U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Animal Rights or Diet
Animal Rights 13 35.14%
Diet 24 64.86%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,557,412 times

Advertisements

I am 50 years old. I have not even so much as tasted a piece of meat in my entire life. At a very early age just the sight of meat turned my stomach.

I do eat fish and crustaceans. I have been known to add real bacon bits to my salad. Go figure......

So I dont eat meat due to diet or animal rights. It more has to do with how disgusting meat is.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM

186,938 posts, read 76,735,311 times
Food choice is a great thing for all of us. I had a former colleague who would look at ground beef and gag. On the other had she ate sardines that stunk to high heavens like they were chocolate. Never did figure that one out... And the tofu she ate.... No not me. Tried it but I gagged on that.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM

947 posts, read 2,992,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We, eating plants, which take far far less resources to grow and be ready for our consumption.

Which, as I said, would put us in direct competition with the grazing and vegetarian animals for the land needed to produce food for ALL of us, which means, contrary to your statement above, that there would be fewer of them, not more. And, of course, if we're going to do this right, we should agree to be prey for the carnivores to keep things relatively in balance - though this scheme does mess with the balance simply by making us pretend to be vegetarians rather than the omnivores we're designed to be, but when has that ever stopped us? We ALWAYS know better than nature or whatever deity we purport to worship.)
Well, if you think that is the case then why would we then, by Eating animals, the vegetarian animals, not at all reduce the Predators' numbers? Because, we are in fact eating Their Direct foods, their Prey. We also would, typically anyway, if eating their prey animals, eat veggies too, the preys' veggies...??? So being an omnivore would then be reducing the Predators population because we are eating both their Direct Prey and Indirectly, the prey's food items, ie. veggies.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,194,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post

I'm not a "well traveled" guy, but most "corp" farms/ranchers/feedlots do not harm the Earth like what is portrayed on you tube or the 10:00 news. The so called "corp" farms/feedlots in our area do more for the "earth" than most of the small farm/feedlot guys. Most "big" farms and feedlots are owned by families, w/family values. People are our customer, I am a "people", why would I harm myself/family/kids?

This is simply not true.

People in these communities suffer from asthma at a higher rate than if the feedlots were not in existance.

These feedlots have "lagoons" that hold huge and unnatural amounts of animal waste. This wasts also includes the antibiotics that the animals are fed so they do not get "sick" from eating cheap foods and being kept in dirty conditions.

Tadpoles in these lagoons have been shown to develop mixed sexual organs.

Imagine as these lagoons travel to lakes and rivers.

That is just one way that we are polluting our water.

In factory farming - nothing is clean or natural. Not the food fed to the animals, not the waste, not the lagoons etc.

And to note a point of another poster, animals may eat animals - but they only hunt when hungry and not for fun. They do not farm animals and they do not slaughter. They conduct a quick hunt and the predator has it in their interest to kill the prey asap so that it is not a threat. Therefore, in nature, you will see many snapped necks etc.

In human nature - these days - animals are caged, taken from their mother too early, fed anitibiotics and then carted cross country on higways in 18wheelers just to be shot in the head, hung upside down, throat slit and left to bleed out. That is far from natural.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM

20,388 posts, read 37,697,685 times
cr1029, you know this how?

If I recall correctly (and from the post you quoted), Capt. Cave Man actually knows what he speaks of from personal experience. I've heard all about the horrible lives that the cattle that go into McDonald's food live, all while watching them grazing in gorgeous pastures with sparkling clean water and happy herds right across the fence from where we live. (From what I hear from the people who are in a position to actually know, McDonald's has the strictest requirements regarding the care of the cattle that become their burgers.)

Yes, factory farming is a nightmare and should be dealt with. However, there's a whole 'nother side of the story, and a whole lot of people just like you that eat the meat they raise and, as Capt. says, why would they poison themselves? The best way to deal with the nightmare of factory farming is to support your local farmer.

Again, where are you getting your information?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM

NRDC: Facts about Pollution from Livestock Farms
Nutrition and the Environment
Facts: Factory Farming

People go against their self interest when money is at stake refering to your "why would they poison themselves?"
In addition, many times the people working in slaughter houses do not know the problems caused by the antibiotics and waste. They are low wage, uneducated workers.

I agree with you about supporting local farms.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM

947 posts, read 2,992,983 times
cr1039

Great Links!!!

I agree with you!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,108,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
This is simply not true.

People in these communities suffer from asthma at a higher rate than if the feedlots were not in existance.

These feedlots have "lagoons" that hold huge and unnatural amounts of animal waste. This wasts also includes the antibiotics that the animals are fed so they do not get "sick" from eating cheap foods and being kept in dirty conditions.

Tadpoles in these lagoons have been shown to develop mixed sexual organs.

Imagine as these lagoons travel to lakes and rivers.

That is just one way that we are polluting our water.

In factory farming - nothing is clean or natural. Not the food fed to the animals, not the waste, not the lagoons etc.

And to note a point of another poster, animals may eat animals - but they only hunt when hungry and not for fun. They do not farm animals and they do not slaughter. They conduct a quick hunt and the predator has it in their interest to kill the prey asap so that it is not a threat. Therefore, in nature, you will see many snapped necks etc.

In human nature - these days - animals are caged, taken from their mother too early, fed anitibiotics and then carted cross country on higways in 18wheelers just to be shot in the head, hung upside down, throat slit and left to bleed out. That is far from natural.
Your right, CR. What you choose to read on the net is more "factual" than what I can teach you from first hand experience. Your posts always amaze me.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Your right, CR. What you choose to read on the net is more "factual" than what I can teach you from first hand experience. Your posts always amaze me.

I am clearly, clearly not talking about your farm or your daily actions. I am sure that you don't have issues with immigration, abuse, the EPA, the FDA and others. I am pretty sure you don't slaughter for local public schools, jail systems, KFC or Tyson right? Clearly, I am not talking about you and have not referenced you whatsoever in the mentioned post. Small family farms have no need for lagoons and dont have the above mentioned issues. Seriously...

Hurricane Floyd dumps massive waste into Neuse River
cbs13.com - Feds To Investigate California Slaughterhouse (http://cbs13.com/local/usda.california.slaughterhouse.2.641733.html - broken link)
www.kansascity.com | 11/05/2008 | Kosher Iowa meatpacker seeks bankruptcy protection (http://www.kansascity.com/440/story/876783.html - broken link)
5/31/96: PA SOUTH DAKOTA SLAUGHTERHOUSE COMPANY FINED $2 MILLION

Old 11-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Factory Farms Causing Spike in Asthma - about asthma
http://www.greenvalleys.org/advocacy/pdfs/ebbandflow/drinkingwater.pdf (broken link) - tadpoles sex organs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food