U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM

232 posts, read 762,831 times

Advertisements

I am not a vegetarian, but my small son is what I would call Veggie Light.

He has never really eaten meat since infancy, he would spit it out or get sick. Though I was concerned about his health, his pediatrician said as long as I gave him a good balanced diet, he would be fine.

Thank God for asian food

I enjoy sushi and the owner at the shop I frequent got my son started on lightly steamed soybeans when he was about two. Then came tofu and seaweed........a lovely progression.

To this day, my son prefers noodles, veggies (he is quite happy with a large bowl of brussel sprouts for dinner) and grains. He will occasionally eat an odd meat like eel or a SMALL bit of chicken. No fruit or red meat though, it is a waste so unless he asks for a bite of something off my plate I don't try.

My question is: With the price of veggies and other healthy foods going so skyhigh, how are you doing it?
I can barely afford the cheap foods that are out there, buying my son fresh veggies (the grains aren't as bad) let alone soy etc is becoming VERY difficult. I have given up many things to try to keep my son in his dietary comfort zone.

I live in So. Cal so the price of everything here is ridiculous. How are you all doing it?

Last edited by Vesper; 09-26-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

1,815 posts, read 4,820,735 times
On Long Island, prices are also outrageous, as I'm sure they are everywhere. I have a tight budget, and have had to cut back on the amount of fresh veggies I get and increased my grains and beans, since they are still cheaper to keep myself full. I prowl farmer's markets when I get a chance and buy a lot of the seconds, things that are just at or slightly past fully ripe. Then off course, I have to cook them that the same evening, so it doesn't give me much planning time! Sorry I can't offer more advise than that. Eating healthy is much more expensive than eating poorly in the short run, but over a lifetime, I'm betting that it's going to be a good investment for me.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,977,364 times
Well, if you don't eat organic, right now is an excellent time to buy, buy, buy! Either at the farmers' market, farm stand, or grocery store. If you have the time, you can buy produce when it is cheap and freeze it. For the most part, all you have to do is clean, trim, and parboil the veggies. Drain and dry and stuff into freezer bags.

I always have frozen corn and peas on hand, so if I see a good sale on those items, I buy a few bags. I also always have carrots on hand, and find that these aren't too expensive.

Buy dried beans and cook a whole bag over the weekend, then freeze in one cup increments.

You have probably already checked out an Asian market, but if you haven't, do. My local Asian market has tofu for a lot less then the grocery stores.

Edit re. organic comment: Of course, it is a good time to buy any kind of produce, but I meant savingswise...

Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys,

I am definately shopping all the little markets trying to find deals on veggies, but I didn't think of cooking and freezing them to keep 'em longer. I am sure that will help some as I can buy a little extra on the sale items to put away for later.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,515,982 times
I'm curious which stores you go to? There is a great small farmer's market store in Ontario, if you happen to be in that area. Otherwise 99 Ranch Market and similar stores are pretty good. I tend to get Costco stuff myself.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 PM

f_m

I am currently staying with friends in Norwalk, a bit away from Ontario. On my trips around town I visit Northgate as well as the local big chain stores. There are very few mom and pop type places around here, but I have frequent the ones I find as I run errands on the weekends. There is a Savers that isn't tooo far away....but really no small local markets that might have good deals.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,515,982 times
There is a 99 Ranch Market on Pioneer just south of the 91. Search by zip code.

99 Ranch Market :: Store Locator (http://www.99ranch.com/StoreLocator.asp - broken link)

I don't know how the prices compare, but generally they are less than Ralphs/Vons. I used to get tofu for $0.68 at the one I was living near. Generally they are less than $1 a box though.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks f_m

I appreciate the tip.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,887,255 times
I found this great little handheld gadget at Walmart in the section near the paper plates and such. It cost under ten dollars and sucks the air out of special freezer bags (need to redo after each opening) so that bulk food items placed in the freezer don't get freezer burn. Much cheaper than those big expensive machines.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:07 PM

f_m,

I checked out Ranch Market today. A bit of a drive but.... OMG it is fantastic!

Thank you and Sgoldie I will definately go search my Walmart to see if I can find one of those little thingys. Are the bags costly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food