U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM

4,611 posts, read 7,645,729 times
Default Where can I buy Quinoa?

Where can I buy Quinoa? My husband went to the grocery store and couldn't find it. Is it in the rice section of the store? I know it is a grain but he couldn't find it anywhere he said. We are out in a rural area and they may not sell it here but then if they don't can we order it online?

I heard it is a complete protein. So I want to try it. Looks simple to make. Has anyone here tried it or use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

113 posts, read 406,908 times
If there's a natural section of your grocery store, look there. I buy mine in the bulk bins of Wild Oats/Whole Foods, it's much cheaper that way. I found it online here, at Amazon -- Amazon.com: Bob's Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa, 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4): Grocery -- a bit pricey, but better than nothing.

I love quinoa. If it's possible to have a crush on a grain, that's me and quinoa. I use it in lots of ways that I use rice, and it's prepared similarly. The only thing is that there is a bitter residue on quinoa, called saponin, that must be rinsed off before cooking. I line my strainer with cheesecloth or a few paper towels, dump my quinoa in and rinse it for a few minutes, shaking and stirring it around.

Some quinoa comes already pre-rinsed. If it is, it will say so on the package. If in doubt, rinse it out.

A simple preparation of it is to cook it in vegetarian "chicken" (or vegetable) broth, then depending on what you eat and have, mix in some grated parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, then serve warm. Simple and tasty.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:13 PM

Thanks Heather! If my husband still can't find it tomorrow in the store then I'll just order it online at Amazon. (Your broth recipe sounds good too!!!)

Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Status: "Chin up things can only get better" (set 23 days ago)

9,653 posts, read 12,911,541 times
Trader Joe's carries quinoa if you have one in your area. For recipes, check out Peruvian cuisine websites - there was already a thread in the recipes forum for quinoa if I remember correctly. I love the stuff and I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised at the deliciousness of this itsy-bitsy grain.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM

171 posts, read 550,982 times
I buy it at the A&P, it's next to the rice.
I use it in vegetable soups as a grain. It's very filling but light in taste.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 AM

28 posts, read 227,953 times
I buy quinoa from Whole Foods - they have Bob's Red Mill brand as well as the bulk bin where you may scoop your own.
I like quinoa for breakfast. Fix it like old-fashioned, slow cooked rolled oats, add a little ground allspice, some ground ginger and cinnamon, a few raisins, and a splash of milk (I use soy). Yum!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,634,968 times
I love quinoa! Look in the natural food section of a larger grocery store, or find a co-op/natural food store. Otherwise, I would look online for some cheaper deals. Bob's Red Mill has good quality foods, I always find them much more expensive than other options. However, they package their grains in a size that is great for trying out a new product (I just bought their Teff flour to try).

I have a recipe for a very good cheese and broccoli quinoa bake (like mac-n-cheese, but with quinoa). I also use it in a mediterrian sauce. I saute some chopped onions, add in a little minced garlic, then dump in a can (or two) of chopped tomatoes. I simmer this for awhile, adding in capers, kalamata olives (pitted and halved), and usually some finely chopped spinach. At the end of cooking, I stir in a little feta to melt it. I serve the sauce of the quinoa and top with some more feta. Yum!

You can also simply open a can of sphegetti sauce and pour it over the quinoa.

I have never rinsed my quinoa...maybe that is bad, but I haven't had any problems.

Oh, it also works great in cold salads.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 AM

I finally found Quinoa. While it was cooking I added broccoli and carrots. Then I topped it off with soy sauce. It was delicious.

My question is what kind of strainer do you use to rinse it? I only have the large slit ones for pasta. I made a mess trying to rinse these little things.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,298,310 times
I rinse without using a strainer. I put the quinoa in a pot, add water, swish it around and then pour off as much of the water as I can. Then I'd repeat the process a few times, finally ending with however much water I was gonna cook it in. Seems to have worked for me. Otherwise, those tiny little seeds get everywhere!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,260,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I rinse without using a strainer. I put the quinoa in a pot, add water, swish it around and then pour off as much of the water as I can. Then I'd repeat the process a few times, finally ending with however much water I was gonna cook it in. Seems to have worked for me. Otherwise, those tiny little seeds get everywhere!
We do the same thing.

Quinoa is a wonderful complete food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food