Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times

Advertisements

there are no veggies that come close to replacing meat, its a simple nutritional fact.

people like to use beans or nuts, but both are super high in carbs, carbs are something one should limit as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM

113 posts, read 216,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
there are no veggies that come close to replacing meat, its a simple nutritional fact.

people like to use beans or nuts, but both are super high in carbs, carbs are something one should limit as much as possible.
didn't that atkins guy pass on? people still follow his rules? wow. Progress is just around the corner.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I enjoy beans and lentils. Try creating patties and fix them like you would a hamburger. I've had chickpea burgers, sometimes I use rolled oats in the mixture. You can also use tofu, cornmeal, so many options left up to your imagination. Seems like salt and texture are the two things people crave when they think they're craving a burger. Add a slice of onion, tomato, lettuce, ketchup and mustard or mayo and what ever else you put on the burger is the same. Could be a potato cake or a bean pattie or pink slime. they all taste similar.
Very true! They do taste similarly. But I find the addition of pink slime to my mouth to be sickening.

We can all argue about legumes, TVP, lentils, eggplant etc. but none have the gross out factor of pink slime.

Pink Slime... one of many reasons that I pass on meat.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:58 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

There is a big difference between refined, simple carbs & healthy, complex carbohydrates.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Default Barbecued Seitan Ribs!! :D

I am total vegan right now (not vegetarian) and follow this vegan blog (amongst others):
Fat Free Vegan: FatFree Vegan Kitchen | Sinlessly Delicious Recipes

Here is a VIDEO recipe for "Barbecued Seitan Ribs" made step-by-step by another cook who loves Susan's Fat Free Vegan Kitchen blog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhq4cH_et7U#t=85
And here's the written recipe:
Susan V’s Barbecued Seitan Ribz
You'll be amazed at how easy this recipe comes together using your favorite bottled sauce.
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons peanut butter, tahini or other nut butter
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 tablespoon soy sauce
about 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with canola oil. Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix the water with the nut butter, Liquid Smoke, and soy sauce and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir to mix well and then knead lightly in the bowl for a couple of minutes.

Put the dough into the baking dish and flatten it so that it evenly fills the pan. Take a sharp knife and cut it into 8 strips; then turn the pan and cut those strips in half to form 16 pieces.

Put it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. While it's cooking prepare your grill pan or grill.

Remove it from the oven and carefully re-cut each strip, going over each cut to make sure that the ribz will pull apart easily later. Generously brush the top with barbecue sauce. Take it to the grill pan or grill and invert the whole baking dish onto the grill (or use a large spatula to lift the seitan out, placing it sauce-side down on the grill). Brush the top of the seitan with more sauce.

Watch it closely to make sure that it doesn't burn. When sufficiently brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side, adding more sauce, if necessary. When done, remove to a platter and cut or pull apart the individual ribs to serve.

And here is the page from Susan's blog with her original recipe AND photos!
Barbecued Seitan Ribz | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Seitan is something I use a lot, in addition to tempeh and tofu. Enjoy!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I love Indian food.

I make a very easy and fast veggie meal with chick peas (I get canned, I'm lazy and a bad cook)...
doesn't mean you're a bad cook at all... do you know how many chefs and culinary gurus use can goods when theyre cooking for themselves and others??

Dont downplay your skills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food