Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,539 times

Advertisements

1.Do you guys eat gelatin at all,since I think that there are some type of gelatin that weren't from animal flesh,but I might be wrong...

2.Does bubblegums in general have gelatin in them?

3.Why is gelatin used in food(s)?

I just know that many Muslim don't eat food product(s) that has gelatin in them because gelatin could be made from pig(s)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
1.Do you guys eat gelatin at all,since I think that there are some type of gelatin that weren't from animal flesh,but I might be wrong...
I don't eat gelatin at all.

Quote:
Not that I know of, but I don't chew gum. Check the ingredient label to make sure.

Quote:
It provides "substance" to many foods.

Quote:
I just know that many Muslim don't eat food product(s) that has gelatin in them because gelatin could be made from pig(s)!
I'm not familiar with Muslim customs, so can't address that ...

Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,539 times
The last comment wasn't a question,since it didn't have a question mark at the end. No offense,intended! Thank you for answering my questions to the best of your ability,squeezeboxgal!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The last comment wasn't a question,since it didn't have a question mark at the end. No offense,intended!
And I didn't take it that way -- just saying that this is something I hadn't heard before ...

Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times

Nope, I don't eat gelatin. Agar is often used as a vegan, gelatin substitute. It's made from seaweed.

Not sure. I don't chew gum (for reasons other than veganism.)

I assume to make foods a certain texture. Think of items that contain it... mousses, Jello-O, etc.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post

Agar is often used as a vegan, gelatin substitute. It's made from seaweed.
Although I can't remember what we used it for, we used to buy it at the health food store. The only time we use it now is when it's made into capsules.

Many vitamins or nutritional supplements come in gelatin capsules, so if you take these, be sure to check and see if they are made of Agar-agar from seaweed or from gelatin from horse and cow hooves.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Gelatin makes certain foods "set"--it holds things together. If it wasn't in Jello, you would simply have a really sweet liquid. I'm not very rigid in my diet, so I don't check for it regularly, but I do avoid jello because it is obviously there. (I also try to eat whole-foods as much as possible, so I kind of naturally avoid it.) I also heard it is in some yogurts, but that is something you would have to look into yourself.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I also heard it is in some yogurts, but that is something you would have to look into yourself.
Gelatin sneaks into a LOT of products (many times where you wouldn't expect it), so it's best to always read the label.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Gelatin is often found in commercial cheesecake, and commercial chocolate mousse.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 AM

179 posts, read 480,750 times
Quote:
I think that there are some type of gelatin that weren't from animal flesh,but I might be wrong...
Gelatin is ALWAYS made from animals, usually pig. And it's not made from flesh but from bones, cartilage, intestines and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food