Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:33 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
My mom raised me as one so I have never known another lifestyle..

Yay really? Have you ever tried meat? How old are you? I plan on "one day" raising our kiddo on a vegetarian diet. Would like to stay away from leather etc. too.

Tell us about this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM

89 posts, read 201,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Yay really? Have you ever tried meat? How old are you? I plan on "one day" raising our kiddo on a vegetarian diet. Would like to stay away from leather etc. too.

Tell us about this!
I'm 26 and have only eaten meat accidentally. I think it has been much easier on me to be raised as a vegetarian. I have never really had to deal with the temptation of meat. My mom was actually raised as a vegetarian starting when she was 3 years old. So meat has never been anything that I feel I have missed out on. My brother went through a 'rebellion' stage and began eating meat but still can't stomach anything that actually looks like meat. It has to be very processed. We grew up lacto-ovo vegetarians so we ate eggs and dairy. I would say it is much easier being a vegetarian nowadays than it used to. There are a lot of veggie options in restaurants now which didn't use to be the case. Being veggie is not as 'weird' as it once was so it makes it easier. I don't think you should have a problem with raising your child that way. I am sure they will turn out great!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM

23 posts, read 71,160 times
Default this is a bit lengthy...

this is a bit lengthy, but I wanted to express that my reasons for going vegetarian/vegan evolved as I became more aware of certain things...

stopped eating beef: December 2003
because: purely selfish reasons. The big news item was 'mad cow in US' (a cow in Washington state has tested positive for Mad Cow Disease). I read that mad cow effect on humans is similar to Alzheimers & I thought to myself "that would suck"... it was so close to the end of December that I decided to make 'stop eating beef' my New Year's resolution. I stopped eating pork then as well (never really liked it).

stopped eating chicken: July 2004
because: I don't like special sauce. Pilgrim's Pride workers had been caught on video doing horrible things to chickens (like stomping them, slamming them against the wall to kill them & then sending them on down the line). One report I read said that one of the workers had "anally invaded" one of the chickens.... and I thought to myself: seeing as how the worker's job was to kill the chickens and send them down the line, what exactly did the worker do with that chicken he 'anally invaded'? My guess is he sent it on down the line, and somebody ate that chicken. I decided I didn't want any special sauce and stopped eating all poultry.

stopped eating seafood: For a while, the only meat I had was fish (b/c I figured 'hey, the fish are swimming out in the ocean, they've got a fighting chance'). Then I read/saw videos about all the "bycatch" in the seafood industry. Bycatch is all the other creatures that get caught up in the nets. Example: if boat is fishing for salmon, hundreds of other species of fish/dolphins/turtles get caught up in the net along with the salmon). These bycatch creatures either drown, are crushed, or suffocate in the air before they are tossed dead back into the sea. Even the 'DOLPHIN SAFE' tuna doesn't stop this; all it means is that dolphins will be helped out of the net while all the other bycatch is left to die.

went vegan: gradually, starting in 2005. completely vegan since 2006. I went vegan by giving up one dish at a time, and adding a vegan recipe to replace it, until my entire menu became vegan.

Stopped eggs / products made with eggs because: I saw a clip in a movie where all these just-hatched chicks were being moved along a conveyer belt (thousands of them) and they were picked up & sorted by workers who determined their sex & threw them down the next line (one for males, one for females). In an assembly line fashion, workers pressed the beaks of the female chicks to hot soldering irons (to de-beak, so the chickens would not peck each other to death when they are crammed into cages to be egg-laying hens). The males went down the other line & were tossed alive into a dumpster where they were left to die. They were crushed or starved to death.

read: The "free range" myth
read: What's Wrong With Dairy & Eggs?

