U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,936,118 times

Advertisements

My cats eat Origen dry food. It's good stuff with no junk.
It's made in Canada and is pretty expensive at about $50 for 15 lbs.
They go through about two bags a month.
It's in a self feeder so they eat it whenever they want.

They also eat junk food - canned Friskies.
They eat about four pounds a day of that - eight five ounce cans.
They prefer the shreds or chunks.

They also occasionally eat stuff that they catch like mice, birds, or bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,193,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I feed both my dogs Evo Innova.

EVO Premium Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Healthy Dog Treats Natura Pet Products

One is very picky and only eats her dog food and chicken jerky.

The other pup loves sweet potatoes, green beans, and other vegetables added to her kibble.

Both are healthy and happy.
I would love to try adding veggies to the kibble, can you tell me about that?

If I am making green beans in the oven with garlic, olive oil and spices, can I add that to my doggie's bowl or is it raw or blanched?

thanks!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,015,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
After I went vegan, I read Obligate Carnivore to learn how to let my dogs be vegan. I highly, highly recommend it. Both of my dogs have been vegan for almost five years now. Noodle has thrived on it just as he did on the raw meat and bones diet I had him on before I went vegan. Cookie has not only thrived on it--it has likely saved her life. She had all sorts of health problems that seemingly miraculously disappeared within a couple of months of being vegan.
I think this is a bad idea and deeply disturbing. If you don't feel comfortable feeding your dogs real meat, than you should have rabbits as pets instead.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:09 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,594,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

If I am making green beans in the oven with garlic, olive oil and spices, can I add that to my doggie's bowl or is it raw or blanched?

thanks!

I'm lazy. I buy the organic canned vegetables for her. Pumpkin is a big time favorite with most dogs. Ensure you buy pumpkin, not pie filler. Add a tablespoon or two and mix it with the regular food.

I give about half a can of green beans. Green beans are also a great diet food if your pet has a weight problem since they are low in calories. Your garlic and olive oil green beans sound wonderful, but I probably would go with plain, cooked or plain canned green beans for the dog. Some spices could cause gastro problems.

My dogs also get plain yogurt from time to time. It helps keep their digestion systems in check. Just a tablespoon mixed in with the food.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 AM

288 posts, read 830,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think this is a bad idea and deeply disturbing. If you don't feel comfortable feeding your dogs real meat, than you should have rabbits as pets instead.
Have you read the book?

None of the vets my dogs have ever had have ever objected to what they eat. Every test they have, they are HEALTHY.

Did you read my partial list of what they eat?

Finally, I already had both dogs when I went vegan. Would you have felt more comfortable if I'd turned them out onto the street and bought rabbits? What about the fact that the vegan diet has eliminated the health problems that my younger dog used to have? Is that deeply disturbing??

Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM

9,535 posts, read 10,844,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

thanks!
Garlic is related to onion and onion is toxic to dogs. Check with your vet before letting them have garlic. Yes, I know that they love it, but animals are as bad as people in choosing what tastes good over what's good for them. They don't know what they're eating, but I must point out that there are no French Fries or quiche or cooked vegetables in the wild.

One last thing. When I said check with a vet, I meant a vet, not a clerk in a health food store.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM

830 posts, read 2,357,683 times
Quote:
Lilybeans, my dog will spin around in circles drooling the whole time when he smells broccoli.
For my dog, it's cabbage. Won't leave me alone if I'm making anything with cabbage.

Collard greens are another one she likes.

But her regular dog food is canned Merrick. I haven't researched it well, but it looks and smells like a really good food.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 PM

947 posts, read 2,992,598 times
I do not feed veg to my kitty's and will not.

I do however find food company's that are good food for them and that they do Not test their pet food on animals. Yup, it happens where cats and dogs are in cages for their life for the benefit of our pets... well I will not have that.

it is jsut not needed.
good natural food doesn't and shouldn't have to be testes on animals in my opinion!

none should be inferior.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,673,063 times
garlic is ok for dogs. in fact it's supposed to keep fleas away if you feed your dog a clove of garlic a day!

i feed my dog a high quality meat-based kibble supplemented with a little bit of olive oil, nutritional yeast, vegetables and yogurt (even though i don't eat yogurt myself!). yogurt is her favorite, if i give her a dollop on top she always eats it first. i've considered putting her on a vegetarian or vegan diet but i'm not sure about it.

my cats, on the other hand, are never going to go veg. they're carnivores, dogs are omnivores. one of them loves vegetables though, she will come running if i'm chopping mushrooms! and she'll pick up a piece of broccoli and shake it like she's trying to stun it before she eats it, and sometimes in the morning i find a tomato that used to be on the counter mutilated on the floor. i also give the cats a can of unsalted tuna once a week or so for a treat, and she has very little interest in it. go figure!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,193,800 times
I saw a program on Animal Planet the other day, it was a culmination of cat resues from various Animal Cops.

There was one segment with a woman who was feeding her cats white rice.

They all came out with SOME sort of problems, the worst being poor, poor vision from lack of nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food