Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,445,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
No offense, Pampered, but that sounds gross.

I can cook it with meat, can't I? Will the vegetarian gods destroy my house if I do? I didn't buy it because I don't want to eat meat. I was just curious.
When I find a recipe I consider "gross" I don't post to that effect, although I certainly could, just like you did. And I especially wouldn't do it when people are just trying to share.

If I read about "deep fried [insert meat choice]" what's the point of my posting about how "gross" it is? Especially, when the thread is about meat and I chose to read it.

I don't know why people think Oscar Wilde is alive and well and lives in their keyboard. No offense ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,635,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Well, you CAN, but why? Tofu isn't generally eaten as a complement to meat, it's used as a high-quality protein source in place of meat.
in the west, yes. but in asia, where the vast majority of tofu is eaten, tofu is often used as the main protein and meat is used as a flavoring.

examples:

Mapo doufu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (tofu with ground pork on top - has often tripped up vegetarians in u.s. chinese restaurants)

banh mi, the vietnamese sandwich, often comes with tofu & crumbled pork sausage together.

practically every japanese tofu dish at least has fish in it in some form (bonito, broth, or straight up fish).

and as f_m mentioned, korean cuisine has a lot of meat & tofu combinations.

pretty much any easy asian cusine has a tradition of flavoring or combining tofu with meat. tofu is just not considered an exclusively vegetarian thing there, it's just another protein, one that's cheap & plentiful.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 AM

oh and jill, as illustrated above you can definitely cook it with meat. you could cube it up and put it in an asian meat-based soup, for example. but if that's what you want to do, the vegetarian forum probably isn't the best place to ask.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,165,453 times
All, JillBoBill originally posted this thread in the Food and Drink forum, not the Vegetarian one, so her questions aren't inappropriate. You know what happens when one brings up tofu in the F&D forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...uses-tofu.html

Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 AM

ah, i didn't realize that. that makes sense.

it is a shame that people have this blind hatred of tofu & other "meat substitutes" (if they've even heard of anything other than tofu). we've all had bland, poorly prepared tofu, but that's not the way it has to be.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 PM

643 posts, read 2,047,821 times
I doubt that tofu is gross. In fact, I'm sure it can be as delicious if not more so than a lot of other things. Why would I have bought it otherwise?

I'm just looking for an idea of what to expect.

For example, if I crack the container open and only use half of it - can I save the other half in a ziplock baggie and use it later? Or will it get all funky?

How long will it last after it's been cooked?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-24-2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: No one's being rude to you.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,165,453 times
JillBoBill, I'm sorry for the misunderstandings that happened in this forum. I hope that folks here can get reset and can give you the answers you're seeking. I remember that you originally posted this thread in the Food and Drink forum and it got moved here.

I don't know the answer about storage of unused portions. If there are directions on the package, it might be there. I know that I have avoided that issue by always using a whole package. I remember something about storing the unused portion in water and changing the water every day. Yikes, seemed like too much hassle to me Anyone else have experience with this?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,796,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
in the west, yes. but in asia, where the vast majority of tofu is eaten, tofu is often used as the main protein and meat is used as a flavoring.
Unfortunately, that's not the first (nor the last) time I've been wrong about something .....

Thanks for clarifying!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
ah, i didn't realize that. that makes sense.

it is a shame that people have this blind hatred of tofu & other "meat substitutes" (if they've even heard of anything other than tofu). we've all had bland, poorly prepared tofu, but that's not the way it has to be.
I was kind of wondering why it was in this category. It's just beans, not sure why people get worked up over it. Kind of like how gelatin is "good" to people, but before it became gelatin it was something else.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,351,129 times
Quote:
I doubt that tofu is gross. In fact, I'm sure it can be as delicious if not more so than a lot of other things. Why would I have bought it otherwise?

I'm just looking for an idea of what to expect.
At least you are open minded to try it. Too bad the original posting wasn't successful in getting useful replies.

Quote:
For example, if I crack the container open and only use half of it - can I save the other half in a ziplock baggie and use it later? Or will it get all funky?

How long will it last after it's been cooked?
Honestly, I think the seasoned ground beef and small tofu cubes might be the easiest to try. This is not too unlike MaPo Tofu, which is red chili pepper spiced soft tofu with ground pork and things like mushrooms.

Generally you are supposed to keep the used part submerged in water and change the water daily. I think you can just cover it, it doesn't need to be sealed.

It lasts quite a while after being "cooked", it is just beans and salt, so however long beans might normally last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food