Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The latest cookbook by Mollie Katzen, author of vegetarian bibles The Moosewood Cookbookand The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, includes recipes for spinach lasagna and vegetable tofu stir fry with orange ginger glaze. It also includes a recipe for beef stew. No, not "beef" stew, in which some soy-based protein substitute is dressed and spiced to look (and sort of taste) like meat. Beef stew. With real beef. From a cow.

Vegetarians Who Eat Meat - Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM

239 posts, read 710,967 times
Wow, I thought she was a vegetarian.
I just looked at the book info: "Do you love good food–the straightforward homemade kind–but feel challenged to set up a kitchen, shop for decent equipment and groceries, and tap into a few basic skills that can put a simple roast chicken or vegetarian entrée on your dinner table? "
I guess she is trying to open up to a wider market.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Just a silly article, drumming up some free PR, talking about a silly woman....anything for a buck (money, that is). Why people who eat meat are so obsessed with vegetarianism or simply "not eating meat" is just plain weird.

Who cares? Either you eat meat or you don't. Beyond that it's all about selling something - on everyone's part.

But this is way beyond precious ~ "corpsevore".

Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The latest cookbook by Mollie Katzen, author of vegetarian bibles The Moosewood Cookbookand The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, includes recipes for spinach lasagna and vegetable tofu stir fry with orange ginger glaze. It also includes a recipe for beef stew. No, not "beef" stew, in which some soy-based protein substitute is dressed and spiced to look (and sort of taste) like meat. Beef stew. With real beef. From a cow.
If there was no yellow star next to my name, I'd use much stronger language in this response, but I'll just say -- so what? Why is this "news"?

Katzen isn't a vegetarian and the cookbook isn't, either. Are you saying that someone who used to write vegetarian cookbooks can always write ONLY vegetarian cookbooks?

Pretty silly article, and I really don't see what the big deal is .....

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-05-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Not to mention that the Moosewood cookbooks (I don't know about Katzen's sole-author cookbooks) include fish recipes.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:31 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Who cares? I certainly don't. If I ate meat I wouldn't want to buy a meat-based cookbook written by a vegetarian (for the obvious reason that vegetarians don't eat meat, and I think cookbooks should be written by those who can taste what they're cooking...), but obviously Katzen isn't currently a vegetarian.

Where the article really gets it wrong is assuming that all vegetarians are vegetarians for the same reason. Even the ethical reasons for vegetarianism are varied.

It's also a strange article in that it seems to assume that all, or at least most, vegetarians are secretly eating meat on the side or have deep cravings for meat. I don't. If I did then I'd go ahead and eat it and just not be a vegetarian. There are plenty of people who eat mostly vegetarian diets but still eat some meat now and then. They're still free to write vegetarian cookbooks, and if they're good I'd buy them. And if a butcher who happens to also write an excellent vegetarian cookbook I'd buy that, too.

If Katzen was a former PETA spokesman or something this might be news. She wasn't, so the bulk of the article -- an outdated, weird, uninformed rant about former vegetarians who now eat meat -- doesn't have any relevance.

If I were to eat meat I'd go for the free-range, small-farm, local stuff, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food