U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,955,555 times

Advertisements

Is that still okay to be?

I was thinking of cut out meat, but I still love cheese and eggs. Is it still okay to be an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian?? Are there any good books on this? Any good recipes I can try out?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,125,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Is that still okay to be?

I was thinking of cut out meat, but I still love cheese and eggs. Is it still okay to be an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian??
It's OK to follow whatever diet makes you feel good, physically and emotionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Are there any good books on this? Any good recipes I can try out?

Thanks.
Look through this forum -- you'll find both book and recipe suggestions. There are also several websites which specialize in vegetarian recipes.

Best of luck!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM

127 posts, read 316,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
It's OK to follow whatever diet makes you feel good, physically and emotionally.
Agreed, i'm vegan and if you expressed interest in being vegan I would give you reasons as to why it's a good idea, but if you don't want to be one, you don't want to be one.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,188,230 times
Sure, why not?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:14 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,105,183 times
this may be a controversial thing to say for some people (I know a friend, a vegan activist, who has a pretty much "all or nothing" approach regarding this) but I think any reduction, no matter how minimal, in consumption of animal products is helpful.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,259,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
this may be a controversial thing to say for some people (I know a friend, a vegan activist, who has a pretty much "all or nothing" approach regarding this) but I think any reduction, no matter how minimal, in consumption of animal products is helpful.
Absolutely. Little baby steps. Even though I was well into adulthood when I became vegetarian, it was still a gradual process. Learning some of what's in our commercialized food supply & the politics involved is not comforting.

It'd be difficult for a person to make a snap decision and say, no more, unless they had some sort of support system. I think it would be a bit overwhelming for some.

LindaJo, I'm still engrossed in reading this and hope you don't mind my mentioning it. They have some really easy recipes, too.

Christian Vegetarian Association

wow...check out the baked rice pudding recipe!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:30 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,955,555 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try some of these out.

And yes, it does take baby steps, but I won't give up on cheese and eggs. Just love them too much to leave them out forever.

Thanks & God bless.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,259,039 times
Are you at all able to raise your own chickens?

Where I live one is allowed to keep up to three chickens w/in the city limits, I believe. I have a few neighbors who do that. Also, I have a couple of friends who raise their own chickens for eggs. I don't eat eggs, but when I did my friends' had some of the very best I'd tasted. I'm curious if you're allowed to do that?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,146,097 times
Quote:
... I think any reduction, no matter how minimal, in consumption of animal products is helpful.
I agree. I eat eggs twice a year after going to the dentist There is a wonderful New Mexico restaurant nearby that has some of the best Huevos Rancheros I've ever had. It's a special treat and tradition I started years ago, when I lived in an adjacent state, and didn't get to go to the restaurant often. Now I live a lot closer, but still enjoy my treat I note that I don't have a dozen eggs in the fridge, nor eat them often like long ago. So the issue for me is not the four eggs I eat each year, but the dozens I don't.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,687,370 times
Quote:
i agree. people should do what they feel comfortable doing. i don't like to make judgments about what people eat. i think it can be really discouraging to people if they go lacto-ovo, or still eat meat and/or dairy occasionally, and people who are vegan or vegetarian come down on them super hard about it. i think it's great when people give some thought to the impact of their diets and do what they can, even if they don't do everything i do.

i've found that the most judgmental vegans are usually the ones who've dropped it within a few years and become super anti-vegan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food