Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM

481 posts, read 805,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Yep, it is pure insanity. Subsidizing corn means we have the dreaded high fructose corn syrup in everything, because it is cheaper than sugar (not that THAT is a healthy food)... cheap soybeans are fed to livestock, which means cheap meat....
If anything should be subsidized it should be healthy food, like fresh fruits and vegetables. People that are strapped for cash can eat much cheaper if they consume BigMac's and junk food, than eating a healthy diet. However all that junk causes health problems, which is one of the reasons why our health care costs are so high.
Did you know that all the corn grown in Iowa in INEDIBLE. The farmers who grow it do not eat their own corn. It is sold for making high fructose corn syrup and cattle feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Watch the movie King Corn. It explains everything.

Independent Lens . KING CORN | PBS

"For the first time in American history, our generation was at risk of having a shorter lifespan than our parents. And it was because of what we ate.”
—Curt Ellis, KING CORN filmmaker

Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
If packaged "vegetarian meats" like Boca, or Morningstar, are part of your regular diet, it can get pretty expensive.

Most of them cost around $8 to $10 a pound, but they are packaged in $3 or $4 packages so it's not as obvious.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If packaged "vegetarian meats" like Boca, or Morningstar, are part of your regular diet, it can get pretty expensive.

Most of them cost around $8 to $10 a pound, but they are packaged in $3 or $4 packages so it's not as obvious.
When you buy a pound of hamburger and cook it, how much of it cooks out as grease?

Most of our Boca and Morningstar packages are 10 oz. and cost about $3.50 or $4 for four large burgers. We think that is very reasonable and our grocery bill is pretty low.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:15 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
When you buy a pound of hamburger and cook it, how much of it cooks out as grease? ...
And the rest of it is dead flesh - Yum!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
When you buy a pound of hamburger and cook it, how much of it cooks out as grease?

Most of our Boca and Morningstar packages are 10 oz. and cost about $3.50 or $4 for four large burgers. We think that is very reasonable and our grocery bill is pretty low.
I don't cook hamburger and have no idea how much grease comes out, but I buy lots of Morningstar and Boca products and I read the store tag that gives the pound price and I don't think it's very reasonable. I think it's very expensive, but that doesn't stop me from buying it.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
I always order a single veggie taco at the local taqueria. For 1.85$ you get a big serving.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't cook hamburger and have no idea how much grease comes out, but I buy lots of Morningstar and Boca products and I read the store tag that gives the pound price and I don't think it's very reasonable. I think it's very expensive, but that doesn't stop me from buying it.
We like them too. We probably use them twice a week. The rest of the time we cook from scratch, depending what we harvested from our garden that morning. Tomorrow is Savory Stuffed Chard Leaves. Peach cobbler for dessert.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 AM

947 posts, read 3,407,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Yep, it is pure insanity. Subsidizing corn means we have the dreaded high fructose corn syrup in everything, because it is cheaper than sugar (not that THAT is a healthy food)... cheap soybeans are fed to livestock, which means cheap meat....
If anything should be subsidized it should be healthy food, like fresh fruits and vegetables. People that are strapped for cash can eat much cheaper if they consume BigMac's and junk food, than eating a healthy diet. However all that junk causes health problems, which is one of the reasons why our health care costs are so high.
...WHich means.... Unhealthy animals that Humans eat, which results in Unhealthy Humans...

I say Unhealthy animals because they should never even be eating a diet that consists of processed soybeans (and the like) because it is lacking nutrients, not to mention very far from what they would choose to eat if they were able to graze the land...

I say Unhealthy humans because they are eating the animals that malnourished and more of it, yeah, lots of Big Mac's etc because it is cheap...

Cheap feeding the animals...
Cheap feeding the people...(meat eaters)
Expensive, huge med bills, with a body that is deteriorating... now that is worth it, Hah because... we subsidize... ugh!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:42 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Yeppers and it makes big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for corporations... food giants, as well as pharmaceuticals etc. dealing with the end result of the bad diet.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food