U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,278,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
...eating food pumped full of preservatives, MSG and God knows what else is...and plenty of non-meat foods fit in this category.
yes, everything except coconut cake and vegan rice krispies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,088,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Hey, you deserve a great big congratulations for deciding something like that at 8 years old! I'm really impressed ~
We moved next door to a farm and spent a lot of time with the animals. Being an 8yo girl, I couldn't stand the thought of eating them. It kind of grew from there. I think my parents thought it was a phase, but they were supportive of my decision, even then when it was probably a bit of a hassle for my mom's meal planning.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,747,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think we meat eaters think of you as just a little weird
I noticed this evening that there is a discussion about roast suckling pig over on the "regular food forum" (warning graphic image):

Do you find roasted suckling pig disturbing?

What I find odd, or weird if you will, are meat eaters who want to eat animals, but are put off by heads and/or eyes.

The practice of consuming flesh, but pretending it doesn't come from an animal is weird to me.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,153,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
What I find odd, or weird if you will, are meat eaters who want to eat animals, but are put off by heads and/or eyes.
Or that it's fine to eat some animals, but not others. Accompanying that is the idea that people in other cultures who (for example) eat dog or horse are also weird.

Quote:
The practice of consuming flesh, but pretending it doesn't come from an animal is weird to me.
I agree.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,278,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Or that it's fine to eat some animals, but not others. Accompanying that is the idea that people in other cultures who (for example) eat dog or horse are also weird.I agree.
I agree with plaidmom as well. People who make snide comments about how "us meat eaters find you [vegetarians] weird" strike me as the most delusional type of hypocrite. That kind of attitude makes ridicule and snarky comments acceptable in their minds. If they didn't have an audience, the comments would'nt be made.

I had a friend who had to put down one of her best barrel racers...she cried for weeks over that horse, and was literally wracked with grief. But lo and behold, a few years later there they are on a cruise chowing down on horse flesh. Maybe it was her horse, frozen for just such a special occasion. I guess in the minds of people who thinks vegetarians are "weird" would be alright with saying..."bon appetit!"- that's some good eatin' ya got there.

Separate a baby pig from a baby dog. Especially when pigs are much smarter than dogs. that's part of the delusion that people use to be able to separate the two....I love my cat, but maybe my SE Asian neighbor needs it for stew. After all that's the culture is some parts of the world.

I find meat-eaters who eat animal flesh but love their little kitty cats to death are not weird, but extremely common hypocrites. JMO, folks.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,280,061 times
Quote:
I noticed this evening that there is a discussion about roast suckling pig over on the "regular food forum" (warning graphic image):

Do you find roasted suckling pig disturbing?

Well I wasn't a participant in that thread, but...I avoid brains of any animal for disease reasons (even haven't done any brain tanning of deer hides in quite some time). I wouldn't personally cook an animal with the head still attached. I've done squirrels before with the heads on over a fire but not anymore.

Eyes don't taste good. I throw them into some compost or just let the wildlife have them...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 AM

627 posts, read 1,864,582 times
From the American Dietetic Association:

Quote:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.
"Longevity: Strong Evidence Supporting Plant-Based Diet Healthiness"
Quote:
A 1976-1988 study of 34,000 Seventh-Day Adventists showed that vegetarians live seven years longer than meat eaters and vegans live eight years longer than meat eaters. But it's not just years; research also shows evidence of thirteen additional healthy years of life for vegetarians – animal products impede immune system, decrease energy, speed up cognitive and sexual dysfunction, and clog arteries.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM

809 posts, read 1,644,615 times
I don't think so...I KNOW Vegans and Vegetarians are healthier. I'm a vegan convert .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food