Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 PM

167 posts, read 517,825 times

Advertisements

What cities do you think have the most vegan/vegetarians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I would have to qualify my answer with per-capita because naturally LA, and Manhattan are going to be at the top of the list. I have always found cities with the most Eastern World Populations have lots of Vegans, Chicago, Houston, Philly, San Fransico,
I have a book in my personal library by Lindsay Wagner that is a directory of Natural Foods and Resturants in the US and Canada. Its not new but maybe 10+ years old but It was of great use when I was traveling. But I would thumb through it to see which cities had the most places to serve vegan's needs. I think Eugene Ore. might be at the top for vegans per-capita. (If anyone is interested I could dig it up and find the ISBN # to see if it still in print)

Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
The biggest cities will always have the most vegetarians. NY, LA, Chicago.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
I just googled vegetarian cities and there are lots of links there. Just a sample:

GoVeg.com // Features // North America's Most Vegetarian-Friendly Cities!

Top 5 Vegetarian-Friendly Cities in the World

The Vegetarian Travel Guide...FREE City and State Guides

I'm not surprised to see my town Washington DC in the top of the lists

Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM

167 posts, read 517,825 times
Default vegetarian cities

Thanks to all who replied.

I'm doing a nation-wide search for a new city to call home. I'm a vegetarian and want to land someplace that's accommodating.

I recently lived in TX. Loved the area, and especially the people, but definitely difficult to find vegetarian restaurants. ~ serena

Old 04-19-2009, 03:51 PM

179 posts, read 480,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
Thanks to all who replied.
I'm doing a nation-wide search for a new city to call home. I'm a vegetarian and want to land someplace that's accommodating.
I recently lived in TX. Loved the area, and especially the people, but definitely difficult to find vegetarian restaurants. ~ serena
You sure you got your priorities right? Any big city will give you a virtually endless supply of vegetarian dining options. And to me, exclusively vegetarian restaurants aren't really important when it comes to vegetarian dining. If I go out to eat I'd rather go to a great Indian or Italian restaurant or something like that.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
You sure you got your priorities right? Any big city will give you a virtually endless supply of vegetarian dining options ...
Indeed, I hope I haven't given you a wrong impression either. I am currently looking to get out of the home that turned out to be a very bad choice. I realize that I was looking for places that would be great like they were 20 years ago. That was not a good way to go and did not turn out well - things have changed. Like DCF said make sure to consider all your options like places where you might find folks like yourselves, culture and resources you value, etc, etc. Choose with care and be happy

Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
Where were you living? Did you check out Austin or even DFW.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
I have had some great success in visiting various cities, I am from Dallas and currently live in San Antonio:

Toronto
San Diego
New York
Austin

However, some cities, while not on the radar, I found very accommodating overall:

Scottsdale
Vegas (anything goes right!)

I will be visiting Chicago at the end of the month and cannot wait!! I already have some places "on the table"

I am a bit concerned about international travel though.

Would love to visit iceland, ireland etc. but think that the food would not suit me.

Anything like china is totally out - not interested.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,037 times
I think if you are talking per capita number of vegetarians and vegans, it would be Portland or Eugene Oregon in the USA and perhaps Manchester in the UK. Just guessing but these should be close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food