U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 AM

5,127 posts, read 10,242,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

Welcome to Our Family | Wayfare Foods

These folks are in Montana and are very small. Of course, that means that they don't have the money to push their products in national stores. But there's hope! People are still trying to find excellent "we can't call it cheese cheese."
Thanks for posting this!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,194,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I can find we do quite well without eggs by using ground up flax seeds in baking, egg replacer, and instead of scrambled eggs, we now eat scrambled tofu! Milk is easy, use hemp milk or almond mild or organic soymilk. Cheese is harder, I haven't found a good substitute yet. I do use Trader Joe's shredded cheese on Pizza and it tastes ok. Wish they could come up with something! I now use the vegan "pate" spreads instead, based on yeast.
Vegan Yum Yum is a GREAT cookbook, I have made several recipes and you won't miss the dairy at all. Recently made the best vegan scones!

Amazon.com: Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday (9780757313806): Lauren Ulm: Books
She has a great I-phone app as well. You can choose a recipe and even an ingredients list...and shop using it - checking off items as you go.

The app also has the lovely photos!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,873,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
No they don't. A cow can give milk for quite some time in between calves. When I was growing up, our cows certainly were not bred constantly. More like every two or three years, and it wasn't because they quit giving milk, it was because the quality eventually goes down. Hey, just like those other mammals -- humans!

One could argue that it's cruelty to NOT breed the cow every year, because in the wild, that's what they'd be doing.
Absolutely right. There is a reason cows come into heat every 18 days. Most farmers let their cows get pregnant to sustain the herd. The place where I get my (raw) milk does them on a two year cycle. Extra colostrum is kept and frozen and sold to other breeders when they are running short.

For eggs, do NOT buy organic. They are USDA inspected "factory" produced just like non-organic. Find a local farmer who has free range chickens if you want rich, tasty, healthy eggs.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,950,742 times
I, too, am thinking of cutting down on meat (maybe down to 2 times a week only). I can't give it up entirely, but I can certainly cut it down big time. It probably would be healthier to have more "meatless" meals and I can loose weight quicker (not that I really need to, but would love to be 125 lbs again; I'm about 135 now). It would probably help with that, for sure.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I recently made the best vegan scones!
Mmmmm, I had one yesterday. Luckily for me, I live in a city that has more than a few vegan bakeries. It's a blessing and a curse~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I can loose weight quicker (not that I really need to, but would love to be 125 lbs again; I'm about 135 now). It would probably help with that, for sure.
Speak to me, woman! See above response - it's hard for me to lose those extra pounds on account of people keep baking things. What to do...

Old 11-07-2009, 07:56 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,102,494 times
I'm putting on weight because a friend makes the most delicious vegan desserts. It's totally worth it though lol

This said (avoid sweet dessert that's too tasty, vegan or not lol), since I stopped eating meat and dairy my body shape has improved a lot. And my health is much better than it used to (i used to catch a cold very frequently).

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 AM

127 posts, read 316,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I'm putting on weight because a friend makes the most delicious vegan desserts.
Ha, I gained weight when I went vegan because of desserts too! A vegan cupcake book had just come out and I was so excited to make cupcakes for everyone's birthday.

I never get sick either, I had the flu at Christmas two years ago, and that's it. Plus not eating dairy really helped my eczema (skin rash) clear up, I went from daily inflammation to maaaaaaybe a small break out once a month.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:24 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Just saw the HSUS video of the treatment of calves in an organic slaughterhouse. It also referenced organic eggs and dairy farms as being inhumane. I have been buying organic milk and eggs and assUMEd that the chickens and cows were humanely treated. I am now sick and guilt-ridden.
You need to research where your food comes from, any of it, whether it's meat/dairy/egg products for humaneness or fruits/vegetables/nuts for sanitary practices by those harvesting the items (remember those e coli outbreaks and such from vegetables?) and the use of chemicals that will still be in the product you consume. I'm quite familiar with the slaughterhouse you reference, I've been in there. A bit of research would have shown you its history. I knew from first hand experience not to trust any meat from there and it wasn't really what you saw in the video either (didn't see that particular stuff going on but other practices)...but I shouldn't comment further for legal reasons. I do have some skepticism of the "inspector" telling how to get away with illegal acts in that video when the agriculture department had already shut it down previously after inspections (HSUS has been known to get hired and then do something illegal to film). But until it's fully investigated that's speculation. There's some local places I know of that I can rely on for what I don't grow or kill myself.

And take what the HSUS says with a dose of salt, they have the same ideology (but slightly different methods) as PETA.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,194,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You need to research where your food comes from, any of it, whether it's meat/dairy/egg products for humaneness or fruits/vegetables/nuts for sanitary practices by those harvesting the items (remember those e coli outbreaks and such from vegetables?) and the use of chemicals that will still be in the product you consume. I'm quite familiar with the slaughterhouse you reference, I've been in there. A bit of research would have shown you its history. I knew from first hand experience not to trust any meat from there and it wasn't really what you saw in the video either (didn't see that particular stuff going on but other practices)...but I shouldn't comment further for legal reasons. I do have some skepticism of the "inspector" telling how to get away with illegal acts in that video when the agriculture department had already shut it down previously after inspections (HSUS has been known to get hired and then do something illegal to film). But until it's fully investigated that's speculation. There's some local places I know of that I can rely on for what I don't grow or kill myself.

And take what the HSUS says with a dose of salt, they have the same ideology (but slightly different methods) as PETA.
Yes, there was crap on the spinach - crap from the run off of cruel factory farms nearby. Farms where animals **** on each other and themselves, dirty, unsanitary and sad, sad places where crap runs into nearby fields.

The spinach would not have been contaminated had there not been thousands of animals pooping out their toxic feed into a lagoon that overflowed.

Anyway, do you have a link to any of this speculation, I understand you have some sort of legal ties...but anything you can send our way would be helpful.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:09 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Yes, there was crap on the spinach - crap from the run off of cruel factory farms nearby. Farms where animals **** on each other and themselves, dirty, unsanitary and sad, sad places where crap runs into nearby fields.

The spinach would not have been contaminated had there not been thousands of animals pooping out their toxic feed into a lagoon that overflowed.

Anyway, do you have a link to any of this speculation, I understand you have some sort of legal ties...but anything you can send our way would be helpful.
Field workers not having proper bathroom facilities or not washing their hands can cause as many problems as animals being nearby. I remember that lettuce that got many sick (including someone I know) was caused by that. So, like I said, always research where your food comes from, anything you eat...

Scroll down to 1998 and 2000 here (there's other examples from other animal rights groups as well): "Snuff" Films (http://www.furcommission.com/news/newsC7.htm - broken link)

You can do an internet search of the incidents to verify them elsewhere too, if you wish. The lesson of course is to simply be skeptical about these videos to avoid being fooled by the fakes. There's real ones and fakes, and all the fakes and staged videos have made it necessary to be cautious about them.

I don't want to say too much that could get me sued by the owner of that slaughterhouse...I'd win in court if I said all of what I know but I don't have money or time to go to court and battle it out with that person. I know he's going to be after anyone who says anything because of this. Before I finally moved down to central VT I was considering moving from the area in the Northeast Kingdom I'm from to near that slaughterhouse where I had a job lined up at...I made it a week but wanted nothing more to do with the place. I didn't see what the video shows but what I experienced made my mind up that you couldn't pay me to eat anything from there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food