspeakable cruelty by consuming meat products?
I farm and raise livestock, and this vid is not the norm.......not even close. Obviously it does happen and it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know anyone that treats their animals like what I have seen on the vid, and I know many from N. Dakota to Texas, Missouri to Nevada.

To truely understand, you must visit a farm yourself.

This is an extreme example, and I can show you the complete opposite. Cattle getting massages, beer, all the fresh food and water they want/need(they can eat too much and die).

But I do understand your point, living in NYC you don't get to see many farmers/livestock operations, and you see this vid........I'd probably think the same.

For the other 99.9% of farmers/ranchers, this is not how it is done.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Incisors (from Latin incidere, "to cut") are the first kind of tooth in heterodont mammals. They are located in the premaxilla above and mandible below. Guess what? I've got 'em - so do you.

I do use a knife and fork, but that's more social custom and cleanliness than need. As far as cow and a lot of fish goes, the rarer the better. I never gotten in to raw poultry though. Fire does add to my enjoyment of that particular flesh.

So? I'm not a carnivore; I'm an omnivore. My intestines handle both meat and vegetables, and it's all out of my system in days. Eating steak makes me feel great. I only get tired if I over eat; and if I overeat tofu I'd feel the same way. I don't believe for a nanosecond that meat causes cancer. There may be a higher rate of cancers in omni's over vegetarians - I'd give you that; but that doesn't mean meat causes cancer. I do believe that some of the things we use to preserve meats, the ways we process and cook it, the things we eat with it, and even the amount that we eat cause problems.
Sure, they're called incisors but compare your teeth to a real carnivore's and you'll see what I mean. Don't need utensils? Are you saying you are capable of chasing down an animal and tearing its skin open with your stubby teeth (regardless of name) and eating its flesh raw? If humans were designed to be carnivores/omnivores, you should be able to do it all with no tools - just like a lion, tiger, etc. Don't confuse technology for biology.

To each his own but if you check the peer reviewed medical studies, you'll find a strong connection between meat consupmtion and cancer, heart disease, obesity, erectile disfunction, etc.

Last edited by Xpat; 09-07-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Everyone is entitled to their own view.
To me killing animals for anything other than survival is wrong. If you can easily survive on food that does not take the life of a living being, that is right way to live, IMO.

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-07-2008, 01:21 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own view.
To me killing animals for anything other than survival is wrong. If you can easily survive on food that does not take the life of a living being, that is right way to live, IMO.
My thoughts exactly, KF. That is what my heart and head tell me.

I, for one, would like to visit some of these animal friendly farms you speak of Capt Cave Man. I'm quite serious. But my guess is that they are not huge, industrial farms.

I, too, know several people who farm animals, but they are small farmers by any stretch of the imagination. I know people (if fact, every single one of my friends) who hunt and raise livestock for food. I don't understand how huge production farming can possibly be as humane as they are to their animals - I do not understand why they do it, however, since they all live within twenty miles of a supermarket. It's certainly not for survival.

I did not watch that video that was posted. Inhumane treatment of animals is never OK in my book - no matter who's doing it. It may not be the norm, but it exists and any farmer or hunter who has intergrity would be appalled, as you said.

Are you saying that "friendly farms" are the norm for the meat industry, and that the video depicts the unusual happening? I'm having a hard time with that, being a skeptical person - but then, I was born in NYC, raised there and upstate.

I've seen/visited large farms, huge feedlots and mass production kill factories (but didn't go inside - it was cocktail hour, and the cows were in the middle of their masage therapy ~ ).

Old 09-07-2008, 02:26 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Sure, they're called incisors but compare your teeth to a real carnivore's and you'll see what I mean.
But I never claimed to be a pure carnivore. We're well adapted to eat a large variety of foods.

