Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 AM

261 posts, read 496,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Vegan stir fry...
Nice! ...that would make a nice enlargedd print for the kitchen wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 AM

261 posts, read 496,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A great and easy vegetarian recipe
Lisa’s Mini Pot Pies
I'm curious enough to try this, but concerned the coconut milk will make it too sweet. I typically drink almond or soy milk unsweetened. Recently tried coconut milk and it was syrupy sweet. Can't imagine a savory sauce with it.

The pies look great though. Will you please let me know about the sweetness level of the sauce?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Default Creamy Chickpea Soup With Lemon & Parsley

This a quick and easy soup that I made for lunch today. You can have a pot of soup in about 30 minutes including minimal prep, just a quick scrub and chop of a few veggies. I had beans left over from making hummus, but you can use canned ones if you prefer. The recipe is from Kristin Doyle's Therapeutic Chef cookbook.

1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
6 garlic cloves, pressed
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbs white wine (may substitute water)
6 cups vegetable broth
3 cups cooked garbanzo beans, or 2 cans, drained
1/2 cup tahini
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 cups chopped arugula, sorrel or spinach (I used arugula & spinach)
1 tsp unrefined sea salt
pinch cayenne
1 bunch parsley, minced
3 green onions, chopped

Cook the onion, carrot celery and garlic in the olive oil in a large pot for five minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Add the cumin, stir to coat for 30 seconds then add the wine to deglaze the pan. Now add the vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Next add the garbanzo beans and simmer another 5 minutes. Whisk the tahini and the lemon juice together in a small bowl, adding water if necessary to make smooth. Stir this back into the stew until well combined. Now add the arugula/spinach, salt and cayenne. Simmer for 1 minute then turn off heat. Taste for seasoning and garnish with parsley and green onion.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:51 PM

20 posts, read 76,311 times
one of my recipe

peanut bar (pappu chekkalu)
How many of you munch on energy bars or other type of instant energy foods? this is a healthy alternative to all those bars ,in fact not an alternative but good choice.

non messy , healthy and a very simple snack. Good for kids as a side snack in their lunch boxes.

Two main ingredients are
1.Peanuts
2.Jaggery ( google it..)

Most people think that eating Peanuts will increase their weight. But this is not completely true. In fact eating nuts lowers risk of weight gain. Peanuts are a very good source of monounsaturated fats ,healthy for heart.
This is good for new moms as it boosts milk supply

Another star ingredient is jaggery ,provides instant energy. good source of iron.It is rich in minerals and salts, vitamins and even contains some fibre, whereas sugar, being highly refined, lacks these things. The darker the jaggery in color, the richer it is in mineral content (particularly iron content) and better it is for health.Always buy unadulterated jaggary.

ingredients:
2 cups peanuts
1.5 cup jaggery grated
elachi /cardamon powder(optional)
1 tsp ghee (see here how to prepare ghee )
if you don't have ghee ,use oil

Process:
heat a wide pan and add peanuts ,no need to add any oil.
Just roast them till rawness is gone.stir them continuously ,so that they don't get burnt.
let them cool and then remove the skin ,keep them aside

Preparing jaggery sauce:
add grated jaggery and 1/2 cup water on thick bottom pan.

let it boil .Allow the jaggery to melt and cook until the syrup is sticky
to test it take a small spoon full of this and add to water.. you will should see that it forms a soild
if not let it boil for some more time till you get texture like this

This is very important to get this texture.so be patient

now add peanuts and cardamon powder to this and mix well.

on a pan rub some ghee and pour this mixture and spread evenly.

let it cool.

once it is completely cooled you can break it and transfer it to a airtight container.

Tip: to get this out of the plate ,warm the plate/pan lightly and invert it on a paper.
take care not to over heat it.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM

50,117 posts, read 63,506,690 times
Zucchini Tomato Bake

1 1/2 lbs zucchini, sliced 1/4" thick
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp oregano
dash pepper
1/4 c olive oil
1 c sour cream
2 large tomatoes
1/2 c parmesan cheeese

Mix flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp oregano. Dredge zucchini slices in flour mixture. Fry in olive oil until brown on both sides. Place zucchini layer into a casserole dish. Top with tomato slices.
Mix sour cream and 1/4 c parmesan, and spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining salt, oregano and parmesan.
Bake 375 until bubbly.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM

