U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,980,335 times

Advertisements

Don't know if anyone would be interested in this thread, but thought it would be interesting to share good vegetarian-themed kids' books.

I have never sought out a vegetarian-based book (well, directly for the kids), but have run across several that had a theme that my children could idenitify with.

Koko, by Kevin Henke: Koko is a Japanese cat whose mother makes her "all her favorite things" for lunch one day, which happens to be a different kinds of sushi (not all vegetarian, btw). The kids in class tease her, her teacher steps in to show the kids all different kinds of food and in the end Koko makes friends.

Trouble at the Dinosaur Cafe, by Brian Moses: The Dinosaur Cafe is a veggie place until T. Rex comes in and tries to eat them! The plant eaters win and chase T.Rex out.

Minnie and Moo and the Thanksgiving Tree, by Deny Cazet: I love Minnie and Moo! (there is a whole series) They are so funny! My son picked this one out at the library and I could barely read it aloud--we were all laughing so hard as all the farm animals try to hide in the old oak tree because they think they are going to be Thanksgiving dinner. Minnie and Moo try to tell them the truth, but not until the end when the farmer, his wife and her two cousins sit down for a Thanksgiving picnic beneath the tree do they find out that Mrs. Farmer always serves a tofu-turkey for Thanksgiving!

Anyone else with good titles? I know I have more, but these are the one's off the top of my head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,597,294 times
I don't have children, but I find this a great post! Thanks so much for the topic!!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM

830 posts, read 2,359,524 times
This is a bit of a stretch, but an author named Avi has a book called "Poppy" - actually a series - that is quite popular now.

It was our "One School One Book" book (every class reads it) and I read it aloud to my kinders, even though it's for older kids.

One of the characters, by far the favorite among my class because he is so rude and crass (but really a good guy!), is a porcupine. The protagonist, Poppy, who is a mouse, has been warned by an owl (who really is evil and wants to keep all the mice for himself to eat) that porcupines eat mice in a very gruesome way.

So when Poppy runs into this porcupine she's terrified. He announces to her in an outraged manner that he's vegetarian and would never eat her.

I wouldn't have thought of it, except one of my students was reading it at home with his mom ahead of us and couldn't keep his mouth shut during the class reading, and kept foretelling us "He's NOT going to eat her, he's a VEGETARIAN! That means he does not eat meat!"

Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,980,335 times
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm always looking for good books and you know how kids love series. I think my oldest would like that book. Just simple mentions of a vegetarian diet in books is great. Kids can tell when someone or some book is being heavy handed on a subject, yet I can see the boost in enthusiasm when my oldest discovers a character (or person outside our family) doesn't eat meat. So often he is the odd one out and was even teased about it this year a little.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 AM

947 posts, read 2,994,524 times
ooooh this is good! I have 2 nieces and a nephew!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:51 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,124,494 times
Great topic! I hope more people will add their suggestions .....

Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,195,585 times
This is great!

I too have a few that are a strech..

Gregory, the Terrible Eater | The Scholastic Store

The Lady Who Loved Animals (Hardcover) (http://www.graveyardmall.com/lawholoanh.html - broken link)

Terrible Things - An Allegory of the Holocaust by Eve Bunting Detailed Book Review (not about food per se, but sticking together to stand up for what is right. uses animals as the characters)

Old 07-11-2009, 08:32 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,083,872 times
I don't have children (thank goodness) but I do work in a library.

That's Why We Don't Eat Animals is pretty good.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:37 AM

444 posts, read 699,974 times
So, what are books for kids if you DON'T want to promote vegetarianism?? Just curious.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,258,094 times
Oh, I just saw this. What a sweet thread. I don't have kids either, and my nephew and nieces are a bit too old for this ~~

Crazy, haven't seen you around in awhile, but this thread was a great idea!

American Vegan Society

I checked this site for any kids' books. They're supposed to be having a section on that very soon. For future reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food