U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM

947 posts, read 3,000,644 times

Advertisements

Just posting this here because I would like to know if your lifestyle is carried on to your pets with regards to food...

What does everyone do as far as the food you feed your pets... Where does it come from? I know that my cats cannot have a vegan diet, so I choose wisely.

I have researched a few companies but how can I be sure that the food is not only very healthy but also not from factory farmed animals?

For long while, in the beginning of my veg. years, although not knowing where their food came from bothered me , I ignored that fact because I didn't know about options and to be honest, didn't research it then. But now I know better and want to help educate others as well.

This book opened my eyes to the horrible food that is called "pet food", the whole industry is horrific and not regulated. I wish others knew about the harm they are causing by feeding "food" that is full of not only additives, fillers and by-products but chemicals not for human consumption, dogs and cats that were euthanized that shelters/vets allow rendering plants to come and take off their hands free of charge (otherwise they have to pay for "proper" disposal)... and end up in our pets' food!

So, just wanted your guys' take on this, whether you are aware of this, what you do and what we can do as a whole to educate others because this "food" is everywhere...

On a positive note, I did get an acquaintance to switch her dogs, which had bad skin problems, food from Beneful, now that is misleading if you have seen the commercials, but it is full of crap, the 1st ingredient is corn after all, to Blue Buffalo. anyway...
I just try to do what I can a little at a time.

this is the book that I think is great!
Nature of Animal Healing by: Martin Goldstein, DVM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 AM

288 posts, read 831,625 times
After I went vegan, I read Obligate Carnivore to learn how to let my dogs be vegan. I highly, highly recommend it. Both of my dogs have been vegan for almost five years now. Noodle has thrived on it just as he did on the raw meat and bones diet I had him on before I went vegan. Cookie has not only thrived on it--it has likely saved her life. She had all sorts of health problems that seemingly miraculously disappeared within a couple of months of being vegan.

I've had some say that it's not "natural" for my dogs to be vegan. My response has always been, "What's natural about kibble?" and "What's natural about a Maltese eating beef, pork, tuna, buffalo or any animal other than a mouse or a rat? Have you ever seen a herd of Maltese hunting down a deer? No? Then what's natural about feeding them deer meat?" In general, nothing about the average companion dog's life is "natural". We humans do not lead a "natural" life either.

I've had some people say that it's cruel of me to "force" my dogs to be vegan by not feeding them other animals. Somehow, those same people do not realize that they are "forcing" their dogs to eat what they provide. And believe me, if they allow the dogs to choose on their own...that would mean allowing the dogs to hunt down their own food, by the way....MOST dogs would not be dining on cow, pig, deer, or any of those other larger animals.

What usually shuts people up the best though, is listing off all the things my dogs DO eat. Have yet to have a person not admit that my dogs eat a much better variety of food, and much healthier food, than they do themselves.

By the way, Scared Poopless: The Straight Scoop on Dog Care is another book that I highly recommend (even though they don't recommend a vegan diet). It goes into every aspect of dog health.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:58 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,197,299 times
My dog eats Wellness dry food. My cats eat Wellness canned food and IAMS dry.

Wellness is good stuff, no Chinese wheat gluten, when that was poisoning animals.

I made the choice to be a vegetarian; my animals did not.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Cool! I'm impressed that your dog and cat do their own hunting/grocery shopping so that they can choose what they eat. Not many can or will do that.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,197,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Cool! I'm impressed that your dog and cat do their own hunting/grocery shopping so that they can choose what they eat. Not many can or will do that.
Well, all I can say is put a steak on the ground and put a head of broccoli next to it, and then let your dog choose which one he wants. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the broccoli isn't going anywhere.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 PM

928 posts, read 1,244,229 times
I can only comment on personal experience.

I have a cat (a very expensive one) who caught a non cat persons attention. It was an instant attraction to him.

He only likes Friskies ... started him on a brand that was called something like Natures Choice and he barely picked at it at 8 weeks old ... he is now about a year old and goes on a screaming fit if he doesn't get the wet food he likes.
That is what you get when you get a cat a lot more vocal that some Siamese.

