U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,763,740 times

Advertisements

than meat eaters? Lets include people who do a low carb diet. I have done a low carb diet for over three years , never cheated and then got scared had my blood work done, doctor said it was never better!! In otherwords I was really healthy at age 43.

I am not trying to start a flame war, preach, or be cruel. I am very open minded. Right now I am off a low carb diet, still feel great and am very organic now and more into vegan lifestyle. So I have switched back and fourth at times.

Are Vegitarians healthier than meat eaters?

Thanks you all!!! Marilyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:35 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,198,911 times
No, not particularly, in my opinion. I think we like to think we are.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM

59 posts, read 113,651 times
I think so. I usually don't get the flu when everyone else around me does.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,744,787 times
Quote:
Are Vegitarians healthier than meat eaters?
I've met unhealthy vegetarians. I've also met healthy meat eaters.

Overall, in the adult population of the U.S., I would guess that vegetarians are healthier. It's not so much the diet, but the fact that they have to think about what they eat. We cannot just pull through Micky D's when we get hungry. We generally consume more whole grains, fiber, and fruits and vegetables.

People on specific "diets" are also paying attention to what they eat. Correct me if I am wrong, but low-carb people focus on veggies and lean meat and fish. No "white stuff" (sugar, flour etc).

Old 11-01-2009, 04:13 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
The winner would be a person who combines a well-rounded, healthy diet with consistent exercise (mental growth and physical exercise), sufficient rest and healthy social interaction. A healthy diet sure as heck does not include stuffing yourself with fifteen different fried meat sources everyday.

No one's got a perfect diet cornered because there are far too many variables. Family history, environmental factors, etc. I believe that vegetarians as a whole have lower cholesterol and a lower risk of diabetes. Also, I have not been sick with the flu in over eight years or so.

I had been eating a raw vegan diet over the summer and have been a vegetarian for well over ten years. I feel well keeping this kind of diet. Like you, my recent blood work testifies that this is a healthful diet for me.

As with some other folks, I have a strong emotional and philosophical reason for being a vegetarian. Feeling healthy is just an added bonus for me.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 AM

5,617 posts, read 13,763,740 times
thank you all for answering and honest with those answers. This was a great help to me!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:10 AM

2,777 posts, read 7,128,560 times
I think nature provides us with most of what we need locally for health. People in northern climes can remain healthier on high protein meat diets with limited carbs and more exercise. Folks closer to the equator can get more varied nutrition form fruits and leafy plants. Our bodies evolved around what was readily available to us and not what is trucked in by freight or processed to an unrecognizable foodstuff.
The most healthy vegetarians I've seen in New England have to depend a lot on exotic fruit, vegetable imports and processed meat substitutes.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,718,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Overall, in the adult population of the U.S., I would guess that vegetarians are healthier. It's not so much the diet, but the fact that they have to think about what they eat. We cannot just pull through Micky D's when we get hungry. We generally consume more whole grains, fiber, and fruits and vegetables.

People on specific "diets" are also paying attention to what they eat. Correct me if I am wrong, but low-carb people focus on veggies and lean meat and fish. No "white stuff" (sugar, flour etc).
i agree with this. i think the jury's out on whether a vegetarian diet is objectively healthier than an omnivorous one, but learning thinking about nutrition, planning your diet, and paying attention to what you eat *does* inherently lead to a healthier diet. i do think it's unhealthy to eat meat and dairy on the level that the average american does, but i think a healthy diet can include those things in moderation.

i think there are other good reasons to go vegan, obviously, but it would be a much better and healthier world if americans would listen to michael pollan - "eat food. not too much. mostly vegetables".

Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 PM

2,777 posts, read 7,128,560 times
O/K. folks. I just got back from my annual physical today...got a very little lecture about weight, but a glowing, gushing accolade for my cholesterol levels and my excellent circulation. Remember me? The meateater! I try to follow a low carb menu for the most part eating leaner meats , but I have an egg, preferably free range organic, every single day. Sometimes two! Some of us are just meant to be carnivores. My siblings that have heart troubles, diabetes, circulation difficulties, they all eat the mainstream processed, breaded, fried, salted, American diet.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:58 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,276,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Remember me? The meateater! []...Some of us are just meant to be carnivores.
Well, it's more likely that some of us are genetically predisposed to low cholesterol rather than meant to eat meant. I have 'this friend', who eats fatty, fried, greasy, crappy meat virtually every meal. He loves white bread. Even fries that. I know, I grew up with him. His overall cholesterol is lower than mine when I was in my 20's. He's always had extremely low cholesterol. His wife told me it was 99 (not sure of the hdl or ldl).

There's just no perfect answer. But congrats on your health! Sounds like you really pay attention to eating well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food