U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 AM

947 posts, read 2,993,310 times

Advertisements

No, not a vet, I am a groomer and see a lot of pets going down hill not just from "bad" food, but I believe a lot of the food lets an animals' body open to an array of problems...

Dogs and cats do get Diabetes not so unlike the Diabetes humans get...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 AM

just for anyone who wants to know...

Diabetes in Dogs

Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,330,693 times
this is an interesting topic. i am 24 and live with my parents and 4 dogs. my mother doesnt care about animal rights and buys products by proctor and gamble (even though i told her all the horrible things they do). she continues to buy iam's dog food. its really hard for me to get her to change this. she refuses to buy any other dog food insisting this is the one we can afford, and the one that the dogs like.

i cant wait to move out and feed my own dogs one day food that i feel happy feeding them.

i refuse to pick up dog food for my mother.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:37 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,018,632 times
I use to know this guy who lived in a tiny 1 bedroom cabin in the middle of the woods. He was a strict vegatarian and he ate a lot of lentils. He refused to buy cat food of any kind and fed this poor cat the lentils, which sat there uneaten. If his cabin had not been overun by mice the poor cat would have never lived.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 AM

9,540 posts, read 10,850,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I use to know this guy who lived in a tiny 1 bedroom cabin in the middle of the woods. He was a strict vegatarian and he ate a lot of lentils. He refused to buy cat food of any kind and fed this poor cat the lentils, which sat there uneaten. If his cabin had not been overun by mice the poor cat would have never lived.

People who do this are no better than trapppers and dog fight promoters.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:25 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,679,641 times
agreed, that is really terrible.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I saw a program on Animal Planet the other day, it was a culmination of cat resues from various Animal Cops.

There was one segment with a woman who was feeding her cats white rice.

They all came out with SOME sort of problems, the worst being poor, poor vision from lack of nutrients.
I remember seeing that segment a couple years ago (at least) -- as I recall, feeding the rice wasn't deliberate neglect on her part. Wasn't she a hoarder or something, and that's all she could afford? I'm certainly not condoning her actions, but I think deep-down (under the emotional issues she obviously struggled with) she *meant* well. The outcome, of course, was tragic.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,679,641 times
i'm sure she meant well. i doubt there are many people out there who would deliberately feed their cats food that wasn't good enough for them. there are outright intentional animal abusers who exist, but that's not the kind of thing they'd do. this was just a matter of ignorance and having too many animals (again, out of good intentions).

the outcome is the same though. hoarding situations *are* animal abuse, regardless of intentions.

i guess it doesn't have much bearing on the vegetarian diet debate though, if she was feeding them rice for financial and not ethical reasons. even if there exists a vegetarian diet that is healthy for cats, plain white rice certainly isn't it!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:18 AM

poor kitties.

my kitties don't even eat the same food every day not to mention a cat only has plain white rice on the platter for them...

they are so not meant to eat that, just like cat chow dry food being left out all day to free feed, that is just not what they should be eating and not what is natural to them.

less is always more, less animals in your home so that they all get the proper care, love attention and medical needs are met, Very important.
so sad to hear about animal hoarders.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 PM

5,358 posts, read 9,826,540 times
My dog is an opportunistic eater. He's the opposite of picky. A bottomless pit. Never met a food he didn't like, except one. Adopted at six months, we think he must have faced starvation at some time in his past. He was a walking skeleton when we got him. Had kennel cough, too.

When we took hm to the vet, she said, "My, this is a very narrow dog." That was true. When he turned sideways, you could hardly see him. Half Whippet as far as we can tell. And the other half is food processor.

He enjoys apples and carrots. In fact, he'll eat any fruit or vegetable except for lettuce. His favorite foods are salmon, salmon skin and anything Italian, especially with cheese and tomato sauce.

Once, when we were walking on a remote beach in Northern California, and he was off-leash, we spied a mound far ahead. Our pooch took off down the beach and made a beeline for it. When we caught up with him, we found him chowing down on a dead and quite ripe sea lion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food