Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

Prevent Animal Cruelty by Adopting a Vegetarian Diet | ChooseVeg.com

The barbarism of meat production is truly horrifying. How can anyone with a conscience turn away from these horrors and continue to support such unspeakable cruelty by consuming meat products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 PM

734 posts, read 2,617,660 times
Gah!! The horrors....of preachiness!!!

Please move to veggie forum, kthanx.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Simple. By supporting those meat producers who raise their meat humanely and slaughter it humanely. Vote with your dollar in that way - vegetarianism isn't necessary to do so. (And, being an omnivore by nature's design, I prefer not to override the original designer, suspecting I'm not as wise or experienced. Every time I've done so in past, it's turned out badly.)

Old 09-06-2008, 03:05 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Simple. By supporting those meat producers who raise their meat humanely and slaughter it humanely. Vote with your dollar in that way - vegetarianism isn't necessary to do so. (And, being an omnivore by nature's design, I prefer not to override the original designer, suspecting I'm not as wise or experienced. Every time I've done so in past, it's turned out badly.)
Well said.

This forum is the ideal place to raise awareness of well-produced food, so just tell us where to get the good stuff.

I was a vegetarian for 17 years because at one time it was almost impossible to avoid of the horrors of factory farming. Once humanely-produced meat became mainstream and easily available, I reverted to my natural state of omnivore.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Well said.

This forum is the ideal place to raise awareness of well-produced food, so just tell us where to get the good stuff.

I was a vegetarian for 17 years because at one time it was almost impossible to avoid of the horrors of factory farming. Once humanely-produced meat became mainstream and easily available, I reverted to my natural state of omnivore.
Sadly, I must agree with you. As omnivores humans do need some meat. I keep it to a minimum and only use humanely produced sources.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Gah!! The horrors....of preachiness!!!

Please move to veggie forum, kthanx.
No. This isn't a vegetarian issue; it's one of common decency and compassion - attributes in short supply in some people. At least have the moral courage to watch the video and understand what kind of atrocities you're supporting.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
You make a huge assumption when you think that, just because people aren't vegetarian, that they aren't familiar with the atrocities of factory farming, and that we support it. And we all know what happens when you assume, right? How much information do you have on these issues beyond what you see online in propaganda videos? How much personal experience (first or second-hand, via friends) do you have with the raising of meat animals? Have you ever been to a slaughterhouse other than one for mass production? Have you been to ranches where grass-fed beef is raised? Any of this?

There's a distinct difference between eating meat and factory farming. One does not necessarily mean the other, political grandstanding notwithstanding.

Eatwild

Local Harvest

That should get you started.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
That content of that video is just one of the reasons I no longer purchase grocery store nor fast food meat.

The environmental impact of CAFO operations is the other. I live in North Carolina, and I read that we're home to the 2nd largest number of hog CAFO's.

Here's some fun reading from our friends at the EPA about what happens when the "waste" lagoons leak.

Plus, these operations live on a suuply of cheap corn. Growing the corn requires fertilizer, which ends up in runnoff, uses up oil, and fills the land with monoculture.

I love meat, and I've got teeth designed for cutting it, and stomach enzymes for breaking it down; but I'm going to eat meat that's been treated and slaughtered humanely. I pay a little more for it, but I'm happy to do so.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,283 times
Some of these vid's have the camera so close there is no way it is under cover, and people don't usually do things that could cost them their jobs or money openly. I used to watch them kill hogs at a slaughterhouse years ago and those men used the square edge of a single bit axe to do it. One shot and down, you don't want these things thrashing around your feet, they can hurt you bad. Pro's don't fool around. I saw few pro's in those videos; probably people trying to help make a point.I wish people who want to tell the story would try to show it a little more non-biased and let people decide themselves. Sure some of it is really hard and bad but thats life. Farmers want to make money so I know they hire some people that don't give a flip but don't paint everyone into the picture. There are people who do the same to other people, there are animals that do the same to other animals and so on. People say "that's natural", well, people (mostly) eat meat and that's natural; there are alot of us so we have to find the means to eat. If we all went veg do you think the planet could support us....and all the animals that are now not being killed. You need to find a solution before you shut down the existing program. You think there's a better way, good; but until you find it, try to buy smarter and learn what you're talking about so you can find one.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post

I love meat, and I've got teeth designed for cutting it, and stomach enzymes for breaking it down; but I'm going to eat meat that's been treated and slaughtered humanely. I pay a little more for it, but I'm happy to do so.
If your teeth were designed for cutting meat, you would be able to tear open ther animal's skin and rip meat out with your own teeth (like the long teeth of real carnivores/omnivores). I'll bet a dollar that you use a knife to cut yours into pieces small enough that you can eat them with our stubby herbivore teeth.

Also, real carnivores/ominvores eat their meat raw, straight from the body of their killed prey. Is this how you prefer it?

The GI tracts of carnivores are very short so the meat can be digested quickly. Herbivores have a digestive tract which is a few times the length of their own body. Do you remember how long your small and large intenstives are (hint: 4+ times as long as your body)? This is why human meat eaters are so prone to colon cancer and other GI issues because the meat sits there for days, weeks, and months trying to digest when its alreasdy gone rancid in your intentines.

The enzyme that you say breaks down meat, is actually there to break down proteins. The problem for you is that while pepsin can break down meat, its not very good at it which is why you feel heavy and tired after eating a steak (as it takes hours to not fully digest in your stomach before it passes into the small intestine). Pepsin work efficiently with the many plant based proteins which can be digested in 20 minutes and sent onward

In short, the human are designed to be a herbivores. Humans can, with the aid of sharp knives and cooking, eat and partly digest meat (with lots of unhealthy side effects).

If you want to eat meat, that is your choice but just realize that your body was not designed for you to digest it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food