Quote:
Don't need utensils? Are you saying you are capable of chasing down an animal and tearing its skin open with your stubby teeth (regardless of name) and eating its flesh raw? If humans were designed to be carnivores/omnivores, you should be able to do it all with no tools - just like a lion, tiger, etc. Don't confuse technology for biology.
Am I capable chasing down a cow and eating it raw, using no tools? I wouldn't want to, but yeah, I think I could if I had to. Rabbits are probably too fast, but I did catch a baby one with my bare hands once. Certainly easier to kill without tools. I'm very sure I could kill a Canadian Goose with my bare hands. Wild hog? No, that'd be a real pain to kill without any tools. I don't think I could pull that off in a cage match. But where is this argument going?

Animal protein is complete, if you really want to argue about what we're designed for. Sure, you can get a full host of amino acids by eating a mixure of grains and legumes; but meat's one stop shopping.

Quote:
To each his own but if you check the peer reviewed medical studies, you'll find a strong connection between meat consupmtion and cancer, heart disease, obesity, erectile disfunction, etc.
Sure, if you compare a vegetarian to someone who eats McDonalds 3 times a week, washes it down with high fructose corn syrup and gets no exersize and I'm sure you'll find a host of meidical issues, but that doesn't mean that meat is a carcinogen. All things in moderation and all that.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Am I capable chasing down a cow and eating it raw, using no tools? I wouldn't want to, but yeah, I think I could if I had to.
OK, I'll bite []. Exactly how would you do that? Reminds me of the song..."kilt him a bar, when he was only 3....Davy, Daaaavy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!"

Quote:
Wild hog? No, that'd be a real pain to kill without any tools.
Dipping into the happy sauce a little early today, aren't you? You are too funny! That "kill" wouldn't last very long..hahahaha.

Quote:
All things in moderation and all that.
Please.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Sure, they're called incisors but compare your teeth to a real carnivore's and you'll see what I mean. Don't need utensils? Are you saying you are capable of chasing down an animal and tearing its skin open with your stubby teeth (regardless of name) and eating its flesh raw? If humans were designed to be carnivores/omnivores, you should be able to do it all with no tools - just like a lion, tiger, etc. Don't confuse technology for biology.

Humans have "evolved". If a cow doesn't want to be eaten, then she better figure out a way.

I guess I see you as a radical X, and there is not much to talk about w/a radical, IMHO.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
My thoughts exactly, KF. That is what my heart and head tell me.

I, for one, would like to visit some of these animal friendly farms you speak of Capt Cave Man. I'm quite serious. But my guess is that they are not huge, industrial farms.

I, too, know several people who farm animals, but they are small farmers by any stretch of the imagination. I know people (if fact, every single one of my friends) who hunt and raise livestock for food. I don't understand how huge production farming can possibly be as humane as they are to their animals - I do not understand why they do it, however, since they all live within twenty miles of a supermarket. It's certainly not for survival.

I did not watch that video that was posted. Inhumane treatment of animals is never OK in my book - no matter who's doing it. It may not be the norm, but it exists and any farmer or hunter who has intergrity would be appalled, as you said.

Are you saying that "friendly farms" are the norm for the meat industry, and that the video depicts the unusual happening? I'm having a hard time with that, being a skeptical person - but then, I was born in NYC, raised there and upstate.

I've seen/visited large farms, huge feedlots and mass production kill factories (but didn't go inside - it was cocktail hour, and the cows were in the middle of their masage therapy ~ ).
We raise over 100K pigs a yr, so I consider us a some what large operation.....yet not even close to the top 100. Also raise over 50K head of cattle, again...same as above.

Raise over 100k bu wheat, and over 300K bu corn. We ARE a family farm, not a factory.

City people don't really understand what is going on, nor do I know what it's like to walk on pavement all the time.

BTW, I'm "average" in my area........and everyone bigger and smaller is also a family farm.

We also have other "ventures" in larger cities, but that is irrelevant.

If I'm not busy, I'd be glad to show someone around to see what really happens.....that is if I'm not busy. I'll be done w/work today in about an hour..........day off as I see it. (and yes, it started at 4:30, at work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food