Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

i would rather see people raise their own live stock becuase that way they get some respect for what they are and not looking at them as a peice of meat. i just HATE sluaghter houses and those places that raise the animals to live in a tiny crowded little pen and never get to experience a real farm life. i just picture yellow little chicks going down a metal slide waiting to get their heads chopped off. there is a better solution for treating live stock. HUMANITY FOR ANIMALS DONT MURDER BEFORE THE ACTUAL SLAUGHTER BEGINS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I have some info. I listend to a guy from AZ that raises chix. His family, or "factory farms" as many call them, has "free range" and caged chix. He said they have a much higher death rate w/free range due to preditors, crushed bones, suffication, than caged.

Also on the program was the difference between crate and open pigs. Two litters/yr(each) one has 12 and one has 20 per yr. Yep, the open pigs killed 8 babies per yr. How humain is that?

I'm look'n for more info on the radio show and will let you know when I find it.

I'm not say'n go eat meat. NOT AT ALL!!! I'm just clear'n the smoke/mirrors so people understand.

Eat veggies all you want, I'm not promote'n meat.......I'm just tired of the meat industry bashing that goes on here....ie farmers.

Another point, "Factory Farms". Someone tell me how many are family owned and that hire families, please.

As always, post'n w/a smile and willing to learn.

OK, I'm ready for the bash'n.
take care and to each their own.
capt.
Alright...my husband and I are both 3rd generation holocaust survivors who lost a good portion of one side of our family, respectively, in the camps.

I am sure some of our family members may have died anyway of being hit by a car or mugged at gun point - but no - they died in the camps.

So it is okay to keep an animal caged for years in its own feces with no room to live because it may be killed by a coyote?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM

PETA does not give vegetarians a bad rap - regular people do.

When people go out to eat with me and realize it is easy to be happy and fashionable while not eating meat or not wearing leather - I am proving a point.

Peta does not add to take away from my stance, they just get some much needed attention.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Alright...my husband and I are both 3rd generation holocaust survivors who lost a good portion of one side of our family, respectively, in the camps.

I am sure some of our family members may have died anyway of being hit by a car or mugged at gun point - but no - they died in the camps.

So it is okay to keep an animal caged for years in its own feces with no room to live because it may be killed by a coyote?
Are you say'n that your ancestors are no different than animals?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM

What I've read on the PETA web site is that domesticated animals need "different" treatment(pets vs wild animals).

It all boils down to what you think is the right thing to do. PETA is not all bad, the same as all groups of people w/the same beliefs. It is those who go to extremes that make a bad name for the "group". Very similar to vegans, vegetarians, people who eat meat, blacks, whites, christians, etc.

People see one bad "apple" in a group and assume the entire group is the same. Most of the time the group is not all bad, we need to judge the individual, not the group. I'm just as guilty as many others, but I'm learning..........slowly.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
What I've read on the PETA web site is that domesticated animals need "different" treatment(pets vs wild animals).

It all boils down to what you think is the right thing to do. PETA is not all bad, the same as all groups of people w/the same beliefs. It is those who go to extremes that make a bad name for the "group". Very similar to vegans, vegetarians, people who eat meat, blacks, whites, christians, etc.

People see one bad "apple" in a group and assume the entire group is the same. Most of the time the group is not all bad, we need to judge the individual, not the group. I'm just as guilty as many others, but I'm learning..........slowly.
judge the individual....

The argument that a group of individuals is ‘all alike’ has been used throughout human history as a justification for the oppression of that group. If all the individuals are alike, then they become impersonal and killing them seems less wrong or horrendous. Chickens, pigs, cows, whether intelligent or stupid, individual or identical, are sentient beings. They feel pain and experience fear. This, in itself, is enough to make it wrong to cause them pain and suffering.â€

Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Are you say'n that your ancestors are no different than animals?

Hardly ancestors, some are still alive.

Yes, we are all animals, as are you. We strive for the same basic things - food, companionship, shelter, safety...

Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Hardly ancestors, some are still alive.

Yes, we are all animals, as are you. We strive for the same basic things - food, companionship, shelter, safety...
Well, I put humans above animals. I guess that is the difference between us, well........one difference anyway.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Quote:
Well, I put humans above animals. I guess that is the difference between us...
Are you saying that vegans don't care about people? That's simply not true. It is a myth, along with many others, and used for the sole purpose of denigrating a belief system.

If you put humans above animals to rationalize killing them (the critters, not the humans), I think that is wrong. Nutritionally, we don't need their flesh. Nor do we need their skins to keep us warm, their stomach linings to soften our skin. In this day and age, we have positive and well-rpoven alternatives (as we have always had).

There is a movement in the medical field, to stop vivisection - exactly how much have we learned from this extraordinarily barbabic custom is debatable. Using fraxel lasers on live pigs to "study" how they can better be used in cosmetic surgery? No thanks.

I am not talking about research used to save the lives of human beings. I refer to people needing to satisfy a psychological need to kill to feel as though they are "providing", and for entertainment. Never underestimate the power of marketing.

So, no, vegans are not misanthropes, pasty-faced weaklings, who put animals above human beings. Although, sometimes, Capt, I feel that probably isn't such a bad idea...

Peace to you and your family (no, I'm not a pacifist, either). Happy Festivus ~

Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Are you saying that vegans don't care about people? That's simply not true. It is a myth, along with many others, and used for the sole purpose of denigrating a belief system.

If you put humans above animals to rationalize killing them (the critters, not the humans), I think that is wrong. Nutritionally, we don't need their flesh. Nor do we need their skins to keep us warm, their stomach linings to soften our skin. In this day and age, we have positive and well-rpoven alternatives (as we have always had).

There is a movement in the medical field, to stop vivisection - exactly how much have we learned from this extraordinarily barbabic custom is debatable. Using fraxel lasers on live pigs to "study" how they can better be used in cosmetic surgery? No thanks.

I am not talking about research used to save the lives of human beings. I refer to people needing to satisfy a psychological need to kill to feel as though they are "providing", and for entertainment. Never underestimate the power of marketing.

So, no, vegans are not misanthropes, pasty-faced weaklings, who put animals above human beings. Although, sometimes, Capt, I feel that probably isn't such a bad idea...

Peace to you and your family (no, I'm not a pacifist, either). Happy Festivus ~
Now don't go put'n words in my mouth...er... keyboard. No, I was talk'n to CR. It is a bit of a stretch, on my part, but so is most of the things said about f.farming. I do believe that PETA and most veg/vegans "rank" animals higher than I do, not too hard to figure that out though, eh?

Another "issue" is "domesticated animals" and the proper care of such. Something for another thread, I guess.

Have a happy Thanksgiving, talk to ya later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food