Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times

Advertisements

Sometimes PETA gets it just right:

Thanksgiving: Disgrace to Turkeys: PETA's Banned Ad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Sometimes PETA is obnoxious too. Deliberately trying to spoil Thanksgiving for people is assinine.

Last edited by Lilybeans; 11-25-2009 at 05:05 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

260 posts, read 548,947 times
i dont always agree with PETA but that ad is a good eye opener for most people. in a related note, i found this letter to the Editor About Thanksgiving and Turkeys:

November 18, 2009

To the Editor

With our community’s emphasis on buying locally-produced items, it’s easy to forget that there are other ethical issues regarding holiday purchases. If there will be a turkey on your table this Thanksgiving, you can be almost certain that he or she suffered a miserable life and death for your brief pleasure. There are no laws for the humane treatment of turkeys on farms or in the slaughterhouse. (Neither chickens nor turkeys are included in the Humane Slaughter Act.)

In the wild, turkeys have complex language—more than 20 different vocalizations—and can recognize one another’s voices. Rescued farm turkeys show affection toward humans, and like cats, they purr when content. But on modern “farms’—including organic farms—turkeys live their entire lives in windowless sheds with about 1 square foot of space per bird. While wild turkeys can fly, farmed turkeys cannot. In fact, because they are bred for excessive growth, many cannot walk. En route to slaughter, 10 to 15 percent of turkeys die from suffocation (an accepted industry standard.) Many others arrive in extreme pain with broken bones.

Because of the fast pace of slaughterhouses, turkeys and chickens are often insufficiently stunned before slaughter. Government estimates are that about 4 million birds per year are still conscious when dropped into the scalding tanks. Conditions for organically-produced animal foods are no better. (The Vermont slaughterhouse that was closed this month after employees were filmed kicking and elecro-shocking 2-day old calves—who were too weak to stand—was one that slaughtered animals from local organic dairy farms.)

Most Americans say that they care about animals, that they would never hurt or abuse an animal. The hard truth is that when you eat meat, eggs and dairy, you participate in animal abuse.

Thanksgiving—an expression of gratitude and a celebration of family and abundance—is the ideal time to go vegetarian. In his book “Eating Animals,” Jonathan Safran Foer says this about a vegetarian Thanksgiving: “There is no turkey. Is the holiday undermined? Or would Thanksgiving be enhanced? Would the choice not to eat turkey be a more active way of celebrating how thankful we feel? Try to imagine the conversation that would take place. This is why our family celebrates this way. Would such a conversation feel disappointing or inspiring?”

Vegetarians know the answer. It feels good when our choices reflect our true values about compassion for animals

Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Sometimes PETA is obnoxious too. Deliberately trying to spoil Thanksgiving for people is assinine.
The intent is not to spoil a holiday; I think the intent is to raise awareness. A lot of their campaigns are goofy. For them this was a pretty mild video.

Besides, no major network is going to run the ad anyway. If people want to know about the ad, they'd have to seek it out.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Guess some people can't handle the truth and would rather live in denial....

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,792 times
Seriously?? Ya, poor everyone who's Thanksgiving was ruined...boo hoo. I find it a perfect and apropriate time to once again remind people of the reality of it all. This is why it's not even considered- there's only warm and fuzzy commercials of a golden turkey around a happy family....ugh.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:23 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,792 times
oh, and thankfully I didn't see those vulgar people and the poor cow thing. Sick, bizarre. So much washes over me as I think that went ( and does ) go on.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
...I didn't see those vulgar people and the poor cow thing. Sick, bizarre....
Huh? If it's a video or graphic, don't bother posting or describing it. Just wondering what you're referring to....

Old 11-28-2009, 07:47 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Honestly, if I thought it would make one whit of difference to the treatment of animals, I would stop buying meat, but it wouldn't. I feel that by buying a free range turkey, which I believe was killed more humanely than the mass producton ones, I am doing the best I can to promote the wellbeing of the turkey (which after all would not have been born in the first place, except for food).

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
I think that if you eat meat, then hunting is the most humane way of obtaining it. I couldn't do it, because I don't like animals dieing at my hand, but if someone else wants to hunt, it's not for me to question that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food