Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 01:36 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,209,209 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be making lasagna this week, and since it is something I don't make very often, I lost the last recipe I used, which my son really liked (and he's a big critic of anything I try to feed him that doesn't have meat in it).

Anyway, I know it had mushrooms and thawed out frozen spinach, but going on line, I am finding lots of variations that don't have either of those two ingredients - things like shredded carrots, chopped zucchini and/or other types of squash, and so forth instead.

So, I thought I'd see what you all have to offer in the way of recipes....and maybe why you prefer that one over others.

Also, am I the only one who prefers cottage cheese over ricotta in lasagna?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM

912 posts, read 1,517,594 times
What about this one?

My Favorite Lasagna | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

I've made it both as-is (vegan) and non-vegan by subbing out the tofu for ricotta cheese, and I like it a lot. It's nothing fancy, but it is very good. If going non-vegan, you could also add in some shredded mozzarella cheese.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
What about this one?

My Favorite Lasagna | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

I've made it both as-is (vegan) and non-vegan by subbing out the tofu for ricotta cheese, and I like it a lot. It's nothing fancy, but it is very good. If going non-vegan, you could also add in some shredded mozzarella cheese.
Non-vegan here (I have to have my eggs and cheese!) - but that recipe looks really good.

I have tofu on hand, but it is extra firm - would that make much difference, do you think? Also, since with other lasagna recipes, you mix an egg with the ricotta (or cottage cheese), should I mix an egg with the tofu? Obviously it's not necessary, but would it add anything to do so? And, since I'll be using mozarella anyway, should I do so in the way I typically would?

But, yeah, the recipe looks very good (and easy), and I think I'll try it tonight - although it just occurred to me that I forgot to buy mushrooms when I went grocery shopping on Sunday. My son should be able to pick me up some when he gets off work, though (it will just make dinner a little later).

Anyway, thank you for the recipe.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,717,183 times
Extra-firm tofu will work fine in that recipe either hand-crumbled/potato masher method or food processor.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,776,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

Also, am I the only one who prefers cottage cheese over ricotta in lasagna?
I prefer the taste and texture of cottage cheese to ricotta, and always use in in my lasagna.

Using cottage cheese adds a lot of water to the dish, so if I don't want the extra juice, I hang the cheese for a while to drain the extra water.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 PM

152 posts, read 456,021 times
I prefer cottage cheese to ricotta in my lasagna too.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 AM

269 posts, read 369,665 times
I don't use either cottage cheese or ricotta, I use bechamel like a normal lasagna and for the veggie/tomato sauce I do use quite a few different veggies along with a can of tomatoes and a small jar of sundried tomato pesto.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM

800 posts, read 1,901,405 times
This is my recipe: Tofu Lasagna
It's pretty basic but lasagna is a great food to substitute what you like for what you don't like.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM

I actually ended up making this recipe (halving it, though, for just my son and I and there were still plenty of leftovers):

Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Recipe | Emeril Lagasse | Recipe - ABC News

Instead of the fresh spinach, I used a package of frozen, and instead of the cremini mushrooms, I used button.

The reason I went with one with cottage cheese instead of tofu was because I knew my son would eat it and also because the tofu I have on hand is earmarked for some enchiladas (I'll start a new thread for that - lol) and I had the cottage cheese anyway.

Both of the recipes using tofu look really good, also, and I will be trying those later, I'm sure. Thanks for posting them.

Also, I did notice a watery lasagna but I chalked it up to maybe my not draining the spinach well enough. But, it could very well have been the cottage cheese - the last time I made lasagna, I used my homemade goat milk cottage cheese, which was much drier than store bought, and I didn't have that problem.

Well, time to start a thread on vegetarian enchiladas. I told my son I was going to make enchiladas this week and he got all excited. I didn't tell him, though, that they were going to be made with tofu instead of meat; think he'll notice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food