Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
"My perspective of veganism was most affected by learning that the veal calf is a by-product of dairying, and that in essence there is a slice of veal in every glass of what I had thought was an innocuous white liquid —milk.”—Rynn Berry

“The cow is an exceptionally loving and gentle creature. She cries for days when her calf is taken from her. It is a pitiful sound, a pitiful sound.”—Helen Weston, former cattle rancher

“The human body has no more need for cows' milk than it does for dogs' milk, horses' milk, or giraffes' milk.”—Michael Klaper, M.D.
The semi-nomadic tribesmen, the Maasai, use as a staple the milk, meat, and blood of the cattle they raise. Governments want the Maasai to abandon their traditional ways and mimick 21st century logic.

The meat-eating Maasai are "greener" than any prius-driving ice cream eating North American.

If you have a problem with dairy farming, so be it...Cow's milk has been feeding humans for eons. I wonder how well your family would have prospered without milk and meat. Your blessed now that your style of life can allow you to do without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 PM

428 posts, read 1,181,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I care about both.

And you'll never convince me that a meat-based diet is healthier than a vegetarian one, especially given the hormones and antibiotics that are administered to the majority of food animals. Further, I'll wager that the vast majority of vegans/vegetarians don't consume nearly as much tofu and/or soymilk as non-vegetarians seem to THINK they do. I love Silk soymilk, but very rarely drink it. When I do pick up a half-gallon, it typically takes me two weeks to finish it. Same with tofu -- it's a nice [occasional] addition to a meal, and I'll admit to indulging in meat substitutes every now and then, but it's not a daily thing. And the rest of what I'm eating? Vegetables and grains. You know, the same stuff that non-vegetarians eat.

Finally, I'm glad that you like milk. I don't. It's food designed by Nature to feed baby cows, and I'm not a baby cow.
^^^^This

Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,934,504 times
About the cows not setting foot on a blade of grass. It's more than likely true, but it's a funny thing.
I worked at a commercial hog barn for a while (I avoid maple leaf pork like the plague now, after the corners they asked us to cut) and the pigs stayed indoors. They absolutely refused to go outside. They'd escape and get outside, then stop, look around and immediately bolt for the barn they'd escaped from. Even if there were several together.

I'm not saying they ought to be kept like that. It's just kinda strange is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food