Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times

Advertisements

Hi all
Just wondering where we all buy our food...
I buy the bulk of our food at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and the local small health food store. TJ and WH are about an hours drive from us, so when I do go, I stock up! I also buy local produce when possible and purchased a share in CSA this summer... unfortunately that is over now. I'll do it again next year.
There are some shops on line where you can get the harder to find vegan items... for example, google Cosmo's vegan shoppe, looks like a great place.

I very rarely buy at the local supermarket, except staples like soy milk or soy creamer etc. if I run out before my next trip to the health food store. I also found their prices much higher than WF for organic foods and soy milk.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
I live in a city where anything you're looking for is readily available.

I go to Trader Joe's for 95% of items I buy - they now have seven stores in the Portland metro area! There's a food co-op near downtown where I buy fresh, locally grown vegetables and fruits. They also have a good selection of bulk spices.

Whole Foods is a great place to buy skincare and makeup.

New Season's has those convenient frozen dinners and Amy's soups.

Market of Choice has wonderful olive oils, tempeh, and carries several brands of vegan protein powder mixes. More of a usual stop for me than WH, which is pretty far away.

I eat honey, and there's a local farmer who keeps wild hives way up by Detroit Lake (maybe 60 miles from here). My favorite is the springtime honey made from the Fireweed, weed!

Like I said, I'm fortunate to live where the scenery is not only gorgeous, but where there are so many different food options for people. I know that that makes life a lot easier...

Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
Oh SeeBee, I am jealous! We used to live in another state and had a co-op gorcery store within walking distance of our house. I miss it!!!! We have two Trader Joe's about an hour from our house, each in a different direction. Hopefully we will get one closer before too long. I don't care for their produce, in general, although sometimes they have stuff that looks good and is fairly local.

I wish I could grow my own veggies, but we don't have enough sunlight and I would hate to cut trees down...

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-17-2008, 09:52 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,568 times
I shop at Capers(whole foods), a local organic store called choices, and safeway.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,680 times
oooh I love Trader Joe's too. I also like Wild Oats and Meijers.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,380 times
I also live in Portland and shop at Trader Joes, Barbur World Foods, Market of Choice, Uwajimaya, and occasionally Fred Meyer's organic section.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
I really miss Trader Joe's!

I spend way too much money at Whole Foods Market, but I do feel good about supporting them as their store here is new and I want the store to succeed.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,971 times
We don't have Trader Joes or Whole Foods unfortunately, but I do shop at the local health food store for most things. I do still buy some produce at the regular grocery store.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Is Whole Foods cheaper than your local grocery store and/or coop? There is one in Tucson, about an hour away. I never thought about shopping there, because I have driven over an hour to get to grocery stores the size which we have in our new town. But I have come to the horrible conclusion that I have been spending waaay too much on food and need to cut back. This means buying even less organic. Any input would be helpful.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Is Whole Foods cheaper than your local grocery store and/or coop?
That would be a big, "No." They are trying to change their "Whole Paycheck" image by reducing some prices and having classes on how to grocery shop on a budget, but I never get out of there for less than $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food