U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:42 AM

23 posts, read 101,019 times

Advertisements

Actually, only about 30 percent of the people in India are vegetarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Consider, however, that nearly all of India are vegtarians and they don't have problems with it at all. The key, just as with any meal, is getting the proteins your body needs to function.

Too many people jump on the vegetarian bandwagon without realizing that it's essential to eat those foods, mostly legumes, that will provide the amino acids and proteins that omnivores would find in nearly any meat. To be a vegetarian requires a little work, not just stuffing your face with any vegetable that suits you.

Cooking methods are equally important. Here in the west we tend to over boil or otherwise overcook our vegetables so they lose their nutrient value. In the east where steaming and stir fry predominate, this is much less of an issue because those cooking methods best preserve the nutrients of the food. For example, carrots when eaten raw don't have much nutritional value because the body can't break down the cellulose that contains the nutrients in the carrots. Properly steaming, stir frying, or even careful boiling of the carrot breaks down the cellulose allowing the body to extract the most nutritive value. It's not just carrots either, many vegetables are like this.

It's a shame that so many people don't know how to prepare nutritive meals, assuming that if it nutritive then it must taste like paste. It annoys me no end that schools teach nutrition in the dullest, most tired, most uninspiring manner when really it can be quite fun.

Yes we should all wear orthopedic shoes but you don't find orthopedic shoe stores on Fifth Avenue. Same with nutrition. Taught with an eye to making great meals and it can be a greal deal of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,260,814 times
steak, meatballs, burgers, grilled chicken, roasted chicken, pork chops, turkey, salami, ham, cheese, yogurt, milk, bacon, crab, scallops, shrimp, mussels, clams, salmon, tuna, sushi, ummm....what else am I missing?

Of course, I eat everything in moderation and actually only consume "meat" a few times a week. But cheese --- every day!!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,968,118 times
Except for....I am!
I can not imagine eating meat, haven't for 20 years and my daughter never has in her 12 yrs.....and our health and bodies thank us.

But to each his own.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,039,874 times
I could be a vegetarian but I have to admit, I do love a great steak on the grill once a week. We marinate in the following: a lot of soy sauce, couple sprinkles of hot sauce, 3 garlic cloves mashed and just laying in it, dijon mustard and a little extra virgin olive oil. Cover meat with saran wrap, let it sit out and marinate at room temp for a couple of hours and then grill it! The best to use is ribeye or those little funky looking steaks that have a little fat in them (not sure of the cut). Anyway, I'd also miss chicken and fish (my fav). I do like a lot of vegetarian dishes though, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for me. My fiance though, no way - he's a meat man! LOL

Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM

22 posts, read 54,098 times
I used to love steak so much. I've been a vegetarian for 2 years now and once you get past the first week or two, you don't even miss it. I don't have any desire for meat what so ever.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 AM

23 posts, read 101,019 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6 View Post
I used to love steak so much. I've been a vegetarian for 2 years now and once you get past the first week or two, you don't even miss it. I don't have any desire for meat what so ever.
Vegeterianism does make you lose many desires.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM

845 posts, read 2,477,611 times
To me a meal is not complete unless it has meat. My mouth does not water for cauliflower.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:01 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,165,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
a big juicy hamburger off the grill. Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle & mayo on a kaiser roll. Yummy!

What's your carnivorous craving?
Same for me. I could give up chicken, pork and all beef in a heartbeat, but I LOVE cheeseburgers.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM

2,588 posts, read 4,937,576 times
Buffalo wings. Yes, probably one of the worst things in the world for you, but the tastiest things on the planet. There is something especially satisfying about ripping really spicy meat off of a bone. Primal, I suppose.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM

9,626 posts, read 23,772,478 times
I've been a vegetarian, I eat like a vegetarian, but I do have this weakness, which I cave to far too frequently, for BBQ pork ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food