Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 AM

342 posts, read 589,293 times

Advertisements

For one month I only ate vegetables,, I stayed hungry,, I dont know how they do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 AM

694 posts, read 1,229,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
For one month I only ate vegetables,, I stayed hungry,, I dont know how they do it.
Yeap, I know what you mean, I lost 10 lbs in my first month.
Than I gained weight by eating too much cheese.

Have you decided to be a vegetarian or a vegan?

Well, I am a vegetarian, I will respond from my perspective.

I don't know if you are able to afford it, but an easy way to transit is to have meat substitutes.
Trader Joe has a number of such foods, if you have one in your area.
Also, check your health food stores, you can get tasty
soy "meat" products.

Sometimes large Walmarts carry such things in their breakfast items freezer section.

Check for threads here, there is plenty of info. on easy cooking ideas.

Think beans, they are hearty, inexpensive and tasty.
Avocados as well.

If you eat cheese, look for Feta, Sams Clubs sell it for less in larger packages.
You could add it to soups and salads.

Some Progresso soups, for example, are compatible with a vegan diet; check the labels for ingredients.

Explore hummus and tofu, it's great in salads or sandwiches.

Eat egg whites omelets with salsa in top.

Don't give up, you will not regret it.
Unless one is rich enough to have a gourmet cook, I feel that a tasty and healthy diet is easiest as a vegetarian.

Last edited by learningCA; 01-23-2010 at 01:07 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 AM

342 posts, read 589,293 times
LearningCA,

Thank you for taking time out to tell me.
Iam sorry to say I went back to meat,, I eat alot of chicken and fish.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,782,361 times
Quote:
For one month I only ate vegetables,, I stayed hungry,...
Why didn’t you just eat more of them?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM

You are welcome, Renee!

I did the very same thing exactly at your age.
And then, later, I decided to try it one more time.
That was almost 10 years ago and I am still going...

This might not be the end of vegetarianism for you either, who knows?
God bless.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,017,616 times
Quote:
There's a lot more food than just vegetables that is vegetarian.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,228,839 times
Quote:
Eating only vegetables would make anyone hungry. You need protein and mass. Try beans, whole-grain breads, and meat substitutes as someone else said. And peanut-butter. I find a slice of whole-grain bread with peanut-butter on it goes a looooong way.

For what it's worth, I chose to go vegetarian about 15 years ago, didn't really know about variety, ate just veggies and salads, and fell off the wagon with a cheesesteak.

Then I stopped eating poultry when I got pet birds. I was standing in the grocery one day looking at "whole chicken, cut up" for soup, saw how much the wings were like my pets' wings, and started bawling right there.

But I didn't stop eating other forms of meat until mid-November of last year. I sponsored a turkey in the Adopt-A-Turkey program by Farm Sanctuary, and the more I learned about factory farming, the less an appetite I had for meat. Then I realized a few weeks ago that it had been almost two months since I had eaten meat and I didn't miss it at all. I wasn't planning vegetarianism like, "Okay, I'm never eating meat again starting...NOW," and I do still eat fish and seafood once in a while at restaurants, but there it is. It just kind of happened.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-23-2010 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: How could I forget peanut butter!?!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Eating only vegetables would make anyone hungry. You need protein and mass. Try beans, whole-grain breads, and meat substitutes as someone else said. And peanut-butter. I find a slice of whole-grain bread with peanut-butter on it goes a looooong way.

For what it's worth, I chose to go vegetarian about 15 years ago, didn't really know about variety, ate just veggies and salads, and fell off the wagon with a cheesesteak.

Then I stopped eating poultry when I got pet birds. I was standing in the grocery one day looking at "whole chicken, cut up" for soup, saw how much the wings were like my pets' wings, and started bawling right there.

But I didn't stop eating other forms of meat until mid-November of last year. I sponsored a turkey in the Adopt-A-Turkey program by Farm Sanctuary, and the more I learned about factory farming, the less an appetite I had for meat. Then I realized a few weeks ago that it had been almost two months since I had eaten meat and I didn't miss it at all. I wasn't planning vegetarianism like, "Okay, I'm never eating meat again starting...NOW," and I do still eat fish and seafood once in a while at restaurants, but there it is. It just kind of happened.
My trip into vegetarianism started with "bawling" over a dead chicken as well.

And, just like you, I did not tell myself "this is the last time that I will ever consume meat".

I did it one year at a time till years passed by and I found vegetarianism "agreeing" with me in so many ways.

I also went back and forth on seafood for a while before I gave it up completely.

It takes some time to get comfortable with a vegetarian diet and enjoy its infinite diversity.

Kisses for your little birds, Avienne.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM

67 posts, read 198,032 times
Whole grain pasta and brown rice keeps away hunger, too. When I first went vegetarian I depended on the meat substitutes, too, but now don't need 'em. You can do alot with a "meaty" portobello mushroom, or add pine nuts or sunflower seeds to your veggie dishes.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,620,368 times
As a family, we've cut way back on our meat eating by agreeing not to buy it and cook it at home. My daughter declared herself a vegetarian when she was about 8 and so I started making sure she had healthy alternatives to meat. The less I cooked it, the more it grossed me out when I did cook it. Now the only time we eat meat is when we eat out, and not always then, either.

Last edited by Marlow; 01-25-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food