U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM

26 posts, read 39,509 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker who decided to become a vegan about a year ago. She lost about 40 pounds in the process.

She seems to be very devoted to eating vegan and will comment on her diet quite often, sometimes making others feel as if we are beneath her because we eat animal-derived foods.

But what I find so perplexing is that she will often come back to her desk after visiting the cafeteria with a plate of mashed potatoes and a salad. I KNOW the mashed potatoes are made with milk and butter (I asked the cafeteria worker who serves them). So I'm thinking that one of three things is going on here: (1) My co-worker is oblivious to the fact that mashed potatoes are made with milk and butter; (2) She is mistaking veganism with lacto-vegetarianism; or (3) She is a fake.

Do you think I should say something to her? Maybe just casually, or maybe even jokingly mention the butter and milk in the potatoes? Or do you think I should just keep my mouth shut?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 PM

13,404 posts, read 21,971,521 times
I would feign ignorance and mention next time "Oh, that's so cool that you could get the cafeteria to set aside some potatoes for you before they add the dairy products - do they charge you extra for that?"

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,150,921 times
Keep your mouth shut, then the next time she's making you feel "beneath her" you have the option of either
(A) Smiling on the inside with your knowledge
Or
(B) Calling her on it and shutting her up in front of everyone.

I like B better.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,984,732 times
Why do you give a damn what a co-worker eats or says as long as it doesn't effect how you do your job or the amount of your paycheck?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 21,971,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Why do you give a damn what a co-worker eats or says as long as it doesn't effect how you do your job or the amount of your paycheck?
I think it's due to the other employee's holier-than-thou attitude and comments. Just a guess.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM

985 posts, read 2,354,969 times
say something about vegan versions of mashed potatoes, like cauliflower mashed potatoes. Tell her you noticed they are so much healthier and surmise that it's probably because it doesn't contain the milk and butter normal mashed potatoes do. If she acts surprised you'll know she probably wasn't aware, if she doesn't then you'll know she's a hypocrite.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:34 PM

218 posts, read 509,393 times
I'm a vegan who also does 90%raw. I don't get into conversations with people about my diet or theirs unless they bring it up. I worked in management at a wonderful organic supermarket. I used to get so tired of people getting so religious about food - judging others harshly and butting into other customer's business about their food choices. Everybody trying to prove how much more pure their diet was than somebody elses. Sheesh. I wouldn't say anything to your co-worker unless the subject comes up and then you could set her straight. You are right in that she is probably mixing up lacto-ovogetarianism and vegan. Lots of people do that - smile..

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 33,519,076 times
I would ignore it because I don't see the point in purposely making someone upset even if I find them boorish.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 PM

26 posts, read 39,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think it's due to the other employee's holier-than-thou attitude and comments. Just a guess.
You are exacty right. I sit right across from her, and she makes comments such as, "The smell of your ham sandwich is making me queasy." Or, (my personal favorite), "I prefer to eat at my desk because I can't spend much time around the carnivores in the cafeteria."

So, when I see her eating foods with milk, butter, etc., I just want to know if she's just plain ignorant about what's in her food, or ignorant about what constitutes a "vegan" or if she's just a big fat fake.

Thanks for the responses. They're great!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,905,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA1961 View Post
"I prefer to eat at my desk because I can't spend much time around the carnivores in the cafeteria."
Another thing you can correct her on if you wish: Omnivores, not Carnivores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food