U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:57 AM

55,301 posts, read 53,974,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't know about that - the dna might make it even possible that we can retain our tolerance into adulthood, but most people i know who stop or cut back on consuming unfermented milk become intolerant of it.

i know that long before i became vegan in my early 20s i could no longer drink a glass of milk or even eat ice cream without getting queasy. and i know way too many people who experienced the same thing after they stopped drinking glasses of milk all the time (as most children do but few adults do) for it to be an abnormality.

i'm not questioning the veracity of that article, but i think the potential to build up a tolerance to lactose as an adult is the genetic thing, not the tolerance itself, if that makes sense.
That does make sense. Dairy doesn't bother me at all--I drink milk, eat cheese and yogurt and ice cream and it doesn't seem to bother any of my siblings or my mother (I am 51, my mother is 81.) I do know quite a few people, however, who cannot eat it without digestion issues.

Might be genetic and/or heritage--I am mostly of Dutch descent. They are big on cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
A better question is why are you considering reducing or eliminating dairy? Everyone has their own reasoning. If you tell us a little more of why you are considering this path, then I bet someone on here can relate and provide you with more insight.

And, for the record, almond milk rocks.
This is funny--I had never heard of almond milk, but just recently I was reading one of my favorite historical-fiction novelist's books, and they were drinking a lot of almond milk in the 12th century.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,650,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That does make sense. Dairy doesn't bother me at all--I drink milk, eat cheese and yogurt and ice cream and it doesn't seem to bother any of my siblings or my mother (I am 51, my mother is 81.) I do know quite a few people, however, who cannot eat it without digestion issues.

Might be genetic and/or heritage--I am mostly of Dutch descent. They are big on cheese.
you've also kept drinking milk into adulthood, though. a lot of people stop drinking straight milk as they get older (i did) or cut down on it quite a bit (just having it in coffee or cereal, for instance), and most of those people seem to lose their tolerance for it. that's just based on my personal experience though.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,594,607 times
Cool Add me to the list.....

As soon as I realized (in my late 40s) that I was lactose intolerant I eliminated all dairy from my eating lifestyle. Well, soon after, a funny thing happened.......... my tummy became flat again and I went down a size, to size 10

Over the years I've had occasion to cheat ~ old habits / strong cravings ~ but whenever I eat dairy my digestive system gets out of sorts and it takes about a week to return to normal.

So, I rely on Rice Dream for my cereal and Chocolate Almond Breeze in my morning coffee and ALSO....... cholesterol numbers went way down

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,559,700 times
dairy, in many people, causes congestion, not just sinus/throat/lung congestion, either. it can be mucous forming in the intestines.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM

5,333 posts, read 9,796,857 times
Full-fat cheeses give me pimples and ice cream makes me cough from throat congestion. Don't like the taste of milk, and it also seems to create throat discomfort.

I eat low-fat, plain yogurt and non-fat cottage cheese with no problems...

Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM

467 posts, read 1,035,091 times
I personally eliminated dairy over the years a long time ago due to suspecting I was lactose intolerant. I've always disliked the taste of cows milk too.

I'm gluten-free and I love unsweetened almond milk.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you've also kept drinking milk into adulthood, though. a lot of people stop drinking straight milk as they get older (i did) or cut down on it quite a bit (just having it in coffee or cereal, for instance), and most of those people seem to lose their tolerance for it. that's just based on my personal experience though.
Sounds plausible.

I eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Just can't imagine eating them without a glass of milk!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,281,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Read the book "The China Study". It is the longest nutritional study in history. The author of the book advises against using dairy because it has an animal protein casein. Casein is a protein found in milk and other dairy products. In his book, The China Study, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, reports how he discovered, over many years of cancer research, a possible link between animal protein intake and cancer development. Although Campbell was raised on a farm and loved his milk and eggs and sausage, his scientific curiosity was peaked through the research he conducted as well as reviewed. Because of these potential links he found, he was finally able to receive funding to study the possible effects of protein on cancer.
What he said!

I also read in (I'm pretty sure) Good Medicine magazine that the higher the dairy intake in a given country, the higher the level of Type I diabetes. The immune system attacks one of the products of dairy breakdown in the gut that is almost identical to the islet cells in the pancreas, and voila, you have a lifelong metabolic cripple who costs thousands of dollars a year to keep alive.

And I've read in several different places that the more dairy you eat, the HIGHER the rate of osteoporosis and fractures. Dairy apparently creates a violently acidic reaction in your bloodstream that forces your body to leach calcium out of the bones to compensate. Ironic, eh? Over-acidic blood also contributes to chronic inflammation which is a major player in ALL the Top Ten killers : Type II diabetes, cancer, heart disease and obesity.

And most of the people on earth are lactose-intolerant. Only about 10-20% are not.

So it improves things a lot to cut the dairy.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,338,736 times
I just learned this week that the European Union and many other countries in the world (Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, South Korea, etc.) BAN the import of US beef and dairy because so much of our beef (and dairy cows) are genetically modified and injected with the rBGH (bovine growth hormone). rBHG is used to increase dairy cows' milk production by some 20% or so and is linked to something called IGF-1 (Insulin Growth Factor-1). Humans have this in their bodies naturally, but increased levels have been linked to some cancers, like breast and colon.

rBGH Story - Reporters' Version
rBGH, animal and human risks - The Issues - Sustainable Table

It seems stunning to me that with our FDA and USDA, we're willing to feed our own people what other countries won't because they have concerns that it's bad for their citizens' health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food