U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:44 AM

43 posts, read 153,991 times

Advertisements

I just started weightlifting and was wondering what are some veggie foods or products with lots of protein?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,977,364 times
Quinoa is excellent, as well as soybeans--whether plain (edamane, but I'm not spelling it right) or tofu. Be careful with tofu, though. If you have never had it, or even had much of it, you don't want to eat it plain or even simply prepared. I think most people are turned off from tofu from it not being prepared too well. Nut butters are great too, peanut butter is a staple in our house, but cashew and almond butter are very yummy.

And of course, there is the protein powder. But use it wisely by making a really yummy smoothy to put it in. I have a recipe for one that uses strawberries, avocados, a little cocoa, flax seeds...I'm not sure what else.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,040,558 times
Ever tried tempeh?

Tempeh

It's a really dense soya bean product, where the beans are fermented then packed together into a block. Then sliced thin, into chunks or crumbled. Like Quorn in a way but much less processed.

It's more dense in texture than tofu and more tasty. It cooks well with other flavours too - I really love the Indonesian paste 'bambu' stir-fried with tempeh...

Gado gado is good too...lots of protein, tempeh, egg and peanuts!

Gado Gado Recipe (Indonesian vegetable salad with peanut sauce) | Indonesia | Whats4Eats

Old 09-27-2008, 10:28 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,197 times
Broccoli and Beans - food of champions.

For some better advice, recommend checking out this book:

Amazon.com: Vegetarian Sports Nutrition: D. Enette Larson-Meyer: Books

The author gives very sound advice on vegetarian diets for different sports. The chapter on building muscle without meat mat be of interest to you.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Nut butters are great too, peanut butter is a staple in our house, but cashew and almond butter are very yummy.
Don't forget tahini (sesame paste), which is about 25% protein. It works as a bread topper, and also in recipes such as hummus (yum).

Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,515,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeOneO View Post
I just started weightlifting and was wondering what are some veggie foods or products with lots of protein?
Mainly beans (includes tofu/soybeans), nuts, quinoa, cheese/eggs (for lacto-ovo vegetarians).

Here's a short article on what some bodybuilders eat:
Vegetarian Diet

Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,142,053 times
I use a lot of TVP (textured vegetable protein) which I get from a Seventh Day Adventist book and health food store. A dry product, it comes in chunks, nuggets and granules, flavored and not. Bacon bits are smoke flavored granular form for example. The nuggets look like dog kibble. Comes in "brown" which I believe is flavored with yeast, and "white" which is unflavored. I use the brown nuggets for stews and chili, and the brown granules for tacos, sloppy joes and stuffed green peppers. I use the white for "chicken" and "pork" type dishes, like Chinese, "chicken" ala king, etc.

TVP is inexpensive, very high in protein, and keeps without refrigeration. I make chili with it for office parties and church pot lucks, and the only complaint I get is that my old crock pot is too small

Here are some links about it. I like the bulk product I get from the nearby SDA store at about $2/pound. I have a one pound package here. It is 10"X4"X3". One cup dry = one pound "meat". But you might find some at a food coop, for example. The last link here has very high prices.

Textured vegetable protein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What The Heck Is Textured Vegetable Protein? (TVP)

TVP (Meat Substitute)

Last edited by quiet walker; 09-27-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 04:19 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,969 times
Ditto on all the above. Good resources, and it's very easy to get enough protein for weightlifting. If you're not too sure if you're getting enough - or are being told you're not - check this site. It (at least when I last checked it) had a full complement of info on how to ensure your diet (veg, vegan...or not) was healthful and appropriate.

Mayo Clinic>health>vegetarian diet. They have an easy-glance menu of foods with high protein, vitamins - all necessary nutrients.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-29-2008 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: site won't convert

Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM

253 posts, read 1,503,044 times
seitan ... the meat from wheat is chock full of protien.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,963,974 times
I too am a vegetarian and weight lifter.

I drink lots of whey protein shakes, 2 a day, before and after workouts. Also, tofu, Texturized Veggie Protein (you can make veggie meatloaf, veggie meatballs, and its high in protein and low in calories), Veggie Burgers, soy beans, soy milk, soy burgers, soy nuts, nuts in general, beans in general, cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs, cheese, quinoa, flax....all these are healthy high protein foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food