U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,341 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many older vegetarians look older than their years, ie wrinkled and have course, grey hair. Perhaps it is just not having any extra body fat to plump things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 AM

127 posts, read 317,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I have noticed that many older vegetarians look older than their years, ie wrinkled and have course, grey hair. Perhaps it is just not having any extra body fat to plump things up.
Why on earth would you think that vegetarians don't have any extra body fat?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,976,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I am 70 and have been a vegetarian for about 40 years.
My skin is not wrinkled.
My facial hair is grey.
The hair on my head is still it's original dark color, with a little sprinkling of grey.
As far as "extra body fat to plump things up"-
I have plenty of that.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,898,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I am 70 and have been a vegetarian for about 40 years.
My skin is not wrinkled.
My facial hair is grey.
The hair on my head is still it's original dark color, with a little sprinkling of grey.
As far as "extra body fat to plump things up"-
I have plenty of that.
You're 70 and have no wrinkles?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,976,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
You're 70 and have no wrinkles?
That's right.

I have arthritis and worn out joints, but no wrinkles on my face or anywhere else.
And no dry, sagging skin that a lot of old geezers get.

I don't know if it has anything to do with a vegetarian diet though.

It's probably due more to genetics and the fact that I never took hot, soapy showers that I always believed stripped the body and hair of essential oils.

I always take barely warm showers with minimum use of mild soap and shampoo.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Dr. Neal Bernard and Dr. Gabriel Cousens are reversing Type II diabetes by putting patients on low-fat, vegan diets...

These findings were proven in a study underwritten by the NIH in 2003.

I guess this would make these vegans more healthy than their non-vegan diabetic counterparts.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,107,873 times
I don't like generalizations.
Vegetarians aren't somehow more healthier because they're vegetarians. I have a vegetarian friend whose doctor told him he needed to lose 25 pounds.

My girlfriend is vegetarian but I think she's at a high risk for diabetes because she is inactive and she doesn't eat right. I hardly ever see her eating fruits and vegetables. It's mainly carbs and junk food (candy, fruit snacks, etc).

Some studies have shown that vegetarians tend to exercise more than the average person. That might have an effect on studies that shown all these positive health outcomes to being a vegetarian.

I'm fine with eating meat and as long as you don't bash me for it, we're cool. I don't bash vegetarians and they shouldn't bash me.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM

3,421 posts, read 3,185,157 times
Agree that that are too many variables to state whether vegetarians or meat eaters are more healthy. A lot depends on how you define healthy, and other lifestyle factors. I don't eat any red meat or poultry, but do eat fish and some dairy. Most of my calories come from fresh veggies and fruit, whole grains, nuts and seeds. That said I do drink wine almost daily and spent years in the sun with little sunscreen. So, although I exercise daily and eat a fairly nutritous diet, I look older than my years. A lot of health risks associated with a poor diet include increased cancer risks, exposure to excessive hormones and toxic chemicals so, although you may have decent findings on a physical exam, there could still be considerable molecular damage due to diet not detectable by common lab tests. I've also known many vegetarians who smoke so, simply being vegetarian doesn't necessarily correlate with a healthful lifestyle.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Excellent point raised above...there are all types of vegan-vegetarian diets--some are plant-based with whole grains and some fruits, and some are junk-food, dairy (if non-vegan) and white flour-based...so maybe this question is too broad-based to even ask without defining the type of vegetarian/vegan diet that's being eaten...

My cousin's a vegetarian but his largest food group seems to be ice-cream, butter and cheese so I doubt he's overly healthy...

The diabetes reversal diet is low-fat and plant-based, by the way...

Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,107,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Agree that that are too many variables to state whether vegetarians or meat eaters are more healthy. A lot depends on how you define healthy, and other lifestyle factors. I don't eat any red meat or poultry, but do eat fish and some dairy. Most of my calories come from fresh veggies and fruit, whole grains, nuts and seeds. That said I do drink wine almost daily and spent years in the sun with little sunscreen. So, although I exercise daily and eat a fairly nutritous diet, I look older than my years. A lot of health risks associated with a poor diet include increased cancer risks, exposure to excessive hormones and toxic chemicals so, although you may have decent findings on a physical exam, there could still be considerable molecular damage due to diet not detectable by common lab tests. I've also known many vegetarians who smoke so, simply being vegetarian doesn't necessarily correlate with a healthful lifestyle.
The problem with many people is that they eat TOO much meat.
I don't think there is anything wrong with meat in general but studies have shown Americans eat TOO much meat.

Anyone can have a poor diet, whether you are a vegetarian or someone who consumes meat. Plus even with the "perfect diet," if you don't exercise, you're in a world of trouble.

I like to think of my girlfriend as a junk food vegetarian. She has all these health issues and I keep telling her if she ate better, she'd feel better.

I really like this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food