U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
This all makes scene.

Sometimes I just feel like the "outcast" if I am always the "one" that is different with my eating habits. Not that I would ever change and people should be used to me but sometimes I am the just "the different one" and others make it a point to point it out by what I am eating.

Just gets a bit frustrating.
Hi, need! As I've gotten older, I've learned that your true friends would never ridicule you, or point out how different you are by your food choices. I hope that you are talking about casual friends or acquaintances. Like others said, all we can do is concentrate on what we can control and what we believe in. Friends will support you in that, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,977,903 times
I have never cared what other people eat, for some reason. But I deeply understand the need to be surrounded by like-minded people, even if they are omnis. I have two young sons (we are a vegetarian family), and the first question on the state forums I ask when checking out a new job possibility is, "Would a vegetarian family be accepted, especially in the school system." Sometimes people think it is a silly question, but eating is a very fundamental act of living and not everyone takes kindly to different choices. Being different on this level can give a punch to your self image (especially children) and being ridiculed twice as bad.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,194,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hi, need! As I've gotten older, I've learned that your true friends would never ridicule you, or point out how different you are by your food choices. I hope that you are talking about casual friends or acquaintances. Like others said, all we can do is concentrate on what we can control and what we believe in. Friends will support you in that, I believe.
Totally agree. Hubby and I went to a friends home (her and her hubby) for dinner last week. She made a VEGAN meal for all 4 of us!

She even made a vegan cake using 7up.

It is hard not to consider the plate across from you and the harsh reality of where it came from, but I just try to set a good example.

That example has started to pay off - some of my friends are turning into these "thoughful meat eaters" - just teetering on the brink of vegetarianism.

First the fast food meat goes, then veggie meals are ordered at restaraunts, then they start questioning their food choices etc.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Totally agree. Hubby and I went to a friends home (her and her hubby) for dinner last week. She made a VEGAN meal for all 4 of us!

She even made a vegan cake using 7up.

It is hard not to consider the plate across from you and the harsh reality of where it came from, but I just try to set a good example.

That example has started to pay off - some of my friends are turning into these "thoughful meat eaters" - just teetering on the brink of vegetarianism.

First the fast food meat goes, then veggie meals are ordered at restaraunts, then they start questioning their food choices etc.
What a nice story....you have great friends! Bit by bit, we all have an impact on those around us.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM

947 posts, read 2,993,310 times
Thanks Guys and Gals!

You know used to just sit quite or try to anyway and try to "blend in" so as to not be questioned about "my food" that was on my plate, and well, why it did not contain any meat...
Well, more recently if questioned I will give an answer and Not sugar coat it like I used to.

I just care sooo much about all animals that sometimes I let it bug me, Especially when someone is being immature and Disrespectful says, ... What?... you don't want to try this, but it's good..."
Ugh.

Yeah, I wish there were more Like-minded people around me!!
But I do appreciate that some others accept and respect the veggie lifestyle.

I will just try to only be concerned about me. And if someone really wants to know about my "ways" than I will do my best answer their questions.

My true friends are respectful and compassionate of my feelings too, so I am thankful for that!!!

Last edited by need4Trees; 02-25-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food