U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,270,427 times

Advertisements

Hate to sound like those commercials or worse yet -- oprah!

But still, I just had my aha I can't go on pretending anymore moment. As I said in my first post here, I've been drawn to being a vegetarian for years now, but always found a way to put it off. The biggest way, and I am embarrassed to admit it is that I had completely divorced myself from the 'meat' process. Yes, I pretty much pretended that meat came in those little trays or wrapped in white butchers paper and tried very, very hard not to think about where it came from. And it worked.
Today I made my first and last roast turkey. I know, I sound ridiculous when I say that there was no pretending what that was, that it was a turkey and that according to the package - it was a young turkey. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever done. And I will not do it again.

Thanks again, everyone for the great links! And the support as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,118,155 times
Welcome to the fold, my child .....

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times
Congratulations on making this life-affirming decision! Just be sure you are up to speed on how to plan a healthy vegetarian diet. Prepare yourself to feel great all over!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,594,630 times
Good for you! Welcome!!!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The biggest way, and I am embarrassed to admit it is that I had completely divorced myself from the 'meat' process. Yes, I pretty much pretended that meat came in those little trays or wrapped in white butchers paper and tried very, very hard not to think about where it came from. And it worked.
No embarrassment needed. That's how disassociation works, with a kind of disengagement from the truth of where and what that "meat" was. It's nothing more than very powerful packaging and advertisement.

I was the same way as you, I used to buy chicken and debone it myself. That got disgusting. So then I just bought chicken or fish already deboned. And that made no sense to me, to delude myself that this stuff actually begins its life without bones, blood or senses. Underneath it all, we know very well where this flesh comes from.

I have absolutely no intention of ever killing for food or deboning (or as some like to fancy it up, "field dressing") an animal again in my life.

Sorry for being so literal, but I don't want you to be hard on yourself. Unless you grow up surrounded by vegetarianism/veganism, it is a learning process. It was for me. I'll say this again, I am completey impressed by the people who chose this lifestyle when they are young.

And it is totally life-affirming as someone wrote. You've made a positive, wonderful choice for your life. Congratulations!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Welcome to the fold, my child .....
LOL, I love this!!! Kind of reminds me of that commercial long ago, where Mother Nature says, "it's not nice to fool Mother Nature". You sound like the kinder, gentler version of her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food