U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 AM

5,340 posts, read 8,009,338 times

Advertisements

I dated a guy for awhile who always referred to himself as a "semi-vegetarian" because he ate a garden salad for lunch and red meat for dinner, every day. One day he brought a Newsweek article to show me that was about the different types of vegetarians, and "semi-vegetarian" was one type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,950,889 times
As silly as it sounds...marshmellows. I loved smores!

With that being said, I'm a pescatarian. I really didn't have a hard time giving up chicken (the last meat to be given up)...I guess it just gets easier as you go along. Maybe soon I will drop the seafood.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 PM

127 posts, read 316,174 times
There are a two different kinds of vegan marshmallows. Sweet and Sara which are gourmet and come in a few different flavors, and Dandies which are closer to standard marshmallows.

I don't really miss anything because nearly everything has a vegan alternative, except angel food cake. No one has been able to figure out how to replace that many egg whites yet.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times
Exclamation Marshmallow Alert!!!!

I've tried vegan marshmallow-type stuff, that you dish out with a spoon. Horrifyingly sweet.

I haven't tried these. They're available via mail if you don't have any other way to get them.

Dandies Marshmallows

Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,950,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I've tried vegan marshmallow-type stuff, that you dish out with a spoon. Horrifyingly sweet.

I haven't tried these. They're available via mail if you don't have any other way to get them.

Dandies Marshmallows
I need to check to see if Whole Foods carries this. I tried to rep you Wisked Felina, but I need to spread the love around (lol).

Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,679,641 times
dandies are really good; they are indistinguishable from standard marshmallows. but they're hard to find in my area. even online, they sell out a lot.

i heard you can toast them like real marshmallows, which is my main marshmallow consumption route, but i ate the whole bag i got before i had a chance to bring them camping.

wicked felina, are you talking about ricemellow creme? i agree with you, that stuff is way too sweet.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,720,691 times
Funny you should mention marshmallows....I'm not a fan (too sweet), but we were at a weenie-roast this weekend and we started talking s'mores.

I also discoverd a meat item I most certainly do not miss: hot dogs. Never liked them. Even as a kid. Our hosts were kind enough to provide soy-dogs at this get-together. In the spirit of the evening, I tried one, but the only thing that made it tolerable was the heaping mound of (very good!) vegan chili I slathered on the bun.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
wicked felina, are you talking about ricemellow creme? i agree with you, that stuff is way too sweet.
Yes, that's it, groar. I couldn't remember the name. I'm just not interested enough in Dandie's marshmallows to pay that price. We'd be rich if we could figure out how to make them at home. For my sweet tooth, I've had a handerin' for old-fashioned spice drops lately.....

Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
We'd be rich if we could figure out how to make them at home.
I'll take my 10% finder's fee in small, unmarked, bills please .....

Vegan marshmallow recipe

Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM

127 posts, read 316,174 times
Make your own at home, you say?

Vegan Marshmallow Kit By Angel Food: Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe (http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AFMK - broken link)

I've heard nothing but good things about this kit, I actually have one but I haven't gotten around to making them yet.

Dandies do toast, and so do Sweet and Sara, they're just bigger and square and a little less sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food