Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM

184 posts, read 673,741 times

Advertisements

I shop at Greenlife. It is similar to whole foods but with more of a local homegrown feel.
Greenlife Grocery
I go to the Chattanooga Market every sunday for organic & local produce, spices, bread, etc. Its a weekly ritual that I enjoy.
The Chattanooga Market
Of course I love getting food out of my front & backyard. I would join a csa if I didn't just love to garden & the growing season is so long & sunny here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,448,999 times
I go to Trader Joe's - 60% of the time, and the regular grocery store, farmer's market, Lassen's, and an Indian food Specialty shop. I rarely go to Whole Foods as I think most of their products are fun but overpriced.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,398,703 times
I try to get my favorite items at WF on Sale.... their prices are lower than most of our regular super markets (at least in this area, probably because their considered "exotic" and "unusual" )
Trader Joe's has great prices on Olive oil, bulk food, granola etc. I was in MD a week ago and the same bag of avocado's that cost 4.99 here was only 3.99 there, I also noticed other foods that were cheaper there.... grrrr.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,155 times
I've only been in a Trader Joes once, but I thought it looked expensive. I guess I'm wrong? Anywhere I can get olive oil cheaper is a friend of mine.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,712,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I've only been in a Trader Joes once, but I thought it looked expensive. I guess I'm wrong? Anywhere I can get olive oil cheaper is a friend of mine.
Yes. Trader Joe's is very affordable if you know what to shop for. Their pastas are like, 99 cents a bag! And its a good, decent bag of good pasta too! Just make sure you don't get anything crazy exotic/gourmet and you'll be getting much more bang for your buck.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM

947 posts, read 3,398,394 times
Trader Joes!!!

But I also shop at Whole Foods though there is only one close enough to me... and still 30mins away.

Lately, because of... Gas and expenses in general I have been shopping at my local Safeway or Fry's in the Natural section and another local health market.

I am trying to buy more bulk foods, to save money and cook at home along with frozen veggies and fruits for smoothies...

Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,888,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Yes. Trader Joe's is very affordable if you know what to shop for. Their pastas are like, 99 cents a bag! And its a good, decent bag of good pasta too! Just make sure you don't get anything crazy exotic/gourmet and you'll be getting much more bang for your buck.
The one time I was there, I think I was looking more for what I couldn't get at my current grocery store and therefore, at the more exotic/gourmet items. Next time I'm in Tucson, I will have to take a closer look. Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,830,513 times
I live in Western NY... No Trader Joes or Whole Foods here.... We have Wegmans, Aldi's, TOPS, and Wal Mart.... I tend to stick to Wegmans lately because I have heard Aldi's buys a lot of the stuff they MAKE their products with from CHINA and my aunt and uncle live in Hong Kong and even THEY don't like to buy stuff from China....it really scares them what they do to their own citizens....they tells us NOT to buy anything from China that we would put in our mouth our would be absorbed into our bodies.... So I don't.... So I try not to do too much at Aldi's.... That leaves me with Wegmans. but I do all my produce at the Farmers Market which saves me tons of cash each week.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,871 times
We shop at a large store in Northwest Indiana named Healthy Horizons, Inc. They provide the largest selection in this area, and they actually have a myspace. www.myspace.com/healthy_horizons_inc

Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM

23,869 posts, read 32,134,743 times
Whole Foods is a lot of good things but cheap is not among them.
I shop there none the less and also at Trader Joe's and a fairly local chain called Wild by Nature.
I also like to get out of my veggie bubble and shop at "normal" markets - if nothing else than to reward them for stocking veggie burgers, tofurkey soy slices and quinoa and tempeh.

I WANT these foods to become mainstream so I try to support mainstream merchants who make them available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food