Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:22 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Considering the recent frozen foods and Morning Star threads, why not a thread on vegan and vegetarian product reviews?

I'll start...

I buy veggie slices American flavor. By no means are they "healthy" but they work great as a grilled "cheese" sandwich to go well with vegetarian chili or tomato soup.

I also occasionally melt one slice with refried beans, when cooking in a pot on the stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
One of my best finds is Lara bars. They are raw, vegan, unprocessed and portable. My favorites are apple, pecan pie, and cashew. You can buy them in bulk at Costco for cheap.

Another is raw, organic agave nectar. Wonderful to use in hot tea and atop oatmeal. Trader Joe's has really good pricing.

And another that I've mentioned before is Food for Life sprouted grain products. I enjoy the bread and wraps.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:57 PM

I used Veganaise for the first time last night to make a "mock tuna salad" with chick peas. I was so impressed!! Here is the recipe:
Tonight's Dinner; Don't Call it a Mock Tuna Salad

I miss tuna. Strange, I know. I have not eaten fish in 15 years and did not even eat tuna often when I was younger - but I still have a strange craving every once in a while.

I have been searching for mock tuna recipes for a while now and finally settled on a mish mash of 3 or 4 similar recipes. It - was - awesome.

When I told hubby about my intent to give this a shot for dinner, he was none to excited. He usually takes a lot of coaxing to try any "mock, imitation, etc" of any meat.

I made this for myself on an evening when I knew he would not be home until 8:30, so therefor I could call this dinner my own and make him something else if needed.

He came home, gave the bowl a dirty look, grilled me about the ingredients and then took a bite. And another, and another. He was able to - with a full mouth - say, "You nailed it". I actually made a fist and said, "Yes!". (think DJ from Full House)

Ingredients:
1 can of chick peas
2 tablespoons of Veganaise
2 celery ribs
a nice slice of thick rings of white onion
garlic salt
pepper
a squeeze of lemon

Drain and rinse the chick peas. Add veganaise and mash, mash, mash with a fork. I left some whole chunks for texture.

Slice celery ribs and chop onion, add and stir. Add garlic salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon - stir.

I also added a dash of "garlic and wine seasoning" that I have. Go ahead and add any other spices you would have usually added to tuna.

This was eaten at room temperature, so delish! I suppose this could serve 2 people if eaten as a sandwich with some "fixins'" and thick bread. For my meal, I ate this on it's own and left hubby just 5 bites or so.

I would like to try serving this as an appetizer on crusty bread slices!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I used Veganaise for the first time last night to make a "mock tuna salad" with chick peas ...
Thanks for this! Tuna is one of the most nagging desires I have had since my diet had changed. I so miss a dish from the cafeteria at work. Very simple, a scoop of tuna salad on a ripe quartered tomato on a bed of green lettuce, with saltines I look forward to making your recipe

Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
I'm going to try this. I really miss tuna sandwiches.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I'll have to try that too I LOVE Veganaise, I don't use anything else... none of the others are as good, IMO.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Ingredients:
1 can of chick peas
2 tablespoons of Veganaise
This is probably one of the easiest and closest "tuna" spreads you can do. I usually only use these two items plus salt. I'm too lazy to add the other stuff. You can make it chunky or smooth.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
This is probably one of the easiest and closest "tuna" spreads you can do. I usually only use these two items plus salt. I'm too lazy to add the other stuff. You can make it chunky or smooth.

Perfect, I'll try that soon! Just cooked my own chick peas, took a while but I guess it saves moneys and less waste! but think they are just a tad undercooked... that is ok though.

cr1039,
Wow, I just never thought of this kind of recipe, sounds great! Yummy, I love Veganase too!

Oh, and I love Cliff Bars!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 AM

We had a dinner party last night.

The appetizer was crusty bread slices and three topping options:

Olive oil and spices
Portabello Mushroom Pate
and
This Chickpea dish!

Everyone LOVED it! I had to even refill the server

Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
I made that. It was great! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food