U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:14 PM

641 posts, read 1,776,710 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if this was a recipe or if it was a vegetarian/vegan thing (it IS tofu, but they're not the only ones who eat tofu, so...).

I went to a local whole foods market today for shiggles and, for some reason, bought some firm tofu in a little white container. I've never had tofu before - except once we had tofurkey at a Thanksgiving to humor an at-the-time-vegetarian friend of ours.

What do I do with it? What's YUMMY (I have a simple preference in taste)? Can I make hamburger helper, but sub the hamburger with tofu-- lol, nevermind, that sounds really gross.

Also, I really HATE cooking (but I'm curious!), so the least amount of dishes (< 1) and prep time is better.

Thanks, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM

288 posts, read 809,069 times
One of my favorite tofu dishes:

Ma Po Tofu - works best w/ soft tofu

Here's an easy recipe if you don't feel like cooking:
1. Dice tofu into 2cm cubes. Works best w/ firm tofu.
2. Chop 1 large garlic clove, scallions, add to soy sauce.
3. Put tofu cubes into a small bowl, pour the soy sauce mix on top.
4. Refrigerate for 15-30min and serve chilled.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 PM

914 posts, read 3,954,231 times
If I weren't allergic to soy, I would take tofu cubes, pan fry them, and make a yummy vietnamese sandwich out of them! Or put them in hot and sour soup! (Although, if you aren't much for cooking, hot and sour might be a little more time in the kitchen than you are looking for!)

Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM

812 posts, read 2,116,244 times
actually fried firm tofu is pretty good and just dip it in some soy sauce. easy and quick

Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,721,902 times
tofu can be delicious, but you have to flavor it with stuff.

i like to freeze and then thaw it and squeeze out as much water as possible - it gets a really firm texture and soaks up marinades when you do that.

i love this recipe for chili lime tofu from the veganyumyum blog - she doesn't mention using frozen tofu but i prefer it that way.

1 block tofu

3 Tbs Sugar
3 Tbs Reduced Sodium Tamari (or soy sauce)
1 3/4 Tbs Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 Zest of the Lime
1/2 tsp Red Chili Flakes (or 1-2 fresh hot chilies, minced)
1 Clove Garlic, pressed, optional
1/4 tsp Salt
4 Mint Leaves, chiffonaded

mix all the sauce ingredients together (everything but the tofu).

cut the tofu up. directions on how to cut it into cool little triangles are in the original blog post: VeganYumYum Sweet Chili Lime Tofu with Wok Steamed Collards and Quinoa

heat up a non-stick pan or well-seasoned cast iron pan.

add the tofu in a single layer to the pan and cook til browned on both sides. you don't need oil!

add the sauce, stir to coat the tofu, then turn off the heat. the sauce should form a glaze. if it doesn't, turn the heat on again til it does.

this is my husband's all-time favorite way to have tofu. the recipe on the blog has more detail and suggestions for side dishes to go with it.

another thing i like to do with tofu is make tofu ricotta for lasagna - you wouldn't use tofu that had been frozen for this. you just smash it up with some oil (maybe 1/8 cup), some oregano (a tablespoon?), some salt, and a little of the tomato sauce you're using in the lasagna. amounts are approximate cause i kinda play it by ear. i also like to add a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast, but not everyone has that as a staple in their pantry!

you can mess around with it to get the flavor and texture you want. i like to make it with 1 package of firm regular tofu and 1 package of firm silken tofu.

just use it as you would use ricotta in lasagna. i'm vegan so i use it in place of cheese, but there's no reason you couldn't use it in conjunction with mozzarella.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,721,902 times
oh another nice way to have tofu is chunks in mac & cheese. again, i would use firm or extra firm tofu that hasn't been frozen for this. i make a vegan mac & cheese that is seriously awesome (if not exactly identical to real mac & cheese). i can post the recipe if anyone's interested.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,532,687 times
I would agree with a soy sauce based stir fry using mushrooms and other things like onion and perhaps some bell peppers. I think the simplest thing is cubed firm tofu with tomatoes and Italian spices, but it depends on if you like tomatoes. Firm tofu easily absorbs flavors such as from tomato juices or soy sauce. I found that Hoisin sauce or soy paste works pretty well too in place of soy sauce.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 PM

641 posts, read 1,776,710 times
Hmm, this is all really interesting.

I didn't know you could eat it 'raw'. I also didn't know vegans actually consumed food. I thought they lived on air and well-wishes. (I kid)

I'll have to find something good to do with it.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,200,090 times
I like it fried and then I use it in thin strips in veggie sushi.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 8,160,110 times
In Chinese restaurant's it's called "bean curd". You've probably seen dishes with that on the menu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food