U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times

Advertisements

This IS an excellent topic! Seems we've established that junk food diets can be vegetarian or omnivorian...

It would be interesting to re-phrase the original question to be:

Given the same amount of exercise and being non-smokers and other lifestyle variables being the same, are plant & whole grain-based vegetarians/vegans (no dairy) healthier than those eating otherwise?

Any studies been done on this, do you suppose??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,109,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
This IS an excellent topic! Seems we've established that junk food diets can be vegetarian or omnivorian...

It would be interesting to re-phrase the original question to be:

Given the same amount of exercise and being non-smokers and other lifestyle variables being the same, are plant & whole grain-based vegetarians/vegans (no dairy) healthier than those eating otherwise?

Yeah, I bet vegetarians would be healthier given the same amount of exercise and provided they don't smoke. Of course you would have to compare them to people who eat the right amount of meat (which is a rare thing).

Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM

I wonder if eating 'whole' foods without additives is also key to good health. The French traditionally eat lots of butter but much of their food has been pretty pure and organic instead of hormone-laced and with mega-additives, preservatives and food colorings.

Don't know about your view of soft drinks but from what I've read,they're pretty much sweet poison whether made with HFCS, real sugar or artificially sweetened. Is it possible to be/stay healthy while drinking these acidic and chemically-produced liquids?

I know when I gave them up, all my digestive and acid reflux problems disappeared. My skin looked better, too.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,277,190 times
Quote:
I wonder if eating 'whole' foods without additives is also key to good health. The French traditionally eat lots of butter but much of their food has been pretty pure and organic instead of hormone-laced and with mega-additives, preservatives and food colorings.

Don't know about your view of soft drinks but from what I've read,they're pretty much sweet poison whether made with HFCS, real sugar or artificially sweetened. Is it possible to be/stay healthy while drinking these acidic and chemically-produced liquids?

I know when I gave them up, all my digestive and acid reflux problems disappeared. My skin looked better, too.
You can make your own soda (softdrinks) that's a bit healthier using natural ingredients but it's still really not great for you to drink a lot of it...I quit drinking it years ago. I have less headaches since I quit it. Still have acid reflux issues now and then though but it runs in my family and I really like things like apple cider, orange juice, chili...I can mostly control it if I watch how much of that acidic stuff I eat/drink.

Getting away from the chemicals will definately improve one's health...

Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,109,147 times
Quote:

I was telling my mom today how much better organic meat would be better for us.
She just doesn't want to pay the extra cost and I can't blame her.

When I feel like making the effort, I will go to a different grocery store and I will buy organic meat. When I'm older and have more disposable income, I'll buy more organic (& local) meat.

As far as soft drinks go, I try to stay away from those as much as I can. I have them less than 10 times in a year and most of the time when I drink it, I'm at school and have low blood sugar.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,373,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
than meat eaters? Lets include people who do a low carb diet. I have done a low carb diet for over three years , never cheated and then got scared had my blood work done, doctor said it was never better!! In otherwords I was really healthy at age 43.

I am not trying to start a flame war, preach, or be cruel. I am very open minded. Right now I am off a low carb diet, still feel great and am very organic now and more into vegan lifestyle. So I have switched back and fourth at times.

Are Vegitarians healthier than meat eaters?

Thanks you all!!! Marilyn
I would be highly skeptical if my doctor ran some tests and told me that I was really healthy. LOL Doctors are only trained in sickness. I don't think they could tell a healthy person if they bit them on the nose.

That having been said. Yes, I think that vegetarians and vegans are healthier with one qualification. As long as the vegetarian and vegan foods they eat are NATURAL and UNPROCESSED.

A healthy person should be able to work for several hours of hard labor, or walk (or run) several miles without tiring. They should not have any pain or discomfort. They should sleep well, have a good appetite, good elimination and above all else - NOT GET SICK. Very few people fall into this category.

Unfortunately, conventional medicine has reduced the concept of health to a bunch of meaningless numbers on piece of paper.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Excellent points by Branson above on what constitutes a healthy person.

It's certainly NOT a number on a scale (what if someone's slender because they smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day or have a wasting disease like TB or cancer??) so it's not how one appears, or one's weight.

Absence of pain and aches, vim & vigor, an optimistic outlook, and freedom from illness are what make a healthy person.

Too often, we've come to measure healthy by body size, and it just isn't the case. Slender can be healthy--or not..as can being 20 pounds or so more above ideal weight...

Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM

37,139 posts, read 45,664,410 times
I think perhaps vegetarians could be healthier than meat eaters..physically. However, I think we meat eaters think of you as just a little weird.
Then again, if I were a vegetarian, I would probably think of meat eaters as a bunch of big fat people with clogged arteries.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,100,705 times
I know that I have a lot more energy with my vegetarian diet. I save $ by not eating flesh foods. A fat bank account is far better than high cholesterol.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,373,205 times
Quote:

I believe that they would be healthier. I think that eating meat is, for the most part, an unnatural adaption. I believe it has been shown that dairy produces mucus in excess which interferes with digestion, enzymes and other bodily functions.

However, I don't believe that any official study has been done on the comparisons. You see, nobody really can profit from the results, so there is no motivation to do it. Studies, usually result in money in someone's pocket (medicine, big pharma, etc.,).

There is a ton and half of anecdotal evidence though, which although truthful, is not scientific.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food