U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 04:39 PM

357 posts, read 1,149,410 times

Advertisements

and I need recommendations on food stops along the way. we'll be on I-80 thru nebraska and Iowa. anyone know of any veg or veg friendly restaurants? we're strict lacto ovo vegetarians (will eat eggs and dairy, will not eat anything with a face).

expect to be driving thru lincoln and omaha, maybe overnighting in des Moines before heading on to chicago. it would be nice if we didn't have to go too far from the highway to eat .

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,603,776 times
Anywhere you go, there will be a Taco Bell. Beans instead of meat actually makes some of their food palatable, lol. I still love a bean Baja chalupa every once in a while. Everything there minus the meat is veggie-friendly.

Also, IHOP and Waffle House/Huddle House will have some veg-friendly foods (if you have them up that way). Very good veggie omelets at both of them. Or you can keep an eye out for those Chinese restaurants right off the highway...you always have tofu as an option there.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,116,949 times
I don't have any personal recommendations, but you might want to check out some online sites, such as Vegetarian USA, Vegetarian Cuisine, or Vegetarian Restaurants.

Happy travelling!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,193,800 times
great advice. Be very careful with Chinese food, some sauces in vegetable dishes are not 'vegetarian'

Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 AM

357 posts, read 1,149,410 times
thanks guys. we try to eat healthy and organic even on the road, so we like to plan ahead for any road trips. this is our first time driving thru the "middle" so we don't know what to expect.

anyone ever use this book "healthy highways: the travelers' guide to healthy eating" by nikki and david goldbeck? they're coming out with a new edition June 1st, just in time for our road trip. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with the book.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM

239 posts, read 632,880 times
Hi, I drove cross-country last Summer and did ok. I actually ate at a Denny's which was the first in about 10 years...they have a veggie burger and decent dinner salad.

There are also Subway sandwiches every where, which I dont really like but will work in a pinch.

Otherwise I did one thing that I thought worked well, loaf of bread, p-nut butter, and honey. None of it needed to be kept on ice. Also, cereal and the Horizon milk boxes (like juice boxes) that do not need to stay cold. Works well. I also stocked up on Luna bars and nuts and such. Just keep some paper plates and plastic cups and cutlery in your car and you can stop at any grocery store.

AAA.com also shows restaurants on their trip tic maps.

Good luck and drive safely.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,515,365 times
You should probably check out happycow.net

Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM

186 posts, read 382,073 times
Besides what has already been mentioned, I use yelp a lot while traveling to locate veggie friendly places. There is always the Burrito joints, Qdoba, Chipotle, maybe Moe's in that part of the country. I tend to eat a lot of burritos while on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or