Stopped eating cheese / milk products:
• Cheese was the absolute hardest thing for me to give up. But then I read/watched videos about the life of a dairy cow & could not in good conscience continue to play a part in that cycle of misery. The dairy cows are chained to a stall and, essentially, raped by a farmer with a cold metal turkey baster. When the cow has her baby, it is taken away from her just hours or days after its birth. I learned that cows can live to be about 15 years old, but that most cows are slaughtered at age 3. Not to mention the hormones & antibiotics.
• I had never liked drinking milk, so converting to soy/rice/almond milk was really easy. I learned very quick how to make my desserts & chocolaty things vegan. Didn't miss a beat

What's wrong with wool, leather, & down?

For those not worried about animal rights / factory farming, there's the issue of your own personal health: (cholesterol, animal fat, osteoporosis caused by intake of too much protein)
and there's the environmental reasons, like pollution / grain consumption by livestock that could better feed humans / inefficient use of farmland.

Here's an overview geared toward parents of newly vegetarian/vegan kids: http://afa-online.org/docs/tipsforparents.pdf

Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 PM

24 posts, read 83,148 times
I became vegan for the environment and my health. Too many chemicals are used in meat and meat products and the space needed to hold animals for food is devastating our lands and clearing out rain forest.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:18 PM

24 posts, read 83,148 times
Quote:
My mom raised me as one so I have never known another lifestyle..
I went to school in the city you reside in. I will have to admit that I was amazed how many are vegetarian in that city alone...The vegetarian food that can be bought is simply amazing. I love the Loma Linda market where I can buy Big Franks.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 AM

33 posts, read 49,217 times
I am a new vegan. It was a combination of health, animal welfare, and negative environmental impact.

My husband isn't vegan or vegetarian, but he'll happily eat whatever I cook He's also just started to read Skinny *****, because he's very keen on knowing about food production.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 PM

14 posts, read 22,494 times
As a child I was very distressed once I learned what meat was. I didn't have a choice about what to eat, and I was hungry and so I ate it, but it always bothered me. Once I was old enough to make decisions for myself - ie college, then I first eliminated beef and pork, then chicken. I never liked the taste of meat because I could never separate what it was. I realized that my favorite childhood dishes were in sauce and it was the seasoning and sauce that I liked the most.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and have only eaten meat accidentally. I think it has been much easier on me to be raised as a vegetarian. I have never really had to deal with the temptation of meat. My mom was actually raised as a vegetarian starting when she was 3 years old. So meat has never been anything that I feel I have missed out on. My brother went through a 'rebellion' stage and began eating meat but still can't stomach anything that actually looks like meat. It has to be very processed. We grew up lacto-ovo vegetarians so we ate eggs and dairy. I would say it is much easier being a vegetarian nowadays than it used to. There are a lot of veggie options in restaurants now which didn't use to be the case. Being veggie is not as 'weird' as it once was so it makes it easier. I don't think you should have a problem with raising your child that way. I am sure they will turn out great!
Thanks for sharing!

I was raised eating meat - the challenge comes in my mind and body forgetting that.

These days, my body is telling me more vegetables/fruits (easier in the summer when I can harvest my deliciously fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden). When I prepare meals these days, I view vegetables as the main course and everything else as a side.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

156 posts, read 260,445 times
because i'm a lousy hunter.

but in all seriousness, its for health reasons. The only time i ever managed to have the physique i wanted was when i've been a vegan.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevalentine1986 View Post
because i'm a lousy hunter.

but in all seriousness, its for health reasons. The only time i ever managed to have the physique i wanted was when i've been a vegan.
I am guilty of not eating as many fresh fruits and vegetables in the winter as I should. But during the summer, I am able to grow my own vegetables and pluck from the fruits of the vine. I have thoroughly enjoyed the bounty this summer.

What I have noticed since I began enjoying nature's wonders and my garden's bounty is that my GI tract is much more happier.

I will store and freeze as much as I can from the summer's bounty. Autumn is here (leaves changing colors and dropping) and my garden will soon be harvested and dormant. During its dormancy, I will not forget the lesson that I already knew (fruits and vegetables are healthy - provided that ....).

I will splurge on the health benefits that I enjoyed this summer - organic vegetables and fruits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food