U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 04:44 PM

465 posts, read 2,245,365 times

Advertisements

I've been cooking vegetarian for years, but am always looking for new recipes. I started eating meat about 8 months ago, but am seriously considering going back veggie. People are always saying vegetarians have nothing they can eat but salad! So untrue! Any favorite recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,367,903 times
Go to BOCABURGER
they have some great recipes there. I've made the meatless meatloaf, stuffed peppers, stroganoff and they were all really good.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Veggie Chile:
3 cans Veggie chile( ann's or Healthy harvest?)
2 cans diced tomatos with spices(drained)
various cans of beans, pintos, kidneys, black beans, chile beans
1 small can tomatos with diced chiles
minced onion, green peppers and as many hot peppers you can stand
Mix all together in a crock pot and cook all day.
Serve with cheese and soup crackers.

You never miss the meat with all the beans.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,340,067 times
I make a veggie spaghetti that is to die for....

Fresh everything, just throw in what you have in the fridge, then put in all the favorite seasonings that you like in your spaghetti, oh I like to add a small amount of red wine too. Cook on low for about 3 hours, or low in your crock pot for 6 hours. Great and you never miss the meat.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,032,568 times
My favorite source for vegetarian recipes (my meatless mondays!) is this blog called veganyumyum.com. She's creative with many many vegan friendly gourmet foods that pretty much anyone can make. Check it out

Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 AM

769 posts, read 1,980,281 times
My daughter and I enjoy trying new stuff, and one we found recently is from a Jewish recipe site (we've made many variations of this!):

4-5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
1-2 cups broth
1 can petite-cut tomatoes (28 oz)
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon coriander
salt & Black pepper to taste

Slice the potatoes and layer in a large skillet. Pour tomatoes over potatoes, then add enough broth to cover well. Sprinkle seasonings across the top. Cover and cook on medium heat until potatoes are done (usually about 45 minutes).

Variations:

Add sliced mushrooms, or sliced veggie sausage (makes a nice one-dish meal), chopped scallions.
Also, for a thicker sauce, add a small can of tomato paste.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM

769 posts, read 1,980,281 times
Another favorite is "quick stroganoff".

2 c. Cooked noodles
1 small can mushroom soup
4 oz sour cream
1 tsp garlic powder
sliced baby portabella mushrooms.

Saute mushrooms, then mix with soup, sourcream and garlic and pour over or mix into noodles.

Also yummy with some veggie ground beef.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:06 PM

5,138 posts, read 7,205,190 times
Default Tuna casserole without the tuna

I make tuna noodle casserole with out the tuna.
I like Mrs. Weiss' noodles. Cook 1 pkg for 8-9 minutes
Chop up celery,
green or red pepper (of if you like jarred pimentoes)
chopped black olives
chopped onion
frozen green peas
a cream soup (campbell's or organic)
1/2 C. milk, cream, or water

Mix everything together and top with panko bread crumbs, a little paprika, butter. I bake covered 1/2 hour on 350 and then uncover for 10-15 minutes to make a nice crust.

I also have a great recipe for broccoli mushroom casserole.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,133,761 times
I have so many favorites... but one of the staple dishes in our house is a pasta dish I make where I add the Morningstar Farms Chick Strips to it. I use whole wheat noodles and the sauce is mixture of olive oil, garlic, onion, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and any other type of vegetables I have on hand that day and feel like throwing them in. Then I add some ground flax seed meal for a good omega-3 kick. Then I mix it all together (noodles, sauce and chick strips). What a delicious meal! We love it.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,058,195 times
I made this recipe from trial and error. It's a tofu mayo. It tastes great, is low fat, and a healthy substitute for mayo.

1 container of silken tofu
2 tblsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt & pepper to taste
sometimes I add a little EVOO

Add all ingredients into food processor until smooth then drizzle olive oil into processor until you get a creamy consistency.

Also, I like to add olives, roasted red peppers or artichoke hearts, because it is good as a dip too. Basically, you can add anything you like. The more you add the more calories, keep this in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food