U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Vegetarian food: vegan, golf, 4 wheel drive, dune buggies, eating healthy.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 PM

19 posts, read 67,434 times

Advertisements

OK, I know the topic sounds strange, but here goes.

I have been vegetarian for 9- 10 years, and along with my interest in not eating our animal friends, or not wanting harm done to them, I have interests that seem to conflict with my veggie style. I love off roading. I have two 4 wheel drives, and 2 dune buggies. A good weekend is going out with a group of buggy friends and having fun in the desert. Responsibly! That is the most important thing, being responsible and not driving over plants or anything else. I know a lot of you think off roaders are neanderthals... irresponsible...meat eaters (ooh that's mean!) And a lot of off roaders are unfortunately. The group I hang out with is great though, but it drives me crazy to see young kids driving 4x4's like complete jerks.
I also belong to a group called Tread Lightly which promotes safe and responsible off roading.

Anyway, do you have interests that don't seem to flow with the typical veggie/ vegan lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,993,112 times
My mantra is: We can only do as much as we can. I don't mean it as a cop-out, but I don't want to beat myself up either when I do as much as I can.

Lets see... we are vegetarian for many reasons, but a main one is for environmental reasons. Yet my husband loves golf (and I married him anyhow). I thought, well at least he isn't playing golf in the desert--low and behold, we are now in the desert! But he is a member of a course that uses only reclaimed water for the course, which is a plus.

Myself, I love sweets! Talk about a waste of resources, but I love a yummy pastry or chocolate cake. I also wear leather. Not a lot--just a couple shoes--but I figure leather is at least better than that fake leather made of petroleum and produced who-knows-how.

We eat dairy and eggs, as well, and for a long time we didn't get them organic/free range because we couldn't afford it. Even now, the milk I buy for my husband and I is not organic (I buy organic for the kids).

Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,198,368 times
What would a vegetarian lifestyle be, other than not meat eating? Being a vegetarian means nothing more-you don't have to belong to any political party or like to do other things.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 AM

702 posts, read 2,062,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
What would a vegetarian lifestyle be, other than not meat eating? Being a vegetarian means nothing more-you don't have to belong to any political party or like to do other things.
Exactly, as I described in my thread about being vegan and hating PETA.

Vegetarianism has a blanket stereotype over it, as if all veges are dope smoking, crystal wearing hippies.

I've been vegan or vegetarian for most of my adult life, and have gone through several different "stages" or "styles" regarding my interests, hobbies, clothing, etc. But the one thing that stays constant is my strong belief in eating healthy, natural foods with minimal impact to my environment. Doesn't matter if I wear a business suit or a bullet belt.

Personally, I seem to be labeled as a Democrat simply because of the foods I eat and that I ride a bike instead of drive. Funny, because last time I check I was a nihilist.

I also started wearing leather shoes, only because the vegan shoes simply don't last. To me, wearing a pair of sturdy leather boots that will last for a few years makes much more sense than tossing out yet another pair of frayed and holey hemp slippers.

I suppose the biggest paradox about me, the carrot loving vegan, is that I own guns and go shooting. I've heard all the jokes about putting a gun rack in the back of the VW bus, and have even coined a few myself.

Do I hunt animals? Of course not - I have enough non-animal food resources available to stay healthy. But in a different situation, if I lived a rural life, I probably would.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM

276 posts, read 624,793 times
have a good question to ask to all vegetarians. basically we have different types of vegetarians. not to waste time i will talk about the lacto vegetarians that is the general vegetarian that does not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eats eggs and milk. They eat eggs and products made with eggs in them, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream.

alright most of the time a veggie becomes one other than health reasons they are driven by thoughts that invoke a certain connection with animals debating on life, and the cortex of pain in each individual at death or living thing, which leads them to guilt of their conscience. in most cases it doesn't really matter about the intake of animal products such as eggs cheese or milk from other animals.

what makes me wonder is that most vegetarians do not see what i see. imagine a roundish reproductive body produced by the female of certain animals, as birds and most reptiles, consisting of an ovum and its envelope of albumen, jelly, membranes, egg case, or shell, according to species. That sounds like an external foetus which internally exists in all mammals. so basically it is an animals reproductive belonging and when cracked the dead sperm in an egg consists of animal cholesterol.
well hold on a minute animal cholesterol? so basically we still absorbing something from dead animals. since an egg is a cell and meat itself is a group of solidify cells which means both vegetarians and meateaters have a significance amount of animal cholesterol in their blood by all means even vegetarians might have less. my point is if you have sympathy over dead meat or animals why eat the eggs/embryo. what is the difference to kill an unborn child and a living being it would still be classified as murder right.