23,915 posts, read 32,232,721 times
Vegan Lasagna

1 package of no-boil lasagna noodles
1 package extra firm tofu pressed and drained
8 oz cooked lentils
8 oz Nate's meat balls (If Nate's is not available use twice the amount of lentils)
one package frozen chopped spinach, drained.
2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce
1 package Daiya cheese or regular cheese if you wish. (mozzarella type)
garlic powder, basil, oregano, nut meg and cinnamon. (trust me on those last two - they add a warm and hearty touch to the dish)
2 Tbs Earth balance or olive oil

pre heat oven to 355
saute mashed tofu, mashed lentils, meatballs and spices to taste in Earth Balance

add drained spinach. Let mixture simmer

add tomato sauce one jar to mixture.

pour one third of the second jar of tomato sauce in a large casserole dish

Layer with noodles

Add lentil mixture

add sauce and Daiya or cheese.

repeat.

Cover with for and bake for one hour.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,593,756 times
I love lentils. I buy them in ready-to-eat steamed bricks at Trader Joe's. I've tried to make my own but fail, although maybe I need to try Dupuy lentils instead.

Lentil Friday

3 handfuls powerhouse green mix (spinach, baby kale, and baby mustard greens)
1 brick of TJ's steamed lentils - just crumble them out of the package into the bowl
2 handfuls fresh green beans, trimmed and sliced into 1" - 2" pieces
6 dried figs, chopped (I use the kitchen shears, trim off the tough end, and slice them in quarters)
1 handful shredded carrots
Your favorite sweet/tangy vinegar dressing

Dump everything except the dressing into a large bowl. A handful or so of grape tomatoes, halved, would go nicely too. Use tongs to mix everything well. Drizzle with dressing, 3 to 4 tbsp, and mix again. The greens are strong, so a sharp dressing with some sweetness is a nice balance. I used TJ's pear vinaigrette, but a red wine vinaigrette would be good too. Makes four main dish salads.

Have any of you made salad dressing from Penzey's Raspberry Enlightenment? I like that it's spicy but never know what to do about it.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,799,187 times
Just saw this on the "Mr. Food" segment of the local news and don't have the exact amounts, sorry:

Couscous salad:

Fix couscous as directed on package, toss with a dash of olive oil and diced summer veggies (tomatoes, leeks, etc.) and, if desired, small chunks of feta cheese.

It looked delicious!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,677,110 times
A couple of my specialty apple desserts:

Charoses (not just for Passover anymore!) - makes 8 servings - VEGAN FRIENDLY

1. shred 3 Macintosh and 2 big Granny Smith apples, into a strainer with a bowl underneath it. Press gently with your hands just to strain off -some- of the juice. Drink the fresh-pressed apple cider and transfer the shredded apples to the empty bowl.
2. squeeze 1/4 of a lemon over the apples, mix briskly (this just helps delay oxidation but doesn't prevent it)
3. add an 8-ounce package of shelled walnut pieces (or break up some halves by rolling over the unopened package with a rolling pin a few times)
4. add a healthy few splashes of Manischewitz Concord Grape passover wine (you can get it any time of year)
5. add a teaspoon of fresh finely-ground cinnamon stick

Serve in individual pudding cups with spoons.

Apple Crisp - VEGETARIAN BUT NOT VEGAN FRIENDLY - CONTAINS DAIRY

Oven temp 350, use a glass baking dish, not metal. *edited to add: You can also use a 9" pie tin but glass baking dishes turn out the best results)

Crisp top - stir together:
1/2 stick regular full-fat, lightly salted butter, melted into liquid
1.5 cups of regular oats (not quick-oats or steel-milled)
1/3 cup firmly-packed *dark* brown sugar
1/4 cup flour (wheat, can be bleached or unbleached, regular or spelt)
1 teaspoon fresh finely ground cinnamon stick

Layer 6-8 apples, alternating with granny smith on the bottom, then macintosh, in the baking dish. Start with the Granny Smith because otherwise the bottom turns to mush - Macs are very sugary and soft.

Sprinkle 1/4 lemon over the top layer
Spread the crisp mix over the apples
Bake for around 20 minutes or until the crisp starts to change color -after- bubbling.

Serves 5-10 people depending on how much your guests enjoy it. Can *add* more brown sugar but don't use any less than 1/3 cup, otherwise the crisp won't become crisp.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,677,435 times
Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad | Chickpea Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Rice Noodles With Asian Pesto - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1059589.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food