Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:06 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,034,031 times

Advertisements

Please give me some examples of what you'd have in a day as a vegan...
preferably no frozen food items

breakfast
lunch
dinner
any snacks

I'm finding it a bit difficult to get this together. I want to eat vegan, but seem to only resort to frozen stuff at whole foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:12 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,405,733 times
breakfast - either a smoothie with soy/hemp/ or some other nut milk.... with frozen banana, blueberries, strawberries or whatever I feel like. Added flax meal...

or granola with nuts and fruit with some hemp/soy milk

Lunch

hummus and pita
whole grain bread with greens, avocado, veganaise and sundried tomatoes
whole grain bread with "tofurkey", lettuce, mustard and veganaise

dinner
spicy sesame noodles
veggie chili over baked potatoes
spinach/garlic/potato baked with curry (got this recipe on Vegweb.com, they have many great vegan easy and cheap recipes)
lentil soup with kale or spinach, onions, garlic, add whatever strikes your fancy
whole grain pasta with a nice pestosauce

Snacks
nuts
dried fruit, such as mango, apple rings, dates
larabars
peanut butter on toast with banana
etc.

just a few ideas... I highly recommend vegweb for thousands of recipe ideas, that are rated by those that made them.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-25-2008, 12:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,442,585 times
Hi, Raven

Unless you have folk around you who are veges, your best resource is checking websites. It's how I learned, for the most part.

Basically, I graze all day long, and don't divide food into strictly breakfast, lunch and dinner. But here you go...

Breakfast: Coffee above and beyond anything! Oatmeal (not instant), always a piece of fruit, toast, dry cereal with rice milk & fruit. Or, a Hemp protein shake/smoothie made with orange juice or rice milk & some kind of fruit (this is awesome!!!). Scrambled tofu (easy to make night before and rewarm adding mushrooms, olives, etc), potatoes of some sort.

Lunch: I usually have some sort of snack-type food, like carrots, celery with peanut butter, a small pasta dish, lentil soup - I always try to get veges in here.

Dinner: Lightest meal of the day - Salad or soup. Steamed vegetables.

Snacks: Sliced baked potatoes (sweet potatoes are a fav), coleslaw with raisins & walnuts, cold pizza...

Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,405,733 times
hmm, I love coleslaw with raisins and sunflower seeds too

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Yup, it tastes wonderful with olive oil & vinegar dressing. Sometimes, I add in sliced Fuji apples...

Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,400,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hi, Raven

Unless you have folk around you who are veges, your best resource is checking websites. It's how I learned, for the most part.

Basically, I graze all day long, and don't divide food into strictly breakfast, lunch and dinner. But here you go...

Breakfast: Coffee above and beyond anything! Oatmeal (not instant), always a piece of fruit, toast, dry cereal with rice milk & fruit. Or, a Hemp protein shake/smoothie made with orange juice or rice milk & some kind of fruit (this is awesome!!!). Scrambled tofu (easy to make night before and rewarm adding mushrooms, olives, etc), potatoes of some sort.

Lunch: I usually have some sort of snack-type food, like carrots, celery with peanut butter, a small pasta dish, lentil soup - I always try to get veges in here.

Dinner: Lightest meal of the day - Salad or soup. Steamed vegetables.

Snacks: Sliced baked potatoes (sweet potatoes are a fav), coleslaw with raisins & walnuts, cold pizza...
Do you have a recipe? I used to like it but not with "regular" mayo... but guess you could just use veggie mayo? I have never made it either way.

SeeBee, all your suggestions sound so great!
I have oatmeal with peanut butter (I would have Almond butter but I am short on funds right now) cinnamon, agave, soy or rice milk soy protein, flax meal, raisins, blueberries, banana... all or some of these items depending on what i have in the house. But I could really make it a hearty meal.

I also Love smoothies, all kinds of good stuff like what other mentioned.
Yummmm! Makes me want one now but my blender is dirty and well, I am too tired to do all the work!!! Hahaha!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,782,207 times
I don't have a typical day but some of my favorite foods are vegan muffins or pancakes, cereal, coffee w/ Silk vanilla soy milk plus fiber, almond milk, vegetable soup, potatoes prepared almost any way, veggie burgers, Sun Butter sandwiches (no peanut butter in the house because we have a peanut allergy sufferer here), cheeseless pizza, bean burritos, Chana Masala take out, and Tofu Pad Thai take out.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to learn to cook instead of eating like a college student.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Do you have a recipe? I used to like it but not with "regular" mayo... but guess you could just use veggie mayo?
Well, there's not much work involved in this! All I do is add the ingredients together, with Paul Newan's Oil & Vinegar dressing (or my own dressing with olive oil). Safeway and Trader Joe's have cabbage/broccoli already sliced for slaw. That's all there is to it! I really like to sweet and sour taste with the vinegar.

There is vegan mayonnaise - Vegenaise, by Follow Your Heart. It tastes wonderful, but I don't use it in coleslaw.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM

947 posts, read 3,400,494 times
Hey, Thanks SeeBee! I am just not very creative and my kitchen is small so the less cutting chopping, preparing the Better!!! But I'll try it soon, and start and keeping cooking/preparing foods.

This is my problem with not being Vegan. i am at home but if I don't bring all I need to eat for the day I buy things that are not vegan...
Trying hard to work on this...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:58 PM

536 posts, read 2,148,370 times
breakfast: usually just soy or rice milk and a banana, toast with peanut butter or a granola bar

lunch: pita bread with hummus or olive oil & garlic, stuffed grape leaves, sometimes frozen amy's meals if im at work

dinner: yakisoba noodles with veggies, veggie burritos, couscous & veggies, sauteed potatos, beans and rice.

snacks: nuts, fruit, cereal, vegan baked goods occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food