My dog (who we saved from a kill shelter about 4 years ago) was on eukinuba and she would not eat it. The cheap mush is her preference. She doesn't even care for chunk meat in gravy (goofy dog).

If you want to continue on with saltwater eels all 3 have different eating habits to

Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,202,033 times
Google Image Result for http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3755891t400.jpg

our doggie eats this...

he is 16

Old 05-09-2009, 10:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,370,156 times
Quote:
Well, all I can say is put a steak on the ground and put a head of broccoli next to it, and then let your dog choose which one he wants. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the broccoli isn't going anywhere.
This is definitely not the case with my dog! I call him a vegetarian and roll my eyes and joke that my dog eats much better than I do. What can I say? He LIKES fruits and vegetables. The sound of the knife on the cutting board is a siren's song to him and he will come running to see what goodies Mom will have to offer. His favorites are carrots and apples -- I give him whole, cored apples, which he bats around the living room like a ball for a few minutes before settling down to devour the thing -- but he's also a fan of bell/Holland peppers (any color), green beans, broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce. And raw-and-crunchy suits him just fine. No reason to cook the stuff. He even likes green olives! He likes potatoes, pumpkin, strawberries, blueberries. He loves cheese, which he doesn't get a lot of, and plain yogurt, which he often gets a dallop of mixed into his kibble. He likes nuts (almonds and pistachios, especially) and plain oatmeal and no-sugar-added apple sauce. Heck, sometimes I'll even sprinkle some cinnamon on his oatmeal/yogurt/applesauce mixture! He also likes it when I mix a little egg beaters and olive oil into his food, and I often add some ground flax seed or chopped parsley, if I have it. (Parsley is helpful if your dog has stinky farts. Works to deodorize the gas.)

His "normal" food is a venison and potato kibble. I give it to him either dry or sometimes I add water to the scoop of kibble and nuke it for 30 seconds or so. He loves his "wet" kibble and scarfs it down like I've loaded it up with all his favorites...when I haven't! He's a lean dog, so he can eat the extra calories. I just stay away from supplementing with processed foods, bad fats, and corn/grains. (Except for the oatmeal.)

Now...if only I ate as well as my dog! Then again, I've always said that if I had somebody buying and preparing and serving my food to me, I'd probably eat better, too. I hate to cook, so I tend to go for convenience, and "convenient" isn't always healthy.

I'm sure there are people would would insist that dogs are carnivores, not omnivores or herbivores. I disagree. I think they ARE omnivores. Even wolves in the wild are classified as "omnivorous carnivores." One of the first things wild wolves eat when they make a kill is the stomach contents of the animal they've brought down, which is usually an herbivore of some kind. So the stomach is full of grass, berries, etc., and these become part of the wolf's diet. And some wolves will eat berries and things directly from the bush. (Cats, on the other hand, are extremely carnivorous.)

Last edited by Niftybergin; 05-09-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Lilybeans, my dog will spin around in circles drooling the whole time when he smells broccoli. He does the same for squash, pumpkin, tomatoes, asparagus, green beans, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, bok choy, bell peppers, blueberries, apples, bananas, strawberries, any kind of melon, pineapples, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, brown rice, basmati rice, quinoa, chick peas, navy beans, kidney beans, black beans, heck--any kind of bean, pasta, bread, oatmeal, bocca burger (for a special treat), tofu, hummus...you get the idea.

The last time he had a piece of animal available to him, he sniffed it cautiously and then backed off giving me the same look he gives me when he just pooped and wants me to clean it up. No joke.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 AM

1,337 posts, read 4,603,938 times
I feed both my dogs Evo Innova.

EVO Premium Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Healthy Dog Treats – Natura Pet Products

One is very picky and only eats her dog food and chicken jerky.

The other pup loves sweet potatoes, green beans, and other vegetables added to her kibble.

Both are healthy and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food