Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

The DC area is surprisingly veg friendly... so many choices and all vegetarian, some even vegan, restaurants. I really miss all the neat places. Up here in Central MA it is a vegetarians nightmare, as far as restaurants are concerned. ONE measly veggie one in the City of Worcester, which is the second largest city in New England.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 AM

184 posts, read 447,961 times
Both NY and SF have been great, Seattle and Portland were good as well. Asheville, NC has a good veg scene. Madrid had a surprising amount of options and I met a lot of vegetarians on my last trip.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
the SF bay area is incredibly veggie friendly. awesome veggie restaurants up that way. we found Los angeles metro area totally veggie friendly as well. In fact, CA is just veggie friendly, even many of the inland spots.

I'm living in Denver area now and it's not particularly veggie friendly. not to diss my new home city or anything but it's definitely a cow-eating town, lol, though I knew that when I moved here. Easier in the Denver city center, harder in the burbs.

Chicago is pretty veggie friendly. we have family there and it's pretty easy to find awesome veggie food there. I think if it's a big enough town/city and there are a couple of good colleges, that means there will be decent veggie food, lol. diversity helps too. most of the world is vegetarian, whether by choice or by necessity.

it's hard to be a vegetarian in a place where you can't easily go out and dine, esp if that what you like doing. I remember living along the mediterranean coast in Egypt for a week with friends and it was awful. everything was seafood! the rest of egypt is quite veggie friendly, but alexandria was just endless seafood. Made dining out with friends very challenging. I felt I was keeping them from the food they wanted, kwim? anyway, I get why you're doing the search.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 PM

239 posts, read 711,338 times
I had a hard time being a veggie in OC. There were only a handful of restaurants that had vegetarian food. I do not like Asian food, so it can be more limited. Granted, you can go to Ruby's and get a veggie burger when you feel like it, but not really much else besides Alta, Gypsy Den, and Mother's market (which does not have the best/freshest food).

Seattle has a ton of choices, never had a problem there. Looking forward to an upcoming move to DC...tons of choices there, also.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 38,545 times
Chicago has an amazing vegan community. When I moved here I was impressed by the wide age range of the vegans I met. There's even a Vegan Family Association here.

As far as restaurants go, there are 4 all vegan restaurants, at least 8 all vegetarian restaurants and many, many more that have vegan and vegetarian options.

One thing that's great about Chicago that I'm having trouble finding elsewhere is the large amount of vegan households. You can easily move into an all vegan apartment in a number of neighborhoods.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 AM

33 posts, read 49,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I have had some great success in visiting various cities, I am from Dallas and currently live in San Antonio:

Toronto
San Diego
New York
Austin

However, some cities, while not on the radar, I found very accommodating overall:

Scottsdale
Vegas (anything goes right!)

I will be visiting Chicago at the end of the month and cannot wait!! I already have some places "on the table"

I am a bit concerned about international travel though.

Would love to visit iceland, ireland etc. but think that the food would not suit me.

Anything like china is totally out - not interested.
I'm moving to San Antonio next year with my family. I've found a vegan meet up group there, so I'm glad to know that I won't be the only one

Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM

60 posts, read 129,397 times
Something to look for is populations with large groups of people that are vegetarians for religious reasons like Hindu or SDA. Where I live there is a growing population of Hindu vegetarians which has caused most of the area restaurants to start offering more vegetarians options.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
Loma Linda, Ca.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:06 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I have had some great success in visiting various cities, I am from Dallas and currently live in San Antonio:

Toronto
San Diego
New York
Austin

However, some cities, while not on the radar, I found very accommodating overall:

Scottsdale
Vegas (anything goes right!)

I will be visiting Chicago at the end of the month and cannot wait!! I already have some places "on the table"

I am a bit concerned about international travel though.

Would love to visit iceland, ireland etc. but think that the food would not suit me.

Anything like china is totally out - not interested.

Matriarco - you were right. Chicago was very vegetarian friendly! What a great trip and experience that was!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
I'm surprised L.A. and San Francisco aren't mentioned more often in this thread. I found them both full of nice places for vegetarians&vegans to eat and buy food. Not so much in NYC, maybe I'd been looking in the wrong place? (Manhattan -someone told me Brooklyn was more vegan-friendly on the whole-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food