U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,712,016 times

Advertisements

now THAT is nuts.

i know that people do feed cats vegan diets, but they're a bit more sensible than that! they include taurine supplements, etc.

i still don't feel comfortable doing it with my own cats, and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, considering how untested it is, but it's a far cry from feeding cats rice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM

830 posts, read 2,364,832 times
Quote:
Well, all I can say is put a steak on the ground and put a head of broccoli next to it, and then let your dog choose which one he wants. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the broccoli isn't going anywhere.

This is my dog. I do not feed her vegetarian, but she enjoys a variety of my vegetarian food in addition to her regular canned food. She caught me cutting up collards in the kitchen for dinner and came to beg. (She is very aware the moment I take any cruciferous veggie out of the fridge - broccoli, cabbage, even sauerkraut! To her, a cruciferous vegetable is the ultimate treat.)

So she got her collard stem and carried it off to her dog bed to consume. The sideways look she's giving is a watch/warning look to the cat who also likes to eat small bits of collard leaves and is off camera but trying to move in on the kill. (Incidentally, another cat was up on the counter when I got back from picture-taking, nibbling my cut up collards.)

And lo and behold, that thing on the floor next to Nelly is her BONE, discarded when the other choice is collard greens!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:59 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,712,016 times
good point! my dog and one of my cats is the same way. in any case, it's sort of a flawed argument; again, i don't necessarily advocate vegetarian diets for omni/carnivorous pets, especially cats, but what an animal would choose to eat doesn't necessarily reflect what's best for them.

my dog would probably choose a hunk of chocolate over her kibble, for instance.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,196,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

my dog would probably choose a hunk of chocolate over her kibble, for instance.
Who wouldn't??

Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,473,387 times
I ran across this site and thought I would share.

Dangerous Foods That Dogs Should Never Eat - WebMD Slideshow

Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 AM

830 posts, read 2,364,832 times
That slideshow was funded by Iams, which of course wants your dog to be eating a steady diet of kibble. After all, dogs evolved on kibble, right? I have to laugh at the advice against raw meat on this slideshow - exactly how did dogs get here today if they weren't eating raw meat 100, 500, 1000 years ago? And if I was really worried about salmonella, I'd have to worry a lot more about my dog blissfully rolling in my chickens' you-know-what than from eating one of their eggs.

Of course there are some foods that aren't so good for dogs (just like Doritos and Twinkies aren't so good for us), but dogs have been eating scraps for much longer than the tiny speck of time that it hasn't been advised. What's more, they've lived on the scraps of humans from diverse cultures, eating various amounts of meat and veggies in different proportions, and they have thrived.

I've given up on freaking out when my dog licks the bottom of my coffee mug or takes off with the last of a sleeve of *salty* crackers, that kind of thing. She's not dead yet.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 PM

9,571 posts, read 10,917,875 times
I think we all break down and give our dogs and cats some treats that aren't good for them, but please, no chocolate, grapes, or onions. But we need to be careful. I had a cat who loved raw meat. It was his favorite treat. But when he got old he could't do it without serious intestinal problems.

I asked my vet recently about raw meat. She is opposed to it, which is enough for me, but said if a person insisted it should be put in the freezer for 3-4 days.

Every year around deer hunting season many dogs get pancreatitis from being given fatty scraps and bones. Many do not survive.

Animals are perpetual children. They do not instinctively eat the right food.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM

947 posts, read 3,000,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I saw a program on Animal Planet the other day, it was a culmination of cat resues from various Animal Cops.

There was one segment with a woman who was feeding her cats white rice.

They all came out with SOME sort of problems, the worst being poor, poor vision from lack of nutrients.
Very sad...

My lifestyle of good health (most of the time!) follows down to my animal kids and since they do not get to pick from anything unhealthy (like humans and like I could sometimes!), they eat the good for that I give them, not vegetarian/vegan but rather food that they should be eating
from companies that truly care about animals and the future health of our pets too.

Variety is great! dogs and cats love veggies and even fruit! so good to incorporate variety to their diet!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 AM

947 posts, read 3,000,338 times
IAMS food is full of chemicals! and is owned by Procter and Gamble, which kill tons of dogs cats to test own pets' food... not to mention bunnies, rats, etc for shampoos etc
they also own Eukenuba.

Yeah, dogs did not evolve from eating dried up processed "food" like "kibble" with No nutrients left after cooking/processing etc, old ingredients... Nothing fresh!
It is so frustrating to me about the pet food industry...
ugh!
So many animals suffer from malnourishment... I see it all the time at work... when it should not happen...

just a couple days ago I saw an old client, who had moved a year ago or so with her dog and told me that her dog now has diabetes! Well, she had been over weight for some time and their was only so many times that I could try to convice her that Beniful was doing no good and that there are so many other choices... I even lead her down the path... giving her info about foods, where to get it etc...

Sorry to go off here, it is jsut so sad.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:27 AM

9,571 posts, read 10,917,875 times
I agree with you about Iams. PETA did a great job of exposing them.

Are you a vet? Since dogs don't get Type 2 Diabetes I'm a bit confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food