U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:41 PM

65 posts, read 169,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
The last meat I missed was Arby's Roast Beef sandwhich, strange enough. I use to miss McDonald's cheeseburger...I think it was the warm ketchup/mustard/pickle combo, because now I get my fix at BK with the veggie burger "my way."
How weird. My craving for the first year of veggieness was McD's little original cheeseburger, it drove me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,689,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
How weird. My craving for the first year of veggieness was McD's little original cheeseburger, it drove me nuts.
when i first went vegetarian i really wanted a whopper - then i got a veggie whopper (this was before they had actual veggie burgers, it was just the vegetables and sauce on a bun) and it totally satisfied the craving.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,105,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
when i first went vegetarian i really wanted a whopper - then i got a veggie whopper (this was before they had actual veggie burgers, it was just the vegetables and sauce on a bun) and it totally satisfied the craving.
Same here. Only in my case I still miss the original whopper

Old 10-06-2009, 03:30 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,414,239 times
As a vegetarian - nothing. As a vegan - cheese!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,259,887 times
What Xpat said...I used to miss cheese but since I've been eating a mostly raw vegan diet these past several months, there is nothing I miss! I can't think of anything I crave...shoot, I even found a vegan spray-whipped cream!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM

4,753 posts, read 12,308,476 times
I'm not 100% vegetarian, but mostly. Has anyone else like me noticed that if you occasionally give in to a craving because you missed a particular food, you get physically sick from eating something that your body isn't accustomed to eating any longer?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,146,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
... Has anyone else like me noticed that if you occasionally give in to a craving because you missed a particular food, you get physically sick from eating something that your body isn't accustomed to eating any longer?
About five years into a vegetarian diet I ate some turkey at Thanksgiving to please my dear aunt. But by the next day I was feeling really rotten. Not like in pain but just really feeling bad. I felt terrible for about three days, it was like my whole metabolism had shut down. At my next physical, I told the Doc about this and she said that yes, the incident was natural and to be expected. For the reason that Topaz stated.

If I eat meat unknowingly now, like in a pizza sauce, or once in an omelet, I get a small but intense indigestion like feeling. Small but sharp. Doesn't last too long though.

I remember when finally committing to a full vegetarian diet (I had drifted into it for a couple of years) I was worried about what I was going to eat, but found that just like the body changes regarding meat, that vegetables became more and more appealing and tasty. Once again, the body adapts. Never at a loss, I love all kinds of fruits, vegetables and grains

Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,689,032 times
if i accidentally eat something with dairy or eggs in it, i definitely get a bit sick. especially uncultured milk and eggs. cheese and yogurt aren't as bad.

i haven't eaten anything with meat (besides some potato chips fried in lard and a few things with meat broth, all accidental, which didn't make me sick) since i cheated and ate a piece of bacon maybe a year or less into going vegetarian.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

I still order the veggie whopper, even though BK has an actual veggie burger now. The lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and sauce on a fresh bun make a really good sandwich.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I'm not 100% vegetarian, but mostly. Has anyone else like me noticed that if you occasionally give in to a craving because you missed a particular food, you get physically sick from eating something that your body isn't accustomed to eating any longer?
Several years ago I ate a little cod at a restaurant for the benefit of the friend I had traveled to another state to visit. It was that restaurant's specialty, and I thought eating cod just once wouldn't hurt. Several hours later on my long drive home I had to stop several times because I was vomiting, breaking out in a cold sweat and totally miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food