U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,153,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
However, I think we meat eaters think of you as just a little weird.
Yeah, we get that a lot .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,278,238 times
Quote:
However, I think we meat eaters think of you as just a little weird.
Why's that? Do you have a logical, non-sarcastic explanation for that belief?

The only incessant whining and name calling on this forum has been from meat eaters, and extremely ignorant foolish ones at that. I suppose calling other people a "little weird" goes over if one's supportive audience is big enough. After all when you get lots of atta-boy reps and cute little icons ~ -how could you be off-base?

The only prejudice or name-calling of vegetarians I have ever encountered has been on this forum. But then it's a very easy to say something that one wouldn't dare to say to a person's face. Look at your own participation in threads...how funny would you think it, if "we" were to respond in kind?

And, conversely, I think of how meat-eaters ramble on about how you love animals, kitty cats and dogs,etc as extremely hypocritical. Half or more of the crap food you feed your animals comes from horses, shelter dogs and cats, strays, - throwaway "pets."

Not to mention, do you really know what kind of "meat" you are eating when you buy from a national chain store?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Why's that? Do you have a logical, non-sarcastic explanation for that belief?

The only incessant whining and name calling on this forum has been from meat eaters, and extremely ignorant foolish ones at that. I suppose calling other people a "little weird" goes over if one's supportive audience is big enough. After all when you get lots of atta-boy reps and cute little icons ~ -how could you be off-base?

The only prejudice or name-calling of vegetarians I have ever encountered has been on this forum. But then it's a very easy to say something that one wouldn't dare to say to a person's face. Look at your own participation in threads...how funny would you think it, if "we" were to respond in kind?
This reminds me of a story I heard about a Japanese experiment that consisted of gradually feeding progressively larger quantities of raw meat to gorillas under controlled conditions and observing changes in behavior. The relatively docile creatures who had never exhibited any hostility toward other members of their group became VERY aggressive, even homicidal after adjusting to the unnatural diet. It was very telling and very frightening whrn you compare their behavior to human behavior.

20yrsinbranson

Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,112,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This reminds me of a story I heard about a Japanese experiment that consisted of gradually feeding progressively larger quantities of raw meat to gorillas under controlled conditions and observing changes in behavior. The relatively docile creatures who had never exhibited any hostility toward other members of their group became VERY aggressive, even homicidal after adjusting to the unnatural diet. It was very telling and very frightening whrn you compare their behavior to human behavior.

20yrsinbranson
It makes perfect sense. I didn't know about that but meat has too much protein, it has fat, it has hormones, it's a dead animal... It sound very violent in itself.

For anyone thinking a vegan diet cannot satisfy daily requirements, I suggest the book Vegan Nutrition by Gill Langley.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,420,332 times
http://news.haverford.edu/blogs/cpgc...in-cartoon.gif

Nuff said!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-15-2009 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Potential copyright issues -- please post a link only. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
Quote:
I think perhaps vegetarians could be healthier than meat eaters..physically. However, I think we meat eaters think of you as just a little weird.
Then again, if I were a vegetarian, I would probably think of meat eaters as a bunch of big fat people with clogged arteries.
I'm a recent transfer from meat eater to lacto-ovo vegetarian. I used to think that vegetarians were people who had their own reasons for choosing what they ate, and while I didn't always agree, I respected that.

I just chose to switch, for a few personal reasons, and I have found that so far, it's turned out to be something really good for me.

Not every meat eater is fat. Not every meat eater has clogged arteries. Just like not every vegetarian is weird. Not every vegetarian is a slim healthy person.

Just had to chime in.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalin View Post
I'm a recent transfer from meat eater to lacto-ovo vegetarian. I used to think that vegetarians were people who had their own reasons for choosing what they ate, and while I didn't always agree, I respected that.

I just chose to switch, for a few personal reasons, and I have found that so far, it's turned out to be something really good for me.

Not every meat eater is fat. Not every meat eater has clogged arteries. Just like not every vegetarian is weird. Not every vegetarian is a slim healthy person.

Just had to chime in.
Glad to have you chime in. Chime in more. That's what we've been saying all along.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,280,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinbranson
I don't think that would apply to meat eating, but maybe to all the chemical, artificial garbage being eaten today perhaps. The Inuit were generally quite peaceful and ate primarily meat and fish...eating meat and fish is not unnatural; eating food pumped full of preservatives, MSG and God knows what else is...and plenty of non-meat foods fit in this category.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,088,655 times
I've been a vegetarian since I was 8-years-old (I'm 35 now) and a vegan for the last few years. I know, or know of, many vegetarians who have terrible, unhealthy diets. They eat lots of processed and genetically modified crap, consume large quantities of saturated and trans fats, and they make no effort to eat a wide variety of whole grains, fruits and veggies to ensure that they're getting all of the nutrients that a healthy body requires. A lunch of a grilled soy cheese sandwich on white bread, condensed tomato soup, potato chips, and a can of soda can be considered vegetarian. And, it's all junk. A lot of the vegetarian frozen meals that you can buy are marketed as a quick and easy healthy alternative; but, in addition to containing many highly processed ingredients, they're loaded with fat, cholesterol and sodium.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of vegetarians honestly believe that they are healthier just by virtue of not eating meat. They don't think enough about what they are eating, or about how much exercise they get.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I've been a vegetarian since I was 8-years-old (I'm 35 now) and a vegan for the last few years.
Hey, you deserve a great big congratulations for deciding something like that at 8 years old! I'm really impressed ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food