U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 PM

475 posts, read 398,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
cutting out meat and related products does not automatically mean a person is eating healthily or in a balanced manner. Sugar and white flour are not healthful choices to fill a sizeable part of your diet, but they are consumed by many people, meat eaters and non-meat eaters alike. There are obese vegetarians, malnourished vegetarians, unhealthy vegetarians, just as there are meat-eating counterparts.

A "vegetarian" who sits on the couch all day living on cheese pizza, pasta, and beer is not going to be as healthy, as slim, or as fit as a health-minded vegetarian who makes a point to eat balanced meals that incorporate a variety of produce, whole grains, etc. And incorporates other healthful practices into his or her lifestyle regularly.

It's not about eating meat or not eating meat. It's about committing to an entire healthful lifestyle. Being a vegetarian in and of itself doesn't mean you are eating healthfully, either...there's plenty of crap you can eat/overeat and still be eating vegetarian. You still have to make healthy choices.
this !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 3,789,441 times
Yes.

Some vegetarians cheat and eat tons of pasta, cheese, pizza, and french fries.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM

349 posts, read 539,585 times
*I* am a fat vegetarian!

I've been a vegetarian for two years, and even though I've cut out all soda, junk food, meat, dairy, eggs and general garbage from my diet, I still have 26 years of bad eating habits to eliminate from my waistline.

I grew up in a meat-eating daily family, and was taught that a meal wasn't a meal without a giant hunk of dead animal, rice, noodles or potatoes.

No wonder most of my family has diabetes, right? Yeah. I'm trying to change that by changing MYSELF.

So, yes, there are fat vegetarians. But please be aware that not ALL fat vegetarians are fat by choice. Some of us just have a really long road ahead of us to lose the extra weight to fit into the typical profile of a vegetarian: skinny, healthy skin, perfect smile and bouncy hair.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM

9,768 posts, read 13,319,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
*I* am a fat vegetarian!

I've been a vegetarian for two years, and even though I've cut out all soda, junk food, meat, dairy, eggs and general garbage from my diet, I still have 26 years of bad eating habits to eliminate from my waistline.

I grew up in a meat-eating daily family, and was taught that a meal wasn't a meal without a giant hunk of dead animal, rice, noodles or potatoes.

No wonder most of my family has diabetes, right? Yeah. I'm trying to change that by changing MYSELF.

So, yes, there are fat vegetarians. But please be aware that not ALL fat vegetarians are fat by choice. Some of us just have a really long road ahead of us to lose the extra weight to fit into the typical profile of a vegetarian: skinny, healthy skin, perfect smile and bouncy hair.
I lost a ton of weight as a vegetarian, but then I put a lot of it back on a few years ago!

I became horribly depressed after losing my job and hit the bottle pretty hard. Last thing you want to do when you're frustrated, groggy, and sauced is cook a healthy dinner - pizza can be vegetarian, though, and so are Flamin' Hot Fritos, ice cream, frozen burritos with some sour cream on top... before you know it, those 34 inch jeans don't fit anymore. Then, the 36's and 38's don't, either, and you look at a picture a friend took and say, "crap..."

In my case, I also had to move from an area I loved (the SF Bay Area) up to Seattle. Though I wasn't bent up at first, before too long, I realized that the weather up there was indeed drastically worse than what I was used to. In LA and SF, I could run basically all year round and if there was a day where it rained? Oh well, tomorrow would be clearer anyways! It was drastically colder and wetter up there than I was used to or comfortable with, so I went from being able to do four or five miles to having to push myself to run more than a couple blocks.

So, the combination of being sedentary and eating foods that, while meatless, had little nutritional value and were laden with unhealthy and unnatural preservatives turned me into a fat vegetarian. I started to have heart problems and was found to be pre-diabetic, and had to claw my way back to health as I had before: by modifying my died to cut out sodium, salts, preservatives, and excessive and useless calories, I'm back down again.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 AM

349 posts, read 539,585 times
415, good to hear you've taken it back off, though. I agree about the locale- weather changes can affect a person pretty badly. I live in Pittsburgh... I know about this. Yesterday it was 40 degrees and sunny, today it's 65 and thunderstorms....

Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,167,464 times
I have actually always gained weight when on a vegatarian diet. And, I don't eat a lot of processed food, sugar, white flour, pasta etc. When I am living on veggies, fruit, beans, legumes, nuts, etc. I always gain weight. When I go back to eating fish, poultry, minimal red meat, I actually lose weight. It makes no sense except for me, I always "feel" hungry when eating a lot of fiber. When I add animal protein, I think I actually eat less.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,226,706 times
One of my friends. He was a Buddhist, but loved chocolate, garlic bread, cheese.etc.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM

3,338 posts, read 5,776,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One of my friends. He was a Buddhist, but loved chocolate, garlic bread, cheese.etc.
I thought Buddhism taught that you should eliminate desires?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,226,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I thought Buddhism taught that you should eliminate desires?
Actually I wouldn't really say he was a practising Buddhist. More because he grew up that way, probably didn't eat meat as a child. I wonder if Theravada Buddhism is stricter on vegetarianism than Mahayana. My grandmother is Buddhist too and also vegetarian, but it seems the majority of Buddhists are not.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM

3,338 posts, read 5,776,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually I wouldn't really say he was a practising Buddhist. More because he grew up that way, probably didn't eat meat as a child. I wonder if Theravada Buddhism is stricter on vegetarianism than Mahayana. My grandmother is Buddhist too and also vegetarian, but it seems the majority of Buddhists are not.
I noticed a lot of religious dietary traditions are like that, even if the person was only raised as that as a kid and now didn't really follow/believe anymore as an adult.

For example, agnostics or non-religious people who grew up as Jews or Muslims will still prefer not eating pork even if they no longer "believe" in their religion, and the same from former Hindus and Buddhists with beef or even meat in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food