Milk- is there for our pleasure of having it around and it plays an important raw in our daily food. what's an hoax is telling people milk is a good so of our daily calcium intake like the is no other sources and cheese. well the industry would be happy about bringing more customers by giving them a positive answer for the sake of producing it. here are my negative least about milk:-

• Whole milk, or anything made of whole milk, is high in saturated fat, which can increase cholesterol level.
  • Milk is a common cause of food allergy (allergy to milk protein).
  • Many people, especially adults, lack the enzyme to digest lactose (milk sugar). This is called lactose intolerance, which causes bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
  • Milk (and meat for that matter) may contain the antibiotics given to the animal before slaughter. It has been argued that when humans then eat the dairy or meat products, they absorb the antibiotics, potentially allowing for bacteria harmful to humans to become more resistant to these antibiotics. The consequence is that when antibiotics are prescribed, they may not be as effective at killing the bacteria as they once were.
  • on top of that we are the only subspecies that drink milk from other animals. let no man cheat you about the positive facts about milk there is always a price to pay
my point is all animal products are here for our taste buds and they all come with a price to pay animal cholesterol, cheese, milk and eggs is more equivalent to living on a meat included diet. wel that's my opinion. food is a delicacy don't get me wrong am only debating in likeness of the subject.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,419,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
have a good question to ask to all vegetarians. basically we have different types of vegetarians. not to waste time i will talk about the lacto vegetarians that is the general vegetarian that does not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eats eggs and milk. They eat eggs and products made with eggs in them, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream.

alright most of the time a veggie becomes one other than health reasons they are driven by thoughts that invoke a certain connection with animals debating on life, and the cortex of pain in each individual at death or living thing, which leads them to guilt of their conscience. in most cases it doesn't really matter about the intake of animal products such as eggs cheese or milk from other animals.

what makes me wonder is that most vegetarians do not see what i see. imagine a roundish reproductive body produced by the female of certain animals, as birds and most reptiles, consisting of an ovum and its envelope of albumen, jelly, membranes, egg case, or shell, according to species. That sounds like an external foetus which internally exists in all mammals. so basically it is an animals reproductive belonging and when cracked the dead sperm in an egg consists of animal cholesterol.
well hold on a minute animal cholesterol? so basically we still absorbing something from dead animals. since an egg is a cell and meat itself is a group of solidify cells which means both vegetarians and meateaters have a significance amount of animal cholesterol in their blood by all means even vegetarians might have less. my point is if you have sympathy over dead meat or animals why eat the eggs/embryo. what is the difference to kill an unborn child and a living being it would still be classified as murder right.

Milk- is there for our pleasure of having it around and it plays an important raw in our daily food. what's an hoax is telling people milk is a good so of our daily calcium intake like the is no other sources and cheese. well the industry would be happy about bringing more customers by giving them a positive answer for the sake of producing it. here are my negative least about milk:-

• Whole milk, or anything made of whole milk, is high in saturated fat, which can increase cholesterol level.
  • Milk is a common cause of food allergy (allergy to milk protein).
  • Many people, especially adults, lack the enzyme to digest lactose (milk sugar). This is called lactose intolerance, which causes bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
  • Milk (and meat for that matter) may contain the antibiotics given to the animal before slaughter. It has been argued that when humans then eat the dairy or meat products, they absorb the antibiotics, potentially allowing for bacteria harmful to humans to become more resistant to these antibiotics. The consequence is that when antibiotics are prescribed, they may not be as effective at killing the bacteria as they once were.
  • on top of that we are the only subspecies that drink milk from other animals. let no man cheat you about the positive facts about milk there is always a price to pay
my point is all animal products are here for our taste buds and they all come with a price to pay animal cholesterol, cheese, milk and eggs is more equivalent to living on a meat included diet. wel that's my opinion. food is a delicacy don't get me wrong am only debating in likeness of the subject.

If this is meant to support veganism, you've done a very good job - with a few exceptions:

Milk is not here for our pleasure, it is intended to feed young calves, goats, etc.

All animal products are not here "for our taste buds." Did you mean something else?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:53 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,116,968 times
If I may, not all eggs are fertilized. Not all cows give birth to live calves. Not all cows tend to their young. And that is not necciserly true for all milk/eggs consumed.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:10 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,046,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
...and when cracked the dead sperm in an egg consists of animal cholesterol...
Heh. Commonly, eggs for sale are not fertilized, thus...no sperm and certainly no "dead" sperm. And isn't sperm pretty much just pure protein anyway? I'd have to look it up, but seeing that I'm at work I'm not sure I want to Google anything with "sperm" in it.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:20 PM

276 posts, read 624,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
If this is meant to support veganism, you've done a very good job - with a few exceptions:

Milk is not here for our pleasure, it is intended to feed young calves, goats, etc.

All animal products are not here "for our taste buds." Did you mean something else?
yea i am with you, i was supporting veganism

Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,062,761 times
The "It Does A Body Good" and white-mustache campaigns are nothing more than marketing gimmicks that produce huge profits at the expense of animals. There is absolutely no reason for an adult mammal to continue consuming mother's milk after the formative years. We are now seeing the result of it with obesity, heart disease, and debateably autism. Only time will tell.

As a teen and adult consuming dairy products, I had major issues with acne and extremely painful monthly cycles. Now dairy-free for over 6 years - wow, what a difference. Calcium is plentiful in a number of vegetables and some legumes/nuts. The "recommended daily allowance" is a crock of poop, as every country in the world has invented their own food pyramid based on what is most profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food