Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times

Advertisements

The Potato Curry sounds yummy....

I made this last night for a party with a Tex-Mex theme:

Vegetarian Posole

Ingredients

Small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 medium size onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 can pinto beans
2 cans of hominy (I use one yellow, one white)
6 cups of veggie broth
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 lime juiced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt
olive oil to saute onion and garlic (use your own discretion on amount).

Garnishes:
Shredded green cabbage
avocado
a sharp cheese of your choice (unless you're vegan of course)
onion
cilantro
toasted tortillas strips
fresh tomato
lime wedges

Directions

1. Puree the chipotle peppers and sauce in a blender. Be sure not to breathe over the blender when you're removing the pureed peppers...it will clean out your sinuses for the next two weeks. Remove the puree from the blender and set aside.

2. In a soup pot, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is translucent. Be careful not to burn the garlic.

3. Add the tomatoes, 2 tsp of salt, the oregano, and the veggie broth and bring to a simmer. Add the pintos and the hominy and bring back to a simmer. Cook for about ten minutes or so.

4. Add a few teaspoons of the chili puree and the lime juice. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes and then test for heat (as well as seasoning). You can add as much of the chili puree as you like depending upon your tolerance for heat. I serve the extra chili sauce on the side for those who like to burn the hide off of their tongues. Adjust your seasonings and cook an additional five minutes and voila! Quick and easy vegan posole.

You can, if there are meat eaters among you (and this is what I did last night) cook a small pork roast and offer up the slices as garnish as well. I have carnivorous colleagues and professors to placate, what can I say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i made this braised cabbage last night - it's really good. i had it with field roast apple sage fake sausages, which are freaking amazing.

4 tbsp butter or margarine (you can also use regular oil or olive oil, and cut down the amount to 1 tbsp)
1 large onion, quartered & thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 large tart apple, peeled cored & diced
about 8 cups of shredded or chopped cabbage (half a large head)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup apricot preserves or apple jelly
salt to taste

melt the butter or margarine in a large pot over medium heat.

add onions & applies, saute until soft (7-10 minutes)

add cabbage, pepper, vinegar, and preserves, toss together til incorporated (it helps to use 2 spoons to toss).

cover tightly and reduce heat to very low - simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. as long as the cabbage is fresh, it should have enough water in it to prevent burning, but stir & check occasionally to be sure. salt to taste & serve.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Easy Tofu Fajitas

8 oz. block of tofu ( I like the firm nigari tofu)
2 bell peppers (green or red)
1 large onion

Saute cubed tofu with sliced bell peppers & sliced onions. Serve in warmed whole wheat tortillas with salsa.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 89,766 times
I made a half batch of quiet walker's Stuffed Bell Peppers last week (erroneously attributed to Ellise in another thread) and they were so doggone good I'm making a full batch today and freezing half. I'm not a big green bell pepper fan but I absolutely love this dish. I used Lightlife Mexican style smart ground instead of TVP and added a jalepeno pepper. A neighbor with a garden advised this dish freezes well. I highly recommend this recipe... it's delicioso!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Oh I did something fun with tofu the other day!

1/2 pound of tofu, drained and squeezed
1/3 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
chopped fresh spinach
a bit of soy milk
bit of olive oil
spices....salt, pepper, basil etc.

I put all of the above in a blender and then mixed it in with al dente whole wheat rigatoni, sliced zucchini and red sauce.

Baked it in the oven.

Yum.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Last night I made tacos:

1 can of refried beans cooked stovetop with crushed garlic and olive oil.

Sauteed yellow onion, purple onion, carrots, red pepper and green pepper.

All went in corn tortillas with a bit of shredded lettuce a corn. - YUM! And quick!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM

1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small/medium yellow onion
1 or 2 garlic cloves
1/2 green pepper
dash of red sauce
spices

Sautee the diced onion, green pepper and garlic with olive oil until soft/translucent/smells great.

Add tomatoes and about half a can of water.

Let simmer.

Add beans (remember to rinse and drain)

Spices I used: Cumin, Paprika, Brown Sugar, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Sea Salt.

Add dash of red sauce (If you have it or perhaps tomato paste)

Let simmer and heat throughout.

I served this with oven roasted mini new potatoes.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I made zucchini bread yesterday that doesn't include butter or eggs. It's really good and make two loaves.

Kingman's Vegan Zucchini Bread - All Recipes

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
simple dessert/snack i made the other night, based on an indian cookie called a goja, which is fried dough in sugar syrup with cardamom -

cardamom kettle corn

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom seeds, roughly crushed
1/3 cup popcorn
a pinch of salt, optional

put everything in a pan (or stovetop popcorn maker) over medium-high heat. cover and shake continually until the popping slows down. remove from heat, sprinkle with a little salt if using, toss, let cool, and serve.

i might try it with a less crazy amount of oil next time; this time i just used the kettle corn recipe that came with my whirly pop.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Wow, that sounds great groar. I can try it with agave syrup (don't have/use processed sugar), but I've got to go shopping for the cardamom seeds. Oil - what kind of oil did you use? I'd think live oil would be too heavy.

BTW, what's a whirly pop????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food